Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Away Support

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
you really do love a little dig at our fans, don't you eh? Away we're up there with the best, imo, certainly in comparison to the majority of away fans at the Amex the last few seasons. Always noisy when I go away (which admittedly isn't that often thesedays) - going way back into the lower league days.

And the last few home atmospheres at away games have also highlighted that the issue of atmosphere at the Amex is by no means limited to us. Sheff Utd are 6th and the atmosphere sounded very average from them yesterday.

In fairness, at home in the PL the Amex is more often than not tense and quiet once games unfold. But so’s virtually every other PL home support, in a non-derby.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Are we still doing this for every game? Really?

I thought it was decent enough yesterday.

You can basically divide our away support into five categories:

1) The wrinklies - been going since the 60's - they've seen it all before and are enjoying it whilst they can - generally less vocal due to being worn out on the way.
2) The mature and sensible - just about remember the Goldstone, enjoy an away trip but probably also like a trip to a cathedral or cultural event before or after the game - reasonably vocal.
3)The teenagers/twenties/WeareBrighton - get totally slaughtered on the way and before the game, miss at least 10 mins of the game in the toilet/looking for their seat/pissing off the two groups above off - sing all the time apart from when they are having a go at the team for some minor error or have a go at some of the above groups for not supporting the team and then post on twitter how shit/brilliant we are depending entirely on result not how we played.
4) The Albion inbetweeners - any floaters who should be in one of the other groups but for various social reasons have ended up in this group. A mixed bag.
5) Under 13's - generally there with 1), 2) or 4) either quiet or annoyingly vocal if you're stood within a few feet of them.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Maybe it was just where I was stood then. Frustrating though.

It all depends where you stand. We had plenty going on around us yesterday. Ive also been in your situation usually when getting first Tier tickets. I try to pick seats where i think most singers will go. Usually as central as possible and towards the back.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
you really do love a little dig at our fans, don't you eh? Away we're up there with the best, imo, certainly in comparison to the majority of away fans at the Amex the last few seasons. Always noisy when I go away (which admittedly isn't that often thesedays) - going way back into the lower league days.

And the last few home atmospheres at away games have also highlighted that the issue of atmosphere at the Amex is by no means limited to us. Sheff Utd are 6th and the atmosphere sounded very average from them yesterday.

I like the Premier League and want it to be as lively and loud as virtually every other league in Europe. And I want Brighton to be best and loudest, because it helps the team. Yesterday I wrote that I was happy to hear the Albion fans, and that if you keep that up, you're also going to keep the club up. When I watch games and hear silence only broken by booing or harassing certain players, yes I like to have a little dig and I dont believe to be entirely uncalled for despite my armchair position.

Anytime I mention that English football and English football fans deserve a better supporter culture (regardless of team) and that it would be great if fans/clubs/politicans all over UK should cooperate to achieve this I get hedgehog reactions though, as people consider it some kind of personal attack.

Its not really meant to be seen as a "haha, you suck"-thing - Its just that I love getting the type of goose bumps I get from watching a Dortmund game on TV and would be very happy to see something similar in England.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

I thought it was decent enough yesterday. You can basically divide our away support into five categories:

2) The mature and sensible - just about remember the Goldstone, enjoy an away trip but probably also like a trip to a cathedral or cultural event before or after the game - reasonably vocal.

Nail us x4 yesterday. Went up on Friday. Had a good night out (some great pubs just off West Street), curry, snoring by midnight, cathedral on Sat moring, pub, sung ourselves hoarse. There did seem to be a LOT of category one yesterday.

