Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tariq Lamptey

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
“We’d bite their hand off”

That’s ludicrous I’m sorry. We rejected more for Ben White who at the time had zero PL experience.

Lamptey is also heavily contracted up. So there’s no pressure on the club to sell. As always, I’m amused that some here as so happily keen to sell our best players at the first sniff of interest.

I’m not unrealistic, if a big offer comes in the club would definitely consider. But £30m for one of the most exciting young English wing backs, who’s also being watched by other power houses (eg Bayern Munich) is laughable.

As long as we stay up, we have a very strong bargaining position and Lamptey will stay for at least another season.

If we go down, then we'll be in a horrible situation of our top players clearly wanting to leave, but the big clubs having only a fraction of the transfer budget they had a couple of years ago.

We'll then have to try to hold onto them or accept selling whilst the market is at its lowest.

I look at the example of Watford holding onto Sarr. I think it may be possible to hold top players for a year if we went down. No longer than that though

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
We'd be right to want more than £30m. He's in a long contract, and we have no reason to sell. £30m minus our initial investment, minus the sell on percentage some reports suggest Chelsea have, leaves us with a rough £20m profit. I think we'd want more.

Also, no team is making £30m+ bids for him until he gets back to playing and proves his fitness.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
“We’d bite their hand off”

That’s ludicrous I’m sorry. We rejected more for Ben White who at the time had zero PL experience.

Lamptey is also heavily contracted up. So there’s no pressure on the club to sell. As always, I’m amused that some here as so happily keen to sell our best players at the first sniff of interest.

I’m not unrealistic, if a big offer comes in the club would definitely consider. But £30m for one of the most exciting young English wing backs, who’s also being watched by other power houses (eg Bayern Munich) is laughable.

Despite what you might want to believe, the pressure on the club to sell someone like Lamptey does exist, not least because of our vast operating losses and squad weaknesses in other areas which need to be addressed.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
As long as we stay up, we have a very strong bargaining position and Lamptey will stay for at least another season.

If we go down, then we'll be in a horrible situation of our top players clearly wanting to leave, but the big clubs having only a fraction of the transfer budget they had a couple of years ago.

We'll then have to try to hold onto them or accept selling whilst the market is at its lowest.

I look at the example of Watford holding onto Sarr. I think it may be possible to hold top players for a year if we went down. No longer than that though

Oh that’s without question agree.

If we go down all bets are off. We have no bargaining power as players will want to leave.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
I'd just like to see him play again , what a nightmare for defenders to know that they will have to play against.

The Lamptey or Veltman issue isn't really a issue Veltman is good enough to switch over to the other side if needed , if Lamptey is fit , he surely has to play .

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Oh that’s without question agree.

If we go down all bets are off. We have no bargaining power as players will want to leave.

100% this, we could spend the whole summer trying to cling on to players that don't want to be here and getting much less than the club thinks they are worth.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Despite what you might want to believe, the pressure on the club to sell someone like Lamptey does exist, not least because of our vast operating losses and squad weaknesses in other areas which need to be addressed.

According to Paul Barber and Tony in numerous public appearances “the club is under no pressure to sell”.

And if you don’t believe that. Actions speak louder than words. Look at Ben White. Only a Championship player at the time, the club flatly refused multiple bids. The last one being £35m (more than the £30m you think we’ll snap their hand off for Lamptey).

Tony’s a businessman. There is no way he’s underselling an asset. Which is precisely why we ensure our best young talent are all contracted up. It’s to protect the value of our asset.

As mentioned above though, this all goes out the window if we’re relegated. So critical we stay up.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
You sound like Parrish!

Just because there's a sell on fee does necessarily increase the cost of player.

It reduces the money the Albion end up with in the bank in the event of a sale, so less available to try and find a replacement or strengthen the squad elsewhere. Seems obvious that that would make us less keen on a sale, no?

