• Other

Votes: 10 4.3%

• Total voters

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Where is Jedi in your poll?

In England and Wales 390,127 people (almost 0.8%) stated their religion as Jedi on their 2001 Census forms, surpassing Sikhism, Judaism, and Buddhism, and making it the fourth largest reported religion in the country. In the 2001 Census, 2.6% of the population of Brighton claimed to be Jedi. The percentages of religious affiliations were:

Christian: 70%
No religion: 16%
Chose not to respond: 7.8%
Muslim: 3.1%
Hindu: 2.1%
Jedi: 0.7%

I'm sure it's a few positions above Scientology.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
That's not true. Spirituality is becoming bigger than ever. Just not on NSC

So any idea why the good folk of NSC, having voted an overwhelming c70% no religion so far (compared to the Brighton 2011 Census of c42.5% no religion), buck your stated spirituality trend?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
So any idea why the good folk of NSC, having voted an overwhelming c70% no religion so far (compared to the Brighton 2011 Census of c42.5% no religion), buck your stated spirituality trend?

This may be in part due to the fact that more men identify as athiest that women, and NSC is very male-dominated?

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
This may be in part due to the fact that more men identify as athiest that women, and NSC is very male-dominated?

Fair point, but very much a modest part, if the gender split in this research taken from a 2017 Guardian article is reflective of Brighton:

"The south-east of England has the highest non-religious population, at 58%, followed by Wales at 56% and Scotland at 55%. More men than women identify as non-religious, with a 55:45 gender split. Younger people are also more likely to reject organised religion."

On the younger person point, my understanding is that the average NSC contributor is unlikely to be considered "younger".

You use atheist, but agnostic surely comes under "no religion" too?

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014

See the Brexit thread for another example of a NSC poll not reflecting society as a whole (68.4% Remain).

No idea if society is becoming more "spiritual" by the way.

(And everyone, can we take as read any, well it's a pity more people aren't like us, then remarks, thanks you :D)

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Question for the believers in here - do you also believe in things like aliens, ghosts etc etc ?

I ask because I don't believe in God or a supreme being but, strangely you might think, I do believe in aliens and ghosts and life beyond the grave.

I draw the line at werewolves. And vampires.

I'm not a believer in God or ghosts despite having 3 very convincing ghostly encounters in my life, but had an elderly friend who was a priest and he was completely into ghosts. Used to talk to the one that he thought haunted his house, and when I asked him about it he said that his whole life was based on belief in an afterlife and spirits so of course he was going to believe in ghosts. Thought it was odd anyone would question it.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
but the article is suggesting that faith is growing in population?

Not in this population, surely? Maybe in third world countries, but then I'd probably be desperate to believe there was a purpose to everything if I lived in some hell hole somewhere.

(I haven't actually read the article).

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I'm not a believer in God or ghosts despite having 3 very convincing ghostly encounters in my life, but had an elderly friend who was a priest and he was completely into ghosts. Used to talk to the one that he thought haunted his house, and when I asked him about it he said that his whole life was based on belief in an afterlife and spirits so of course he was going to believe in ghosts. Thought it was odd anyone would question it.

Tell us about 2 of your convincing ghostly encounters please. Pick the best 2.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Not in this population, surely? Maybe in third world countries, but then I'd probably be desperate to believe there was a purpose to everything if I lived in some hell hole somewhere.

(I haven't actually read the article).

Maybe that's so, but you could argue we have less community here in the western societies which could mean we're more detached from any possible spiritual evolution the poorer places are going through right now? People here might have experienced for less in life being so brain washed by modern technology and materialism, whereas in these poor places, they've probably learnt a lot more about life, survival, nature, community, togetherness and how to stay happy ? We're preaching things like retail therapy to people. I definitely wouldn't say we're a few hundred years ahead.

Just a theory. I could be wrong...

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
See the Brexit thread for another example of a NSC poll not reflecting society as a whole (68.4% Remain).

(And everyone, can we take as read any, well it's a pity more people aren't like us, then remarks, thanks you :D)

I think you have the Brexit thing completely wrong, as NSC reflected almost exactly what the good people of Brighton/Hove voted - (Remain a member of the EU 100,648 68.6%)!!

Still curious as to why some on here think NSC is not representative of general sentiment towards religion (the modest gender point aside). Census 2021 will reveal all, and I think some are in for a rude awakening.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Maybe that's so, but you could argue we have less community here in the western societies which could mean we're more detached from any possible spiritual evolution the poorer places are going through right now? People here might have experienced for less in life being so brain washed by modern technology and materialism, whereas in these poor places, they've probably learnt a lot more about life, survival, nature, community, togetherness and how to stay happy ? We're preaching things like retail therapy to people. I definitely wouldn't say we're a few hundred years ahead.

Just a theory. I could be wrong...

I think there is a big difference between religion and spirituality. Your point is definitely valid about the latter, I'm not convinced about the former.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Tell us about 2 of your convincing ghostly encounters please. Pick the best 2.

Ha ha! OK! Growing up in an old Edwardian house I would repeatedly wake up to a shadow outside my bedroom door which I thought was one of my brothers. Basically a child's shadow, like someone excitedly hiding to jump out and shout boo. I'd get up, check, and no one would be there. I don't remember when it stopped but probably by the time I was 7 or 8 and I can still picture it clearly now. It never felt intimidating or scary, it was just normal. As I got older I realised no light would cast a shadow in that direction - it was a physical impossibility with the layout of the house - and wondered about it a bit but dismissed it as imagination even when, because I'm a cynic about such things, I found the house had been used for séances in the 1920s and someone supposedly "sensitive" told us it hadn't been "cleaned".

Later on, 15-20 years maybe, some builders widened the area outside what had been my room back to the dimensions the house had when it was first built, and found the remnants of piping for a gas mantle for a light on the wall at exactly the position and height to cast a child's shadow in the direction like the one I'd seen so often. I don't believe in ghosts, but there's also no rational explanation for the shadow being where it was, or it's shape, or its movement. No light or reflected light, no physical object, nothing through a window, just the wall etc, so I don't know what it was but if I was a believer I'd be convinced I'm sure.

The second one you had to be there to appreciate it. Walking down an alley near the Black Lion in the late 90s, totally sober, about 6pm on a December Sunday so everything dark and quiet, and my 6ft7 no nonsense built like a wrestler mate a few steps behind me suddenly started high pitched jabbering about something behind me, so I turned around and as I did something tall and like a dark haze dissipated towards the wall. My mate was pale and bricking it and said it had come out of the wall and moved in the gap between us for a few seconds like it was following and trying to push past. He likened it to a featureless human shape being projected onto mist. He wasn't the kind of chap disposed to fantasy, and didn't want me to tell anyone because he knew they'd take the mickey. Again, if I was a believer, and knowing many think that area is haunted, I'd probably think I'd seen a ghost.

Neither has convinced me though!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Nah, he was talking about Brighton. NSC represents Brighton in terms of Brexit quite well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here