Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] RIP Wing Cdr Paul Farnes

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-51306750

The last surviving Battle of Britain ace pilot from World War Two has died aged 101.
Wing Cdr Paul Farnes was among the 3,000 airmen - The Few - who defended England's skies in 1940.
He died at his home in Hampshire on Tuesday morning, the Battle of Britain Memorial Trust said.
Paying tribute, it described him as "distinguished man - who was generous with his time in support of the trust".
The trust added Wing Cdr Farnes was the last member of The Few fit enough to be able to attend the aerial conflict's memorial day in 2019.
It said he had "proudly" represented his RAF colleagues at the service of commemoration just a week before his 101st birthday, in July.
The trust said Wing Cdr Farnes was "very proud" of his Distinguished Flying Medal (DFM), which he received for his exploits in the Battle of Britain.
His tally was six enemy aircraft destroyed, one probably destroyed and six damaged, the trust added.
In 2015, the then retired Sqn Ldr described the "moving" moment he and his comrades were spontaneously applauded during a service at Westminster Abbey to mark the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
main-qimg-0a470efa1adc2d84e4c6a8222ab29b1b

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Thanks for posting. Lest we forget....

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
"Flying up the railway from Brighton to Kenley, spotted a Junkers 88 - gave him a few bursts and he crash landed at Gatwick!"

RIP Wing Cdr Paul Farnes - Last of the Few

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
" after shooting him down the station commander took me to meet the pilot , i went to shake his hand , he wasn't that interested " .

It's somewhat eerie to me , to think that all those brave men are now deceased and are but fading memories to those now that take their way of life for granted , i hope we never forget , R.I.P Sir .

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I dread to think how frightening it must have been to get in any aircraft
and take to the skies in 1940 when you knew the chance of coming back were
so slim; whether fighter or bomber on either side of the battle.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I was born 15 years after the end of WW2 and growing up I was surrounded by individuals who lived through the war, I was in Orr of them all.
I clearly remenmber a chap who lived on the Holingbury Estate who had suffered horrific burns, he looked very scary to us as children and as children do we would stare which must have made him feel self conscious.
Back then the Armistice parades were very well attended and my Parents would take us to attend the main one in Brighton every year, On one of these I spotted the same airman who was in his flying officers uniform and medals and I found he was very happy to talk about his experiences, over the next few years I would see him from time to time on the bus or just in the street and he would always have a kind word then suddenly one day I never saw him again, it was the first time in my life as a child that I realised these heroes were starting to pass. Some 50 plus years later and the last of the last are passing it is no longer living memory and becomes just history.
RIP Wing Comander you did your bit least we forget.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Quite incredible post on twitter that was removed after a couple of volleys of abuse.

Someone from Brighton said we shouldn’t be heaping praise on a human being who joined an organisation whose aim was to kill other human beings!

RIP sir. You are and will be remembered as a hero and one of the “few” who risked their lives every day to save your country in its hour of need.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Quite incredible post on twitter that was removed after a couple of volleys of abuse.

Someone from Brighton said we shouldn’t be heaping praise on a human being who joined an organisation whose aim was to kill other human beings!

RIP sir. You are and will be remembered as a hero and one of the “few” who risked their lives every day to save your country in its hour of need.

Someone should have reminded them that people sacrificed their lives so he could enjoy the freedoms they have today.....

Still lets not derail the thread with negativity and instead salute the bravery of people like this

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

So glad I never look at twatter.

The gutter for keyboard cowards and sad feckers, who do not reflect the views of the overwhelming majority of folk.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here