Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Total Games at Withdean

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Ormerod, Browne, Sturgess, Minton, Johnson, Arnott, Storer, Bennett, Hart, Moralee, Culverhouse
Subs Allan, Ansah, Mayo

Definitely no Keiths

I think it was Bennett that got the racist abuse from Millwall. I’m fairly sure around that time there was a Keith McPherson who played for us.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I think I went to them all, including an 'away' game versus Gillingham, the 1-5 against Millwall in the Freight-Rover Layand-Daf trophy (bitter) when Moralee scored, and the opening game where only the Rainham end was open to 'home' supporters. Living only 20 minutes or so drive away it would have been rude not to. It was the start of my serious bit of actual supporting, 30 years after I went to my first game. Met [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] [MENTION=459]Bwian[/MENTION] [MENTION=944]Inkerman[/MENTION] [MENTION=189]Wozza[/MENTION] @papa lazaru @manx gull and numerous others for the first time (in The Cricketers). Emotional

I only missed one game in the two years at the Prestfield and it was that Millwall game I recall John Lees on the radio who always sat in the main stand behind a desk with the fans giving the live reporting and I clearly remember him saying that around him were a number of Millwall fans and that they all looked like Phil Mitchel I got the feeling for his personal safety he was quite glad we had lost that night

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Honestly couldn't tell you, though I know it was quite a few.
I am not in the habit of counting the games I attended, I just went.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I only missed one game in the two years at the Prestfield and it was that Millwall game I recall John Lees on the radio who always sat in the main stand behind a desk with the fans giving the live reporting and I clearly remember him saying that around him were a number of Millwall fans and that they all looked like Phil Mitchel I got the feeling for his personal safety he was quite glad we had lost that night

Millwall went on and won that trophy, and the money helped launch a successful promotion campaign, and I remember feeling aggrieved.

Moralee's goal was as much a surprise to him as it was to me.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
One of my favourite games at withers was the 2-2 with Burnley, we watched what we could with Albion & Burnley lads over the fence on the road plenty of banter between us which made me believe segregation is probably largely unnecessary. We ended up shaking hands at the end and best of luck for the rest of the season a surreal experience yet enjoyable.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Eh? There were dozens of free poncho games weren't there?

For that game they were laid out on all the seats. So far as I know that never happened again, though you could either get them for free outside or pay for them after that game.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
How many games did anyone get to for our 2 year hiatus at Gillingham?

I had a season ticket for the two seasons and did miss a few midweek games (bad fan) but reckon I got to 18 in the first season and 17 in the second season.

None. I sang 'we'll never go to Gillingham' on the North stand and I meant it.

Was living in Manchester at the time so that helped, and seeing some of our away performances at the likes of Macclesfield didn't instil in me any great desire to head South. Thought about going to the very last game but in the end couldn't make it

Full kudos to everyone who went

Last edited:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I know for certain that I went to 301 matches there, as I document it (no, really I do!),

Nothing wrong with that. I have a trusty spreadsheet maintaining all my football facts a figures #ubergeek

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
How many games did anyone get to for our 2 year hiatus at Gillingham?

I had a season ticket for the two seasons and did miss a few midweek games (bad fan) but reckon I got to 18 in the first season and 17 in the second season.

I was a ballboy for the first season at Gillingham and only my 2nd season as a Brighton fan (couldn't have started supporting them at a better time). The story which I will always remember that shows how poor The Albion once were was how the ballboys were transported to and forth to the games at Gillingham. We travelled in the back of a white transit van with no seats in the back, with the driver (no name given) shouting at us to keep our heads down whilst we were messing around like kids do.
Then, on the way back from a game, the inevitable happened, the van was pulled over by the police and we were all taken out, the driver questioned at a petrol station whilst the ballboys were taken back home in a police van. I was one of the few who had to stay with the driver because the police van couldn't fit us all in. So we stood at the petrol station, for what felt like hours, getting the odd sympathy pound from people paying their petrol finding out we were Brighton fans whilst the driver went through his questioning.
We didn't even have ballboy kits, we just had to wear our own cloths. We really were a club living off peanuts.
That last game at Gillingham when we left hearing the song "We're getting out of this place if its the last thing we ever do" goes down for me as one of the best moments in my time supporting our club. It truly felt wonderful knowing it was the end of such a shite time for the club.

Last edited:

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Nothing wrong with that. I have a trusty spreadsheet maintaining all my football facts a figures #ubergeek

Yep same as. Was on paper till 2017 but then I put in on Excel for fear of losing it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here