Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Highly likely? Based on what evidence?

half a dozen different vaccines in phase 3 trials, and a sound track record of vaccines working across many diseases.

the graph is from June. other data suggests 10-16% of over 70s who catch it die. thats the issue, high risk cull of elderly. rather more than flu.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Just watched Keir Starmer.

I wish he’d show a bit more gumption other than moaning about the economic impact. What annoys me about this is that there is absolutely no debate. We are having measures imposed on us without having any ability to question the decisions being made. The information we are given is being tightly controlled to ensure public opinion is backing everything the Government are doing. People who don’t agree are being dismissed as conspiracy theorists or selfish idiots who don’t know what they are talking about. The numbers of hospital admissions and deaths are nowhere near where they were during lockdown yet we are being given the impression it’s just as bad as it was 6 months ago.

there is a ton of information but the media are selective and most wont look for it. actually too much which is undigestable. recently found this suveillance reprot that is updated weekly. hoping the hospitalisation number stay low and we head in to middle ground between fearmongers and conspiracy nutjobs.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
By that reckoning, people have no power anymore... If the consensus does start shifting, it will make a difference IMO, it’s the same as anything, it’s impossible to enforce rules if enough people disregard them. Not saying that is what we should do, but we are edging more and more towards living in a controlled state and I for one, will not be locked down again.

As an aside, I think making pubs close early is an absolutely disastrous move, people will just go to each other’s houses... at least pubs or bars are a relatively controlled environment? Can anyone explain it to me because, I’m really struggling to understand pubs having to close at 10PM, how will that help? ???

My point is for anything to happen it has to leap off the (virtual) pages of Social Media and actually affect change. I don't see any route map between the two at the moment. Plus I tend to find a lot of people are comfortable saying what we shouldn't be doing but don't make suggestions as to what we should do.

Must confess the pubs closing at 2200 thing does seem a bit petty in the grand scheme of things.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
apparently Vallance has shares in a Vaccine company?

no conflict of interest there then.

Even if its harmless, surely you cant have this happening?

Agreed. Let's get out of this without a vaccine. That'll show him.

"Apparently" = some bloke said on twitter/Facebook presumably, you've done no research at all, but couldn't wait to rush along here and post it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

"Apparently" = some bloke said on twitter/Facebook presumably, you've done no research at all, but couldn't wait to rush along here and post it.

This article - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1600914339

So he worked for a company, still has shares in them (as a lot of ex-employees do of many companies), and has been absolved from all commercial decisions relating to vaccines as a result. Sounds sensible to me.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Apparently not on facebook and twitter but widely reported in the media hunni bee.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
apparently Vallance has shares in a Vaccine company?

no conflict of interest there then.

Even if its harmless, surely you cant have this happening?

a Dr with shares in a pharmaceutical? id say thats a certainty, people invest in what they know. The story is he has shares in GSK from his time working there.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Apparently not on facebook and twitter but widely reported in the media hunni bee.

And yet two posts from you without linking to the source.

Let me do that for you.

It's a deferred bonus from when he was on the board at GSK. He's offloaded most of them. It's amusing. The "scary" MSM really should have reported this as the well known fact "Vallance used to be president of GSK".

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
The UK needs to get hold of it's border control. What is the point in bringing in all of these new measures and suppressing the economy if every day the country is importing the virus back in?

The government needs to mandate that a negative test (within a defined recency) is provided before issuing a boarding pass for travel to UK, and another test upon landing. If you test positive before boarding, you can't fly. If you test positive upon landing you get sent to government quarantine centre.

Also, mandatory face masks for everyone, no ridiculous exemptions.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
The UK needs to get hold of it's border control. What is the point in bringing in all of these new measures and suppressing the economy if every day the country is importing the virus back in?

The government needs to mandate that a negative test (within a defined recency) is provided before issuing a boarding pass for travel to UK, and another test upon landing. If you test positive before boarding, you can't fly. If you test positive upon landing you get sent to government quarantine centre.

Yes because since they were made mandatory in shops, cases have dropped....Oh hang on!!

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

Nonsensical, without a vaccine basically what you are calling for is a total country lockdown, which NZ did, which means you cannot open back up again until the virus is eradicated or everyone is vaccinated, if the vaccine then doesn’t work... guess what? You’re locked down forever and can never open back up again.

And face masks everywhere? Hilarious. No exceptions people with lung conditions :lolol: There’s many exemptions that you might find ridiculous but in fact are very real, for example my cousin has very severe claustrophobia and wearing face masks gives her severe panic attacks. Don’t label people with conditions ridiculous, an absolutely outrageous comment.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I am amused by the line of thinking that there is any set of circumstances that would lead the Chief Scientific Officer of the United Kingdom to not think a vaccine would be useful to help control a global epidemic.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Nonsensical, without a vaccine basically what you are calling for is a total country lockdown, which NZ did, which means you cannot open back up again until the virus is eradicated or everyone is vaccinated, if the vaccine then doesn’t work... guess what? You’re locked down forever and can never open back up again.

And face masks everywhere? Hilarious. No exceptions people with lung conditions [emoji38]ol: There’s many exemptions that you might find ridiculous but in fact are very real, for example my cousin has very severe claustrophobia and wearing face masks gives her severe panic attacks. Don’t label people with conditions ridiculous, an absolutely outrageous comment.

I'm not suggestion a permanent lockdown, but a managed border control process that stops us importing cases which is counter productive to the measures in place. This is what a lot of other countries are doing that have managed this pandemic well.

And severe claustrophobia from wearing a face mask? Halloween must be a nightmare!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
This article - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1600914339

So he worked for a company, still has shares in them (as a lot of ex-employees do of many companies), and has been absolved from all commercial decisions relating to vaccines as a result. Sounds sensible to me.[/QUOTE

still a nailed on conflict of interest mate ......the fact he is officially excluded from decision making is a plus for him because you can almost definitely say that unofficially he isn't.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here