Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Slowly getting back to normal, as I had an eye test this morning at Specsavers.

Certainly made to feel safe, hand wash on entry, all staff wearing masks or visors and clear distance markings. Glasses brought to you for trying on, rather than just picking up off the shelf.

I was even allowed to lower my mask when wearing glasses due to the constant steaming up.

If this level of safety is present elsewhere I may venture out more.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Certainly made to feel safe, hand wash on entry, all staff wearing masks or visors and clear distance markings. Glasses brought to you for trying on, rather than just picking up off the shelf.

I was even allowed to lower my mask when wearing glasses due to the constant steaming up.

I had a similar experience at the Dentist yesterday, very well organised

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

Good to know important services like this are becoming available again. But rather than "normal", that is an unpleasant prospect in the long-term. I know we need to go through this phase, but I won't be doing any casual shopping if it means queues and masks.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
For your info someone started a thread on it :)

Indeed. Something I realised about six seconds after making my post. Too busy digging my underground virus bunker to delete it.

We’re DOOMED, I tells ya! Just emptied my life savings and ordered twelve thousand bog rolls and three and a half tonnes of fusilli pasta (I’ve no idea what that even looks like by the way. Something akin to a modern day Neville Southall, I imagine). See you in 2026, suckers!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Sadly it isn't. I find most staff in shops, particularly supermarkets, make no effort to distance from each other, and often customers too.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I've had to go back up to London again today, took a face mask for the train but didn't put it on as there was only 1 other person in the carriage. Transport police came through and asked me to put one on. [emoji849]

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
My 4 year old granddaughter displayed Covid symptoms. Her mum tried and tried to get a slot at the Amex testing facility. After many attempts she booked a slot. They arrived at the Amex (Monday) to be told that 'we aren't doing tests today'.

Luckily she works for the NHS and quickly got an appointment at Worthing Hospital, but you have to wonder why just about everything associated with our national response to Covid is a shambles. Could it, by any chance, be the quality of our national leadership?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
My 4 year old granddaughter displayed Covid symptoms. Her mum tried and tried to get a slot at the Amex testing facility. After many attempts she booked a slot. They arrived at the Amex (Monday) to be told that 'we aren't doing tests today'.

Luckily she works for the NHS and quickly got an appointment at Worthing Hospital, but you have to wonder why just about everything associated with our national response to Covid is a shambles. Could it, by any chance, be the quality of our national leadership?

more likely to be a local problem to be fair.....ie The Amex

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Scotland goes for mandatory face covering in shops, what is it with grown up politicians?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Scotland goes for mandatory face covering in shops, what is it with grown up politicians?

This is possibly a cross reference to Bozza's "will you go to the pub" thread but Stergoun has also said on distancing that "general advice will remain unchanged" and that "as far as possible" people should remain 2m away from other households.

But she said in view of the "serious economic implications" of maintaining the rule in all circumstances, she would allow "exemptions for specific sectors" where a 1m (3ft 3in) distance could be used if other safety measures are introduced.

So I expect the face mask thing is really just mitigating the risk of shops opening that cannot distance people at the 2m interval.

So. Back to pubs. Will they be 1m or 2m? Because the one thing you most surely cannot do in a pub is wear a face covering all the time. Ditto for restraunts. And even if they are setting distance at 2m the second pissed people who have not seen each other for weeks get outside the pub they will be staggering and hugging, guaranteed.

If I'm going to take a pop at Boris at all then it's Super Saturday that is the issue and not shops. We are reopening bars far too soon, despite seeing from Florida what will happen.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
This is possibly a cross reference to Bozza's "will you go to the pub" thread but Stergoun has also said on distancing that "general advice will remain unchanged" and that "as far as possible" people should remain 2m away from other households.

But she said in view of the "serious economic implications" of maintaining the rule in all circumstances, she would allow "exemptions for specific sectors" where a 1m (3ft 3in) distance could be used if other safety measures are introduced.

So I expect the face mask thing is really just mitigating the risk of shops opening that cannot distance people at the 2m interval.

So. Back to pubs. Will they be 1m or 2m? Because the one thing you most surely cannot do in a pub is wear a face covering all the time. Ditto for restraunts. And even if they are setting distance at 2m the second pissed people who have not seen each other for weeks get outside the pub they will be staggering and hugging, guaranteed.

If I'm going to take a pop at Boris at all then it's Super Saturday that is the issue and not shops. We are reopening bars far too soon, despite seeing from Florida what will happen.

Yup, all of this. A&E are planning for tomorrow night being worse than NYE :down:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Dreadful.

C3634ADD-35E1-430F-B316-134C7C836414.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here