Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Cover versions that should never have seen the light of day

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
OK, we've had the thread on great cover versions - and there were some truly excellent ones.

But what about the other side, cover versions that were so awful that the master tape should have been taken straight to the nearest incinerator?

I can think of four off the top of my head

Madonna - American Pie. Why, oh, why?
Eric Clapton - I shot the sheriff. Bob Marley's song is suffused with anger, Clapton's has the world-weariness of a commuter who's missed the 8.32 from Dorking.
Vanilla Fudge - You keep me hanging on. H-D-H's song is a mini pop masterpiece. A tale of love gone wrong in three sprightly minutes, Vanilla Fudge's take has zero emotion, zero spark and zero understanding

The worst of all though has to be Bryan Ferry's Hard Rain's Gonna Fall. Dylan's song about the possibility of a nuclear war (written at a time when such a thing was a real possibility) becomes a merry pub sing-a-long in Ferry's hands. It's a disaster all right.

I'm sure there are many, more that should never have been released.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
OK, we've had the thread on great cover versions - and there were some truly excellent ones.

But what about the other side, cover versions that were so awful that the master tape should have been taken straight to the nearest incinerator?

Eric Clapton - I shot the sheriff. Bob Marley's song is suffused with anger, Clapton's has the world-weariness of a commuter who's missed the 8.32 from Dorking.
Vanilla Fudge - You keep me hanging on. H-D-H's song is a mini pop masterpiece. A tale of love gone wrong in three sprightly minutes, Vanilla Fudge's take has zero emotion, zero spark and zero understanding

The worst of all though has to be Bryan Ferry's Hard Rain's Gonna Fall. Dylan's song about the possibility of a nuclear war (written at a time when such a thing was a real possibility) becomes a merry pub sing-a-long in Ferry's hands. It's a disaster all right.

I actually quite liked the Vanilla Fudge version [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Very shallow but I can think of two reasons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4RDB-mMDJg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'll post this on behalf of Mrs T who literally pulls her own ears off whenever this comes up on my iPOD shuffle in the car.

Needless to say I love it.

'Act' is half of the legendary Propaganda, and I have a soft spot for clueless German singers :lolol:

There is nothing remotely appropriate about this cover - but it is, at least, not simply a copy like the other shit I posted above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtwUJ2kTCdY

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here