Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jose Izquerdo

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Any news on his injury?

We lack pace, something he gives us.

After an injury that bad, i'll be very pleasantly surprised if the pace he had ever comes back.

We've had plenty where they've never been the same after bad injury, (especially those whose game relies on turning, acceleration and power of the mark) and we've never had someone out for two years that I can remember.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Play his pet pig instead. You know as soon as he trotters onto the pitch it will be a crackling atmosphere. I bet he’ll be bringing home the bacon once he’s had a swill of his energy drink. Graham Potter will be in clover at the thought of a possible trough-ee on the horizon and knowing that it’s been done in sty-le.

I’m frazzled and I apologise for being such a rind-up merchant. My hat, my coat and the abattoir await me. :flypig: :drink:

Shocking, shocking stuff.

And....carry on! :clap:

ps wrt OP post: Jose is injured....when he's not injured we may see him play again.

Seagulls over Essex

Jun 4, 2004
Leigh-on-Sea
Play his pet pig instead. You know as soon as he trotters onto the pitch it will be a crackling atmosphere. I bet he’ll be bringing home the bacon once he’s had a swill of his energy drink. Graham Potter will be in clover at the thought of a possible trough-ee on the horizon and knowing that it’s been done in sty-le.

I’m frazzled and I apologise for being such a rind-up merchant. My hat, my coat and the abattoir await me. :flypig: :drink:

When he does finally return I hope he doesn't make a pig's ear of it.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Think being out this length of time means its probably PL career ending but would probably stand up to a lower level of footy

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
When’s his contract up ? I don’t think he will play for us again

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Think being out this length of time means its probably PL career ending but would probably stand up to a lower level of footy

The best case scenario, is that he gets fit enough to get a proper pre-season in place for next season, there's no lasting damage, and he manages to regain the explosive power and pace on which his game relies. We can then assess in January whether he's injury free and we can offer him another deal.

There are a fair few optimistic if's in there

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
When a player is out for as long Jose has been/will be are they still on full wages? Or would the club have a clause in contract dropping him down to half wages or something while he convalesces?

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Has anyone yet said in this thread that he is very close to a return? Because genuinely that is what I have heard.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Apologies, I didn’t have time to read the entire thread at the time. I do concur with those who feel he will never get anywhere near his original pace back, and we’ll be looking at a substantial write-off, unfortunately because he was a good guy, but I can’t see him coming back to PL level now.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
The clubs re-submit their squad at the start of February after the January transfer window has closed. The Premier League published these on Thursday. Obviously Bong wasn't in Albion's as he had been transferred to Nottm Forest.

Clubs can name UP TO 25 players in the squad. You don't have to, and often clubs don't. Albion have named 24.

I'm not sure what the rules are about adding a player to the squad - I think it has been done in the past but I'm not sure if it is still allowed. Regardless, I have absolutely no reason to think Albion are contemplating bringing anyone else in to use up the 25th spot.

Following that link Brighton have named a 25 man squad and it includes Izquierdo.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Colombia. But he played for us injured as well.

Personally, I don't think he's the type of player who would profit from playing for Potter. He seems better suited to a more rigid formation and being fed the ball in the areas he wants to receive it in. He's clearly not a wing back so he'd be behind March on flexibility only. He's a dangerous player on his day, but it's not been his day for a couple of years.

Although I tend to agree, how would he know given every ball ever played to him was played behind him, making him check his run and get surrounded by players? My biggest frustration with him wasn't actually due to him, more to do with our utter ineptitude in playing the ball in front of his run.

Problem is, we haven't seen him fit since early 2018.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
When a player is out for as long Jose has been/will be are they still on full wages? Or would the club have a clause in contract dropping him down to half wages or something while he convalesces?

He'll be on full whack. Injury is just part and parcel of being a professional athlete and something that clubs have to factor in when employing a squad of players.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
After an injury that bad, i'll be very pleasantly surprised if the pace he had ever comes back.

We've had plenty where they've never been the same after bad injury, (especially those whose game relies on turning, acceleration and power of the mark) and we've never had someone out for two years that I can remember.

Steve Penney was a perfect example of that!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
er.

Yes, yes he is (was).

In one of his very few games last season, whilst half fit, he still managed to burn off Adama Traore. It was near the south west corner. Gave a massive fist pump. He loves being fast. Hope he gets back to somewhere near what he had

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Apart from the speed, he can actually shoot and hit the target from more than 10 yards, and wants to try to. He's one of the few players we have who isn't entirely predictable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here