[Music] Bands/artists who made just the one stellar album

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
The Postal Service's Give Up.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
ZZ Top - Eliminator

No! 'Eliminator' was commercially successful and had some catchy tunes, but their earlier albums are in a different class. 'Tres Hombres' is my favourite, closely followed by 'Rio Grande Mud'. They are so much more than 'Gimme All Your Lovin' & 'Legs'. I would advise anyone who hasn't got a copy to get their 'Original Album Series' CD Collection. 5 albums, including 'Eliminator', but also provides such tunes as 'Jesus Just Left Chicago', 'Just Got Paid', 'Francine', 'La Grange', 'Beer Drinkers & Hell Raisers', 'Tush', 'Cheap Sunglasses', 'I Thank You'. Before the synth boogie saw them go massive, they really were very hard to beat as a Southern Blues Band.

I'll never get tired of pushing the talents of Gavin Clark. The one Sunhouse album 'Crazy On The Weekend' should have been massive. I suspect that, like Nick Drake's 'Five Leaves Left', when it's time comes, it eventually will be. It's just too good not to be. Sadly too late for Gavin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YucfojVZc2c&list=PL8a8cutYP7fqTAkCJW3Ma34jkqURmksge

Last edited:

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I'll never get tired of pushing the talents of Gavin Clark. The one Sunhouse album 'Crazy On The Weekend' should have been massive. I suspect that, like Nick Drake's 'Five Leaves Left', when it's time comes, it eventually will be. It's just too good not to be. Sadly too late for Gavin.

I first became aware of him through his contribution to the "This is England" soundtrack.

https://youtu.be/bxM_eVYnDg4

The songs of his last album "Evangelist" released after his death were finished off in Toy Room Studios in Brighton.

Last edited:

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Love (Arthur Lee plus some yound musicians) played at Mount Ephraim (Canterbury) festival 10+ years ago. We went along expecting rubbish. It was....stunning. Old fans of my vintage were in tears. In my top five favourite gigs of all time....it helps to know all the songs. They made a DVD at the time (which I have) but Arthur died a few years later. Not that much before the gig he came out of jain laving been banged up for '3 strikes and your out'. It must have been amazing for him soon after for these youngsters to pull him out of retirement and recreate his sound so perfectly. And his voice was unchanged. <sigh> :love:

I heard about their gig/gigs and would have seen them like a shot if I'd been in the country.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
image.jpeg

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
The Tears - Here Come the Tears.

Criminally underrated. For any fans of Suede, Brett Anderson or Bernard Butler who haven't listened to this, you must, you will thank me.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
The Postal Service's Give Up.

Oh that's a fantastic shout :thumbsup:

Introduced my girlfriend to that album when we met and she absolutely fell in love with it. She said "We should check to see when they're playing next"

She looked so crestfallen when I told her they don't really do touring. Or new music.

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
Admittedly he died before he could put anything else out

There's been a few posthumous albums, a smattering of live albums and the like but nothing comes close to Grace

I have no doubt in my mind he would have produced something as good as if not better than Grace had he the chance.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I have no doubt in my mind he would have produced something as good as if not better than Grace had he the chance.

I like to think sometimes about great artists that died too young and whether they'd still be going now.

I think Kurt Cobain, for instance, were he alive now, would be some sort of grunge Tom Waits. Slightly removed from his work in Nirvana but still unquestionably Kurt Cobain.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here