Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Total Games at Withdean

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
I think I went to them all, including an 'away' game versus Gillingham, the 1-5 against Millwall in the Freight-Rover Layand-Daf trophy (bitter) when Moralee scored, and the opening game where only the Rainham end was open to 'home' supporters. Living only 20 minutes or so drive away it would have been rude not to. It was the start of my serious bit of actual supporting, 30 years after I went to my first game. Met [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] [MENTION=459]Bwian[/MENTION] [MENTION=944]Inkerman[/MENTION] [MENTION=189]Wozza[/MENTION] @papa lazaru @manx gull and numerous others for the first time (in The Cricketers). Emotional

I believe we met then also, I think I remember you mentioning more than once during the 1-5 against Millwall that their fans were too quiet and that that was something we should be concerned about, as after all they are Millwall and dangerous! You might have known me then as Takers?

Or am I old and my memory completely shot?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yep did 100% including the cup games too...remember losing to millwall 1-5 or 6. Jamie Moralee opened the scoring. Loads of London Neanderthals in the main stand giving Keith Dublin serious racist stick with his friends and family sat near by. Only time I have ever experienced racist shit close up and it was disgusting,

Keith Dublin was still playing for us at Gillingham? Must have been his testimonial season!

Dubbers signed for Watford in 1990, and never played for us again.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
The youtube footage of Bellotti running away is still remarkable. Game after game, incident after incident, these days the Police, BHCC H&S jobsworths and the EFL would throw the book at a club for that lot.

How true - in similar circumstances the EFL still wouldn’t help us or any other club in that position.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Dubbers signed for Watford in 1990, and never played for us again.

He must have been there a a guest as I was sat next to his wife and kids...

Seagullroyal

Dec 31, 2014
One memory of Withdean, is from one of the crap cup competitions? Johnsons paint or similar, circa 2000. It was after golden/silver goal was introduced.
My lad, aged about five at the time.
As they do at that age, needs the loo at least every fifteen minutes.
End of the game, its 0-0, so I take him to the loo before extra time starts.
Hear a cheer whilst in there, come out of the portakabin loo, and everyone is leaving, and we've won 1-0!!
We scored in the first minute of added time, and game is over!
Won't embarrass him. as he's now 24 and a North Stand regular!!

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Not sure if the Playoff matches count as cup? but my favourite ever goal will always be Virgo vs Swindon in the playoffs. Unbelievable scenes especially as it just didn't look like we were going to score playing so shite the whole match. What a depressing experience that was until Virgo threw himself at a flick from Cullips header . The running track went completely mental. I was hugging some old man next to me I didn't know in sheer delight and he was going just as berserk. Even Mcghee had his arms wide open in pure mentalness. You just knew we were going to win the pens.
If there was ever a robbery we can be proud of (unlike CPFC and their mugging-off of St Johns ambulance) it was this one. Thanks Withdean for the magical memories.

PS "Hit the bar, Hit the bar, Hit the bar"

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Yep did 100% including the cup games too...remember losing to millwall 1-5 or 6. Jamie Moralee opened the scoring. Loads of London Neanderthals in the main stand giving Keith Dublin serious racist stick with his friends and family sat near by. Only time I have ever experienced racist shit close up and it was disgusting,

Ah, the Auto Windscreens Shield.

I remember us singing to Millwall fans: "You'll only win the windscreen and you'll smash it anyway!" to the tune of "Glory, glory, Tottenham Hotspur".

Real gallows humour at a desperate time. I remember getting the train back in a carriage with Millwall fans. We 'tried' to look happy but inside we were so depressed.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I think I went to them all, including an 'away' game versus Gillingham, the 1-5 against Millwall in the Freight-Rover Layand-Daf trophy (bitter) when Moralee scored, and the opening game where only the Rainham end was open to 'home' supporters. Living only 20 minutes or so drive away it would have been rude not to. It was the start of my serious bit of actual supporting, 30 years after I went to my first game. Met [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] [MENTION=459]Bwian[/MENTION] [MENTION=944]Inkerman[/MENTION] [MENTION=189]Wozza[/MENTION] @papa lazaru @manx gull and numerous others for the first time (in The Cricketers). Emotional

Wasn't the Gillingham away game, in the League Cup in the first season at Withdean ?

I went to all the Gillingham games, the only time that I've had my car serviced on miles rather than annually, given the whizzing around the motorways.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
The Colin Hawkins match against Stockport sticks in the mind. :mad:

I think the most enjoyable game I saw was a 4-0 win over Blackpool, played on the August bank holiday. The weather was beautiful, Zamora was on fire and it was the start of another promotion season just after getting out of the basement in 2001. Fantastic time.

And Steve McMahon was sent off from the dugout?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Yes sorry. I remember he was a Keith.

My memory is really starting to go and I am only 61 :down::down::down:

Ormerod, Browne, Sturgess, Minton, Johnson, Arnott, Storer, Bennett, Hart, Moralee, Culverhouse
Subs Allan, Ansah, Mayo

Definitely no Keiths

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
How many games did anyone get to for our 2 year hiatus at Gillingham?

I had a season ticket for the two seasons and did miss a few midweek games (bad fan) but reckon I got to 18 in the first season and 17 in the second season.

The only period of time since late 70's I wasn't a STH. Did 8 games at Priestfield.

Mind you I did bottle a few at Withdean with my southstand B block ST when it was freezing and pissing down.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Ormerod, Browne, Sturgess, Minton, Johnson, Arnott, Storer, Bennett, Hart, Moralee, Culverhouse
Subs Allan, Ansah, Mayo

Definitely no Keiths

I take it all back. It was all nice and I must have dreamt it.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
One memory of Withdean, is from one of the crap cup competitions? Johnsons paint or similar, circa 2000. It was after golden/silver goal was introduced.
My lad, aged about five at the time.
As they do at that age, needs the loo at least every fifteen minutes.
End of the game, its 0-0, so I take him to the loo before extra time starts.
Hear a cheer whilst in there, come out of the portakabin loo, and everyone is leaving, and we've won 1-0!!
We scored in the first minute of added time, and game is over!
Won't embarrass him. as he's now 24 and a North Stand regular!!

The first time we were involved in a golden goal was in 96/97 when we knocked Fulham out of the football league trophy cup 3-2. James Virgo scored from about 30 yards out in the first minute of extra time. Great way to end a match: score a goal, then go ‘ome!

The next time was the Withdean one mentioned above. It was against Wycombe in 01/02 (same trophy)
1-1 at FT (Geoff Pitcher) and it was Steve Melton who scored a golden goal in extra time.

The final time we were involved in something similar was in 03/04 against Boston Utd (same trophy again!)
1-1 at full time, so Chris McPhee’s goal to make it 2-1 was a silver goal. He also scored a pen in the same half to make it 3-1

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Wasn't the Gillingham away game, in the League Cup in the first season at Withdean ?

I went to all the Gillingham games, the only time that I've had my car serviced on miles rather than annually, given the whizzing around the motorways.

Could be....I wasn't planning to go, but happened to be in the area . . . .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here