17 Oct: 5250

And Javid says "We are a lot closer to normal than we were a few months ago"

Maybe we're not so tough after all

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
MP on radio 5 now saying restrictions should be removed to allow the spread of flu (and Covid) because if we don't, the viruses will mutate 'more' to 'more dangerous forms'.

What a stupid prick. Viruses mutate as they spread.

I don't know what party he represents so no confirmation bias here.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
MP on radio 5 now saying restrictions should be removed to allow the spread of flu (and Covid) because if we don't, the viruses will mutate 'more' to 'more dangerous forms'.

What a [deleted]. Viruses mutate as they spread.

I don't know what party he represents so no confirmation bias here.
There is a theory that mutations are more likely to thrive when the original virus is suppressed and struggling to survive. More fertile ground for a mutation to move into. Have you taken that into account?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
You seem to have forgotten to mention they have banned Germany and Holland as well

Just an oversight I’m sure and not politically motivated.
I refuse to believe that anyone on NSC would be such a grade A contempitable **** using a global pandemic to always paint the UK in the worst possible light continually trying to score political points ... what sort of sad w***** would do that?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There is a theory that mutations are more likely to thrive when the original virus is suppressed and struggling to survive. More fertile ground for a mutation to move into. Have you taken that into account?

Of course. The MP hasn't though.

The theory doesn't stand up. If it did we would get rid of the flu virus, let it spread around unrestricted, and then it wouldn't mutate and we would not get flu the next year because we would all be immune to the only mutant in town - last year's mutant.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I refuse to believe that anyone on NSC would be such a grade A contempitable **** using a global pandemic to always paint the UK in the worst possible light continually trying to score political points ... what sort of sad w***** would do that?

I decided to unblock you. What an offensive little prick you are.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Of course. The MP hasn't though.

The theory doesn't stand up. If it did we would get rid of the flu virus, let it spread around unrestricted, and then it wouldn't mutate and we would not get flu the next year because we would all be immune to the only mutant in town - last year's mutant.
It's not a one or other. There's no reason to believe that EITHER coronavirus mutates when there is loads of it about OR it mutates when there's little of it about. In fact, it's certain to be both. Mutations are more likely when there's more of it qbout, and mutations are more likely to take hold when there's less of it about. Which do we prefer, smaller numbers of mutations with a greater probability of spreading, or larger numbers with a smaller probabilty?

Didn't the Indian (delta) variant arise when India had a relatively small number of cases? I'm only going off memory there, so I could be wrong.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It's not a one or other. There's no reason to believe that EITHER coronavirus mutates when there is loads of it about OR it mutates when there's little of it about. In fact, it's certain to be both. Mutations are more likely when there's more of it qbout, and mutations are more likely to take hold when there's less of it about. Which do we prefer, smaller numbers of mutations with a greater probability of spreading, or larger numbers with a smaller probabilty?

Didn't the Indian (delta) variant arise when India had a relatively small number of cases? I'm only going off memory there, so I could be wrong.

I'm less concerned with what I or anyone else believes. I'm more interested in facts or, in the absence of facts, HMG making wise decisions on the basis of reasonable inference. They have a track record of not doing this.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/10/24/coronavirus-cases-slump-winter-say-scientists/

Very interesting stuff.

Ministers are thought to be holding back from introducing restrictions such as compulsory face masks, working from home and vaccine passports, after seeing projections from several groups which show infections declining rapidly within weeks.

One model, from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, suggests that cases will soon peak before falling steeply in the winter months, even without Plan B.
The Telegraph understands that other unpublished models seen by the Government have also shown similar imminent drops, with experts indicating that cases could fall to around 5,000 cases a day before Christmas.

John Edmunds, Professor in the Centre for the Mathematical Modelling of Infectious Diseases at the school, a member of Sage and the sub-group SPI-M, said: “When we were doing the work about two weeks ago, the Health Secretary had made it very clear that the government was not planning to introduce Plan B in the near future.
“Our model was projecting that cases would start to decline some time in the autumn.

“However, the model also suggests that cases may start to climb again in the spring, due to a combination of waning immunity and increased contacts.”

Main points to take from this, infections in children are dropping off already and should improve after half term because natural immunity levels will be high. Now the virus is becoming endemic we are simply in a cycle of infection that will ebb and flow over time.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Exactly the same type that would blame a global financial crisis on Labour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

Scoring political points when and however you can? Your specialty that. Pathetic post.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
[MENTION=522]Kinky Gerbils[/MENTION] and many others, you were correct all along. Period.

A43B757B-3F7B-4DEC-9267-88432018C088.png
F81E90C6-E588-4897-8268-33484D930FD6.png

This guy knows his pandemic and vaccine onions.
https://www.ovg.ox.ac.uk/team/sir-andrew-pollard

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here