Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Cover versions that should never have seen the light of day

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
What!?

Clearly not one of his best albums, but it's got Watch that Man, The Jean Genie, Drive in Saturday and Time on it. All stone cold classics.

I bought this album, aged 12, after seeing him doing Starman on TOTP. It was my first album purchase. I was enormously disappointed that Starman wasn't on it, so Ziggy Stardust became my second album purchase.

He later produced some FAR inferior albums, IMHO.

Brilliant Album, second only to Low in my opinion.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
What!?

Clearly not one of his best albums, but it's got Watch that Man, The Jean Genie, Drive in Saturday and Time on it. All stone cold classics.

I bought this album, aged 12, after seeing him doing Starman on TOTP. It was my first album purchase. I was enormously disappointed that Starman wasn't on it, so Ziggy Stardust became my second album purchase.

He later produced some FAR inferior albums, IMHO.

I’m don’t mean the whole of Aladdin Sane, this thread is about crap cover versions, and IMO Bowie’s Lets spend the night together, is an awful cover. It’s just not up to his, admittedly high standard, and is the worst track on a good album.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I’m don’t mean the whole of Aladdin Sane, this thread is about crap cover versions, and IMO Bowie’s Lets spend the night together, is an awful cover. It’s just not up to his, admittedly high standard, and is the worst track on a good album.

Gotcha.

Agreed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oh my!

I saw the title and thought this must be some strange joke - but no. What sort of lunatic thought that this was in any way a good idea? I am truly stunned.

I can remember the Guardian review of this like it was yesterday. It went something like:

One can only imagine the feeling in the studio as they patted themselves on the back for pushing musical boundaries....not realising part of the reason musical boundaries exist is to prevent multiple yachted rock bloaters attempting covers like this.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Guns and Roses. Sympathy for the Devil.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Somewhere in storage I have a free NME cover CD of Cure covers. It even has a piece at the beginning where Grumpy Bob explains reasons for band doing covers and what makes a good cover iho. The CD itself is a mixed bag but I recall enjoying listening to the explanation

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Worse than Little Drummer Boy? :ohmy:

As an aside, that Decca collection is sublime. Happy Land, London Boy.... apart from Laughing Gnome, obvs. Inspiration for te Smurfs :facepalm:.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here