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
According to Paul Barber and Tony in numerous public appearances “the club is under no pressure to sell”.

And if you don’t believe that. Actions speak louder than words. Look at Ben White. Only a Championship player at the time, the club flatly refused multiple bids. The last one being £35m (more than the £30m you think we’ll snap their hand off for Lamptey).

Tony’s a businessman. There is no way he’s underselling an asset. Which is precisely why we ensure our best young talent are all contracted up. It’s to protect the value of our asset.

As mentioned above though, this all goes out the window if we’re relegated. So critical we stay up.

Was the last Ben White offer really £35m? Didnt think it got that high.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You can't really trust what Bloom & Barber say publicly, all smoke and mirrors so not to show their hands.

They would have known about our losses long before they were announced and the fact they did not sell Ben White for £30M (that was the last offer was it not?) - means Bloom has the stomach for the losses without selling off our best china yet.

I reckon they are using this season to see where we really are 'over stocked' with quality as well as working out a plan to offload the expensive dead wood.

But I don't think anyone can take what they say seriously, because if they were they'd be opening us to be raided with sub-par offers. But I do agree, getting relegated changes the complexion somewhat.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

A businessman who made his money in property, knowing the right time to buy and sell

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

There's probably more pressure on say a player/area like Bissouma where we already have strength in depth as replacements. Things are tighter as wing backs - but you're right its more likely than at any time for a while.
Partly because of losses, Covid/desire to strengthen elsewhere but also because we're in a much better position in terms of young prospects/alternatives in squad.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
This believe that he is injury prone, is it kosher?

He has had one injury since he joined us, a hamstring problem, that he got against Fulham on 16/12/20. He has been out since then, just over 10 weeks. That's not too long for a hammy, in a young player. He had no other injuries up until this one, and had played a part in 11 other games this season. He may become prone to hamstring problem s in the future, due to his explosive pacebut, it's too early to think he will definitely be out more than he is available.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It reduces the money the Albion end up with in the bank in the event of a sale, so less available to try and find a replacement or strengthen the squad elsewhere. Seems obvious that that would make us less keen on a sale, no?

But it still doesn't mean the value of the player is increased. We bought at a reduced fee but the downside was the sell on clause.

The market place decides the value of the player, not the deal we signed with Chelsea. If the market place decides he's worth £50m then the fact that we have a sell on clause doesn't change that. I agree it might change our inclination to sell though.

For example, we buy TL at £3m plus 25% sell on fee.
Chelsea might have said we can have that deal or we buy him outright for £15m

Assume he sells for £50m, on the first deal, we get £50m less £12.5m sell on clause and less £3m purchase fee = £34.5m.
On the second basis, we get £50m less £15m purchase fee = £35m!

Now in both cases his market value is the same. Obviously I'm guessing at the sell on clauses or what Chelsea might have accepted to buy him outright but I trust you get the gist.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
A businessman who made his money in property, knowing the right time to buy and sell

Exactly, so selling an asset who could potentially be worth £50m (and that’s low ball park) on the cheap would not make sense financially.

As alluded above. Bissouma, sadly, is best placed to be sold. Approaching his prime years, stock high likely as high as it will get plus, we are very well stocked in middle of the park.

Unless we get an offer we can’t refuse... Not Lamptey’s time yet.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
This believe that he is injury prone, is it kosher?

He has had one injury since he joined us, a hamstring problem, that he got against Fulham on 16/12/20. He has been out since then, just over 10 weeks. That's not too long for a hammy, in a young player. He had no other injuries up until this one, and had played a part in 11 other games this season. He may become prone to hamstring problem s in the future, due to his explosive pacebut, it's too early to think he will definitely be out more than he is available.

I don't think the view is that he's injury prone (that would be unfair), but the fact is he's missed more games through injury than he's played for us this season. The question I'd ask as a potential buyer before investing tens of millions into him is whether this is a one off. We have no idea what impact the injury has had on him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here