1) The wrinklies - been going since the 60's - they've seen it all before and are enjoying it whilst they can - generally less vocal due to being worn out on the way.
3)The teenagers/twenties/WeareBrighton - get totally slaughtered on the way and before the game, miss at least 10 mins of the game in the toilet/looking for their seat/pissing off the two groups above off - sing all the time apart from when they are having a go at the team for some minor error or have a go at some of the above groups for not supporting the team and then post on twitter how shit/brilliant we are depending entirely on result not how we played.
4) The Albion inbetweeners - any floaters who should be in one of the other groups but for various social reasons have ended up in this group. A mixed bag.
5) Under 13's - generally there with 1), 2) or 4) either quiet or annoyingly vocal if you're stood within a few feet of them.

Good categories.

It's the first time I've commented on the support and by the looks of it, I was wrong and it was just a case of where I was. I'm in the 3 category BUT not a teenager, dont miss the match, dont slate players personally on social media unless they've been utter toilet and sometimes slate players if Im annoyed at our performances, but dont we all?

I was very surprised at the large numbers of category ones though.

Depends where you were in a stand like that.

Ever since we were promoted we added 1k 'loyal' fans to our away following, and sometimes you're going to be surrounded by this lot and yes, it's desperately depressing as the majority of them are mutes who have no idea what is expected of an away crowd.

We traditionally took 1000-2000 for a long time and I still see the same faces.

Completely agree. I really dont get these snobs who give looks when someone swears or someone is loud. One of the blokes even tapped me on the shoulder to ask me to stop being so full on as it were. No joke.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Can't fault that. I'm definitely two. Seen one or two splendid cathedrals. You forgot art galleries though.....

Although those in your second category have many years of Goldstone memories, my first match in 1977.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Away games are no longer spontaneous, I’ve said before some of my best away days have been last minute decisions. When the camera zoomed in on the first couple of rows of Albion fans at the Emirates it looked like a mob from an old people’s home who barely cracked a smile when Maupay headed in the winner.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
The cost of attending away games must be a factor effecting the demographic of away support these days.
The disposable income of anyone living in the south-east is a lot less than for most other areas of the country.
This makes those in category 2 (above) more common than the younger and more vocal who are in category 3.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Back in the day there used to be a siege mentality for away matches, everyone would know each other, have a few beers, make as much noise as possible, give everything to help the team win, try to intimidate the opposition and be really p***** off if we lost.

Now it’s balloons, pictures with the mascot, Costa before and a shrug of the shoulders if we lose.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

It's possible there is a definite cross over between groups 1 and 3...

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Depends where you were in a stand like that.

Ever since we were promoted we added 1k 'loyal' fans to our away following, and sometimes you're going to be surrounded by this lot and yes, it's desperately depressing as the majority of them are mutes who have no idea what is expected of an away crowd.

We traditionally took 1000-2000 for a long time and I still see the same faces.

..and before our current high flying times a lot less than 1000 the further away from Brighton we were. Singing at away matches seemed more fun, and necessary, when there were only a few hundred of us at away games up north, braving it at the likes of Hartlepool, Carlisle, Stockport etc.

Now with 3000 going it's harder to get the singers in one place, same as the North Stand at the Amex, as it's become impossible to sit(stand) where you want like we could before the stand was sold out.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thought it was good on Saturday - probably one of the best away atmospheres we've generated this season
United were poor - was expecting much more noise from them. As many early leavers as the Amex too

I'm a Cat 2 (wouldn't go to a cathedral, might do a local parkrun before a game though) and JCL

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I used to go away loads for about a 15 year period, and pretty much stopped due to family commitments around the time we got to the Amex. Went to Arsenal this year and was a bit sad to see how different our away support was. It used to be a lot more rowdy and a lot more fun. Also did Palace which was more like a standard away game from ten years ago than an away game at our rivals. I would be be much happier to bring my kids to away games now, but they aren't as fun. Sign of the times, I guess.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Can't fault that. I'm definitely two. Seen one or two splendid cathedrals. You forgot art galleries though.....

Although those in your second category have many years of Goldstone memories, my first match in 1977.

Are you me? That's just what I was thinking, I'm a sort of category 2a! - with a couple of pubs thrown in as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here