Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I don't see how this can be misinterpreted, but you seem to have done so. What it means is that (1) some people have an ambition to continue lockdown, and (2) I believe that will have negative net results. That does NOT mean that I think they are evil. It does NOT mean that I think they have negative intentions. If a doctor misdiagnoses an illness, it does not mean he is an evil man.

I am sorry that your understanding of dementia is so slight that you cannot see how people who suffer from it are being harmed. I am sorry that your understanding of old age is such that you cannot see how people who are old and infirm are suffering harm.

And I note that when you propose to follow the science, those scientists who tell us that the Indian variant is no more virulent than any other are being ignored. you seem to prefer anecdotal news from India on that one. For you, it isn't a matter of "a scientist says it so I will agree with it" - it is a matter of "a scientist says what I agree with, so he must be a reliable source". Maybe it is so with me as well. But I'm not claiming the moral high ground for agreeing with scientists who agree with me.

Rather condescending and dismissive, aren't you?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/15/johnson-must-think-again-on-plans-to-relax-covid-rules

Mounting pressure now from the scientific community to scrap Mondays relaxations, I fear BJ has learned nothing from the previous waves though.

:nono:

4 tests, only 3 met :facepalm:

Yep, they are breaking their own rules

Capture.PNG

Sadly they are going ahead, IMHO we're taking a big step into the unknown

In the absence of this we need a complete vaccine blitz and surge testing in areas with the Indian variant NOW and hope for best

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Yep, they are breaking their own rules

View attachment 136788

Sadly they are going ahead, IMHO we're taking a big step into the unknown

In the absence of this we need a complete vaccine blitz and surge testing in areas with the Indian variant NOW and hope for best
It depends how you define "fundamentally". I wouldn't have thought that a new variant that is subdued by the vaccine in much the same way as all the other variations, would be fundamentally different, even if it does spread to the young unvaccinated rather faster.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It depends how you define "fundamentally". I wouldn't have thought that a new variant that is subdued by the vaccine in much the same way as all the other variations, would be fundamentally different, even if it does spread to the young unvaccinated rather faster.

Overall case numbers aren’t going up - been hovering around 2k/day for quite a while now whilst deaths and hospitalisations have minimised and the number in hospital in down 98% from the the peak. The outbreaks are currently very isolated. Fundamentally then picture could be argued as being stable.

It’s a calculated risk for sure, but doesn’t seem unreasonable - hopefully the surge testing and vaccinating will squash the localised outbreaks.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Overall case numbers aren’t going up - been hovering around 2k/day for quite a while now whilst deaths and hospitalisations have minimised and the number in hospital in down 98% from the the peak. The outbreaks are currently very isolated. Fundamentally then picture could be argued as being stable.

It’s a calculated risk for sure, but doesn’t seem unreasonable - hopefully the surge testing and vaccinating will squash the localised outbreaks.

Big queues outside BW FC yesterday getting the jab, great to see this...

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ews/bolton-wanderers-invite-over-16s-20609740

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
“The young aren’t at risk”
“Oh terror! The young are at risk”

This could go on forever, open the flipping country back up. Time to take the risk.
And I’m not denying there is a risk.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
“The young aren’t at risk”
“Oh terror! The young are at risk”

This could go on forever, open the flipping country back up. Time to take the risk.
And I’m not denying there is a risk.

As long as people are allowed to manage their own risk then and not be forced into situations they aren't comfortable with, like face to face benefit interviews without fear of sanctions...

Yoda

English & European
Good to see that it's not just surge testing but surge vaccination taking place in these localised hotspots. With over 50% of adults already with at least one jab there will be some capacity for this.

They've been adopting this surge vaccination program where they've had small localised outbreaks of this variant in France to some success too.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
As long as people are allowed to manage their own risk then and not be forced into situations they aren't comfortable with, like face to face benefit interviews without fear of sanctions...

Yes, sounds reasonable. For a couple of months . We can’t have people sat indoors, collecting benefits indefinitely while the rest of us continue to go to work and risk our health to pay their way. The country needs to get up and running, everyone playing their part. Including the jobseekers. Far too many shirkers hiding behind Covid anxiety. The free ride is over, I’m afraid.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Yes, sounds reasonable. For a couple of months . We can’t have people sat indoors, collecting benefits indefinitely while the rest of us continue to go to work and risk our health to pay their way. The country needs to get up and running, everyone playing their part. Including the jobseekers. Far too many shirkers hiding behind Covid anxiety. The free ride is over, I’m afraid.

This is a more brutal expression of the post I made earlier...it seems it OK for Builders, shop workers, Factory workers, Bus / train drivers and alike to work as normal, but Karen and Brian in the purchasing office can stay at home telling everyone its too dangerous to get off their settee and go to work.

Its creating a huge them and us workplace culture as you might say a blue collar and white collar divide.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

What exactly is the plan for winding down furlough? A number of sectors are going to have significant labour shortages soon...

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
This is a more brutal expression of the post I made earlier...it seems it OK for Builders, shop workers, Factory workers, Bus / train drivers and alike to work as normal, but Karen and Brian in the purchasing office can stay at home telling everyone its too dangerous to get off their settee and go to work.

Its creating a huge them and us workplace culture as you might say a blue collar and white collar divide.

Yep, agree 100. Me and millions others have been getting on busses twice daily, working with people with Covid , annual leave cancelled, overtime cancelled (down 25% income, very uncomfortable) while Ethan from IT has been working in his conservatory in his spaffy joggers, complaining he hasn’t been to a restaurant for a few months and being in the same space as his cupcake baking wife for a year has given his emotional needs dog a migraine. Get a grip, get to work.

Yoda

English & European
Yep, agree 100. Me and millions others have been getting on busses twice daily, working with people with Covid , annual leave cancelled, overtime cancelled (down 25% income, very uncomfortable) while Ethan from IT has been working in his conservatory in his spaffy joggers, complaining he hasn’t been to a restaurant for a few months and being in the same space as his cupcake baking wife for a year has given his emotional needs dog a migraine. Get a grip, get to work.

Oi! I work in IT and I can't wait to get back to the office. :wink:

The only trouble is our office closed due to the building the local CCG were using ended their lease for a new one without enough space for us too, the contract that my CSU has with them expires in 5 months and we are being tuped to a new CSU that will be providing the service.
Due to this they won't be finding us an office to work in for the rest of the contract. Currently waiting to hear what the new CSU have in plan for us. So I'm stuck working from home until at least the beginning of November at the earliest. :down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here