Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Walking from Brighton to Falmer

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I'd be inclined to walk (or take the bus from the town centre) to the top of Devil's Dyke and follow the South Downs way from there, down, up, and half way along, Ditchling Beacon, and then drop down to the Amex, enjoying the (best available) views of the ground as you approach. On the right day (any day it isn't raining really) and with the right footwear, that would be a genuinely stunning walk.

Swansman wont be able to assess this lovely route because, having never set foot in Sussex, let alone Brighton, he needs Google Street View.
Unless in Sweden they have a Google Drone View:ffsparr:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I sometimes walk to the Amex providing the weather's good, mainly just to avoid transport hassle. The trek up Lewes Road is tiresome though. If coming by train, there's a decent walk you can do from Preston Park station. Up Surrenden Rd, cross Ditchling Rd, down through Wild Park to Coldean, then cut through Coldean woods. Also walked a couple of times over the Downs from Plumpton station, which is a fantastic route on a sunny day. Can stop off at the Half Moon for a pint, up to the top of the Downs then down Ridge Road all the way to the Swan. Another alternative is from Lewes via Kingston and Juggs Road, though quite steep and arduous in places!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Don’t get all the negativity, It amused me. (Although I am easily pleased according to [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION])

Ramblings of a mad man? Maybe, but we embrace all sorts on here :smile:

Not read it all but beats some of the weird threads on here by a kilometre

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
When I was a student I often walked from Brighton to Falmer where I was living. Sometimes in the small hours after a night out which when I think about it was quite a stupid thing to do baring in mind the area and it being around the time of the Wild Park murders. It didn’t take as long as you would think. Maybe just over an hour.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'd be inclined to walk (or take the bus from the town centre) to the top of Devil's Dyke and follow the South Downs way from there, down, up, and half way along, Ditchling Beacon, and then drop down to the Amex, enjoying the (best available) views of the ground as you approach. On the right day (any day it isn't raining really) and with the right footwear, that would be a genuinely stunning walk.

It's a nice walk (although the walk from Dyke Road to the Dyke isn't pleasant - there's no path or pavement for a lot of it). But this would take a hell of a long time: it's at least four hours.

I remember doing this very walk (in reverse) with the kids and dog about five years ago and took about five/six hours and that was getting the bus from the Hilltop cafe. Even the dog looked fed up

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Never heard of! Interesting and fascinating.

That would be insanely freaky and uncomfortable so I really dont hope so.

Why dont ya'll head over back to Aaron Connollys Instagram and tell him how shit he is, or back to the Caroline Flack thread and tell everyone how good you are compared to the idiots out there. Or you know, just shut up.

Oh dear another brave keyboard warrior...

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Part 1... part 2 coming tomorrow or something

As a healthy man with too much time on my hands, I was immediatly intrigued when I read that you can walk from Brighton to Falmer. "The journey is relatively straightforward, you just head straight up Lewes Road". As someone who has never put his foot in the United Kingdom, it becomes less obvious - I don't even know if you walk on the left or the right side. My refusal to join the evolution of the species also leaves me without any type of GPS equipment, meaning it would not necessarily be obvious to me the day I finally come for a visit.

But still... when I was younger I always dreamed of a Lord of the Ringsesque journey. Walking in a beautiful landscape with birds singing. occasionally stopping for a beer at the taverna, engulfing the bars with their bar brawls and waltzing with the ladies with their lady parts. Adventure and fulfillment. Hearing about the two pubs on the road - "The Bear" and "The Gladstone" - make me believe that my dreams may come true. I could truly be Frodo. Not only in the sense of going to the AMEX and throwing that bottle cap on the pitch - but also in the sense that the journey in itself could be spectacular.

I am not a complete fu*king utopian though. "Always prepared" is not my middle name, but somewhere at some point, surely I told someone that it is. I need to make the journey once on Google Maps through their street view, despite spoiling a lot of surprises.

Looking at it, "Lewey Road" seems to be a somewhat incoherent description, so in order to grasp it I will simply decide that it begins where the "Upper Lewey Road / A270" conjures with the "Seemingly Nameless Road / A270" and simply turns into "Lewey Road". According to Google Maps, this happens somewhere close to the Machine Mart, where I suppose the citizens of Brighton come to get their machines.

While not entirely sure that this place resembles where Frodo and Sam began their adventure, it seems like a very nice road. You can get a beer on "The Booze Corner" or a meal of Chinese food at the "Dragon", as well as unkown items from John Hilton. Moving down the road, past the beautiful building where the dead but nicely intended "Fresh Start Community Center" is situated and further down the road with all of its small, pitoresque little stores, I meet my first disappointment.

"Welcome to Lewes Road's Co-op", the disappointment says. It is some sort of food store, which is acceptable, but the building in itself is too ugly. It destroys the shattered unity of the road. This is where I reach for the marker in my pocket and write "NO" on the facade. On the opposite side of the road, there's an almost equally ugly building, saved from my judgement only through the pretty nice mural.

