Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Amex Light Pollution.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I live in Woodingdean and can assure you this glow has been there the whole time the stadium has existed, so can’t understand why it’s becoming an issue now !

I’d love to know how it possibly affects the wildlife anyway for Christ’s sake ?

:shrug:

It's just a bit brighter at the moment due to low cloud cover reflecting it.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I was told that a guy from the South Downs National Trust had worked with the stadium regarding light pollution, not sure whether that included the grass growing lights, seems like an awful waste of energy going up into the clouds.

http://chng.it/HQrWjyLYNQ

Signed, love the club, don’t love the light pollution.

Last edited:

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Drove back from Eastbourne yesterday and today and could see it at least as far as Druscilas, if not further away. I did wonder what it was. Thought it was very strange floodlight colour.

I drove back from Eastbourne yesterday also.

Was that red glow really the lights from The Amex???

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
giphy.gif

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
The Amex grow lamps do seem to be doing overtime at the moment; presumably because the pitch has been looking ropey so they're trying to sort that out.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I was told that a guy from the South Downs National Trust had worked with the stadium regarding light pollution, not sure whether that included the grass growing lights, seems like an awful waste of energy going up into the clouds.

http://chng.it/HQrWjyLYNQ

Signed, love the club, don’t love the light pollution.

Light pollution means you cannot see the stars. You can't see the stars when it is very cloudy. You can only see a strong reflection from the Amex lights when it is very low cloud.
:facepalm:

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Light pollution means you cannot see the stars. You can't see the stars when it is very cloudy. You can only see a strong reflection from the Amex lights when it is very low cloud.
:facepalm:

Come on do a cursory bit of research and you’ll find you’re way off the mark. Light pollution is actually quite an interesting subject.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
It only happens when there is a depression in the weather, causing low cloud cover. The Amex has been open since 2011, and it happens occasionally. It will all be forgotten in a couple of weeks, the same as it was last winter and the winter before.

It’s only more noticeable to us when there is low cloud cover, the level of light pollution remains the same when there’s no low cloud, it’s just not so obvious to us humans.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Some twit will now come forward suggesting that a rare breed of bat that is attracted to light has been found hanging in the beams, so the stadium should be demolished immediately in case others like it descend upon The Amex as a show of bat solidarity, thus wiping out a species that nobody never knew existed until Brighton and Hove Albion discovered electricity.

It won’t be the bats but it most certainly will be insects - insects that provide the food for bats

Just another step in the decline of insects which are at the bottom of the food chain relied on by so much wildlife.

I can’t remember the last time I had to clean the car windscreen of dead insects - 50 years ago, even in the winter, the windscreen would be covered after just a short drive.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It’s only more noticeable to us when there is low cloud cover, the level of light pollution remains the same when there’s no low cloud, it’s just not so obvious to us humans.

This came up at the public inquiry when we were still trying to get planning permission. There is a six lane road, and a railway station already at the location, so a few grass growing machines don't add much to that except when clouds are acting like a giant mirror reflecting it.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I live in Woodingdean and have done for many years. The issue has become much more apparent in the last 4 weeks or so, I had not noticed it before and expect it is down to low cloud and generally the high level of moisture in the air. Last week end it was dry with a very clear sky and not noticeable. I have pictures of night sky from recent times so I know the lights are not doing this all the time. That said when it happens it is very noticeable so anything that could be done should be tried as there might be a simple solution.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
This came up at the public inquiry when we were still trying to get planning permission. There is a six lane road, and a railway station already at the location, so a few grass growing machines don't add much to that except when clouds are acting like a giant mirror reflecting it.

So why don’t the six lane road and the railway station also reflect all this light when clouds are acting like a giant mirror?

In times of low cloud it shows just how much light pollution is occurring when the grow lights are used a night, it’s just not obvious when there is no cloud.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The ground staff are clearly trying to get the grass to grow more quickly to repair the pitch which has deteriorated because of heavy use and heavy rain. Reduced use of these lighting rigs will mean a worse surface, so more likely our already slow players will get more bogged down.

Embrace the light cloud and pray for dryer weather.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yes this seems to gathering momentum with the local tree huggers.

If you follow Brighton skies on Facebook, they are very vocal

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here