Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] The continued drop in English language standards.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Not satisfied with the prevalent use of "of" instead of "have", e.g. "You should of listened to that bloke on the radio", or the blackboard nail scraping annoyance of "was" instead of "were", e.g. "We was down the pub last night", I came across another nugget of incendiary grammatical ineptitude today. Instead of the use of "weren't", the knuckle dragging imbecile had the sheer audacity to use "want". I'm actually crying as I write this, e.g. "We want down the pub yesterday, we were at home".

Lord, give me strength.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I got a text from a snooker friend last week. “Was you thinking of going down the club tonight?”

Loved it. My only regret is not going down, as I definitely should of.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Haitch does it for me every time, although I think that’s how it’s taught now.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Not satisfied with the prevalent use of "of" instead of "have", e.g. "You should of listened to that bloke on the radio", or the blackboard nail scraping annoyance of "was" instead of "were", e.g. "We was down the pub last night", I came across another nugget of incendiary grammatical ineptitude today. Instead of the use of "weren't", the knuckle dragging imbecile had the sheer audacity to use "want". I'm actually crying as I write this, e.g. "We want down the pub yesterday, we were at home".

Lord, give me strength.

Presumably, this was spoken rather than written? The elision of the s in wasn't is fairly common in certain southern dialects. I probably do it myself sometimes.

If it was written, it's a consequence of the pronunciation. The same as a spoken "should've" being written as should of. A sure sign that the person isn't particularly into reading but nothing to get too upset about, is it?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
A large number of posters on NSC do not seem to know the difference between then and than which drives me much more crazy than it should do.

'I would rather go to Selhurst then Fratton park'. This would mean you would like to go to both, one after the other in fact :lol:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I got a text from a snooker friend last week. “Was you thinking of going down the club tonight?”

Loved it. My only regret is not going down, as I defiantly should of.

Corrected for you.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
A large number of posters on NSC do not seem to know the difference between then and than which drives me much more crazy than it should do.

'I would rather go to Selhurst then Fratton park'. This would mean you would like to go to both, one after the other in fact :lol:

Maybe that’s what they was meaning.

So like they could of wanted to go to Selhurst than Fratton Park, then went to both.

The times they are a messed-up.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Lord, give me strength.

I think you have to much time on your hands!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I is so cross! I culd of exploded.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The thing that is really, really grinding my gears at the moment are the announcers who use the glottal stop, obviously in an attempt to be edgy and relevant. Heard it on Sky yesterday, exhorting me to watch a match involving a team called Manchester Uni'ed. However I've also heard adverts, sorry, trailers, on BBC using the same language. I found myself shouting "UniTED! UniTED!" at the telly in response. Honestly don't go on the ****ing TV until you've learnt to speak the ****ing language you thick *****.

And relax.

Although the fact it pisses off a white male in his sixties; well, job done I suppose.

Last edited:

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

Lord, give me strength.

Continued or continuous ? continued suggests it started stopped and restarted.

I am usually a bit crap with less and fewer and not always spot on with I and Me.

Pet hates;
1 Degrees of uniqueness, especially very unique.
2 Bored of is used so frequently it is almost the accepted norm, rather than bored with.
3 Superexcited - this one requires a no holds barred blanket immigration ban.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Lord, give me strength.

That 'want' is more lazy diction than bad English usually though.......just dropping the s from 'wasn't'.............'should of' (written) is a far more serious crime in my view (I can't tell you how often I have to correct this at work, usually from otherwise very bright, almost always uni-educated but young - people). Apparently I am being 'pedantic' when I point this out..............FFS. That, and f***ing grocer's apostrophes that appear when anything is pluralised. Really grinds my gear's. :mad:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Lord, give me strength.

Seriously though, I know what you mean. These things always grate with me, but I just work on the basis that, if you can understand what someone is saying, then it could be worse.

It’s lack of punctuation that gets me sometimes.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
The one that gets me is using a k instead of a g, as in somethink instead of something.

I even hear it from bloody BBC presenters!

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
And don't even get me started on the use / misuse of the word 'like' in a spoken sentence :down:

My son got a verbal pounding from me and his grandparents yesterday with his constant use/misuse of said word...….made worse by the fact he didn't even realise that it was slipping into (like) near enough every sentence uttered by him over the kitchen table

The times they is a changing...…..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here