I keep walking, past "The Store" - a friendly little place where they seem to sell buckets - and stop at "Wine Me Up". Seems like they are into anarchism since they have a sign that says "Off Licence". I go for a quick visit and ask them if they could sell me a bottle of their cheapest, home-brewed wine.

"Good choice, sir", says the man behind the counter and lean down to get a bottle of "Lewey Road Roadkill Cherry". I give him the required amount of money and keep walking. I notice the Pet Spa and obviously think "****ing foreigners" but secretly dig the bubbles on the facade.

Then I suddenly become very happy.

Close to a completely retarded bus stop not facing the street, there is a house - or maybe two, depending on how you see it - painted in red wine red and orange... orange. Perfectly split. A rebellion against the grey world. Seems like a private house, so I restrain myself from entering the building and keep walking.

My happy mood continue as I see the graffiti mural to my left, painted on a wall that hide a yard where there is obviously party, prostitution and balloons. "Embrace the chaos", it says on the wall, and I decide I will probably have a closer look at my way back. As for now, I need to keep moving towards Falmer.

Next to the rave-backyard, there is a big - or at least long - house complex looking like the lovechild of UK & Soviet architecture. On the opposite side of the road, there is a church - St Martin - in rougly the same boring brown-gray colour. Now in a temporary state of disgust, I once again turn my head to the long house complex at the other side of the road, where I notice that a small piece of the housing complex is in a completely other dull colour, and while I am a sucker for asymmetry, it still bothers the shit out of me so I rush down the road.

Things go back a bit to normal; not as cozy as in the beginning of my journey, but not really bad either. On the opposite side of the "Lewey Road Conveniencestore", there is another "Wine Me Up" and I feel betrayed. I thought I had bought my wine in a small scale local business, but it seems to be a chain. What bullshit. But I do have wine.

This is the end of what seems to be the cozy city centre and the road gets broader. Seems like I am now entering the residential areas and I feel a bit lost, but I can feel the smell of sparrow feces and I can see the tree tops. I know what this means. Yes, indeed. It is a park. A pretty boring and ugly one, it seems, but still a park. Nature, you know.

I mean, not even Frodo & Sam spent all their journey in paradise. They probably passed a few strictly planned city parks that Tolkien just didnt bother to describe.

At the end of the park, the road splits and I don't really know where to go. I see another church and a few people waiting for the bus at the bus stop (facing the road and everything, great stuff) and I ask "where am I?".

A gentleman gently responds: "St Peters church".

"I'm going to the AMEX, could you point out the direction?"

"Well..." he says, "you want it to be quick or beautiful?"

I don't even have to think. "Beautiful!"

I feel a surge of energy, a burst of sudden strength. "I want to the cozy little houses with the cozy little people, I want to dance and sing, I want the leafy parks, I want to stroll by the broken treehouse of your beloved childhood!"

The old man is smiling nervously.

"Well... I'd give you that.. but then you wouldnt end up in Falmer."

"Oh. Well. First things first..."

He points in a certain direction. "That way, my son. Just head that way, and when you start to hear the chants.."
We both burst out in laugther.

"Nah", he continues, "just go in that direction and when you hear the 'Jurassic Park' theme playing inside your head, you know its the soul of the North Stand speaking".

Off your bloody rocker...

(Welcome back Swansman)

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Decent post, I like an adventure in a new place.

Personally though, I'd avoid the route you've mapped, and weather and time permitting, I'd get the bus to Rottingdean and plot a route from there, walk some country lanes or paths through the fields.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
.......But still... when I was younger I always dreamed of a Lord of the Ringsesque journey........./QUOTE]

For your Lord of the Ringsesque journey I thought this Tolkein inspired map of the South Downs Way would be appropriate and pretty much takes you to Falmer...

Dan_Bell_South_Downs_National_Park_A3.jpg

And if you want to further mythologise your quest you might be pleased to learn that the Falmer are a race of snow elves in a game called skyrim..
https://skyrimfansite.com/the-falmer-players-guide/
Screenshot_2020-02-19-02-06-14.png

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Where's part 2?

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
I've walked from Portslade to the Amex quite a few times. Straight along the seafront, then turn up at the Steine and carry on up Lewes Road. 8 miles, no hills, takes about 2 hours, gives me a chance to catch up on some podcasts. I'll be doing it again soon, once the weather perks up.

(NOT in jogging bottoms though, I hasten to add).

Good man. I often park up in The Drive and walk to the ground. Makes me feel less guilty about chomping on a pie. If I feel tired on the way back I’ll hop on a bus somewhere along Lewies Rd. Easy as.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Good man. I often park up in The Drive and walk to the ground. Makes me feel less guilty about chomping on a pie. If I feel tired on the way back I’ll hop on a bus somewhere along Lewies Rd. Easy as.

I've only walked there and back once I think. That was a bit of a killer though, and wasted valuable post-match pub time, so I always get the train/bus back now and save my aching thighs.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I think a few more might be trying the walk on Saturday if they're nervous about being packed in trains and buses in the present climate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here