Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How could we get Odsonne Édouard?

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I also think Duffy's value might be lower than most of us think. Nearer £10m than £15M in this market.
Plus sides know that we would like to have Shane's wage removed from our budget.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Celtic fan I work with (not a source or ITK) believes that Celtic are looking for close to £60m and that he is happy to stay at Celtic because of the platform that Champions League gives him. Makes sense. Another good season at Celtic and a bit of an eye catching CL and he could well go for that.

the day a player from the MTL goes for £60 million is the day I finally lose all hope in humanity

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
the day a player from the MTL goes for £60 million is the day I finally lose all hope in humanity

If Celtic don't want to sell him, his market value (whatever that might be) is meaningless, as is the fact they're in the MTL. If you want him, you'll have to pay over the odds. We've been trying to explain this to deluded Leeds fans for quite a while now.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
If Celtic don't want to sell him, his market value (whatever that might be) is meaningless, as is the fact they're in the MTL. If you want him, you'll have to pay over the odds. We've been trying to explain this to deluded Leeds fans for quite a while now.

oh don't get me wrong, I know it could very well happen, and I totally respect that Celtic could take a similar approach to us with regards to the asking price.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
The Argus have also just posted an article on him referencing the Times article I posted on him yesterday. Would the Argus bother to do that if they weren't aware of any interest from us?

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/18645082.transfer-news-albion-linked-celtic-star-odsonne-edouard/

Brian Owen is on holiday at the moment. That article is written by Charlotte Ikonen (Regional Audience and Content Manager - :shrug:). In today's paper their entire sport section consists of ......one article (an unattributed, short piece on Leon Balogun). In recent days most of their Albion articles have been re-writes of articles that have appeared on Albion's website.

So, I doubt very much that there is anything that can be read into the fact that the Argus have posted that article.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Well the answer is “offer them a lot of money”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Argus confirming we’ve been tracking him for some time - get it done pleeeeease. Best striker we’ve been linked with and would be a huge signing. How badly do Celtic want Duffy...?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Argus confirming we’ve been tracking him for some time - get it done pleeeeease. Best striker we’ve been linked with and would be a huge signing. How badly do Celtic want Duffy...?

I think they need to beat Brentford to Toney too. Bit of an chicken & egg situation as Toney (who would smash the SPL) won’t want to sign for a team with Watkins or Edouard as first choice.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.

My mate who's a big Celtic fan tells me their defence is terrible right now and Duffy is exactly what they need.
He also told me Edouard is much better than the Dembele they sold to Lyon and is sure he'll be a top player at the top level, but he can't see him joining us with the amount of huge clubs being linked.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
So the Argus are reporting we are intrested and the Birmingham news are reporting Villa are intrested with £40 million being the asking price! At age 22 6ft 2 tall and haveing played for the French national team at all levels except for the senior level which one would think is only a matter of time, 28 goals last season looks like one for the future to me

He may well make the step up, but for context the 28 goals is the same league + cup total of Maupays last season for Brentford. And Edouard has scored them against championship/league 1 level defenses.

How he will do against PL top 6 defences is unknown. Wouldn't expect more than 10 in first PL season???

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Which MTL players have gone on to do well in the PL in recent years? There must be some.

Van Dijk, of course. Andy Robertson. Ryan Fraser, via the Championship. John McGinn did OK, if not spectacularly last season, when he was fit (and joined Villa when they were in the Championship). Others?

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
Which MTL players have gone on to do well in the PL in recent years? There must be some.

Van Dijk, of course. Andy Robertson. Ryan Fraser, via the Championship. John McGinn did OK, if not spectacularly last season, when he was fit (and joined Villa when they were in the Championship). Others?

Stuart Armstrong has been decent for saints, Tierney really come into his own for arsenal in the last few months, and then there's Moussa Dembele who went abroad and scored two goals in a champions league quarter final last week.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Stuart Armstrong has been decent for saints, Tierney really come into his own for arsenal in the last few months, and then there's Moussa Dembele who went abroad and scored two goals in a champions league quarter final last week.

Yep, agree with those. Tierney always looked like he'd be one who would go on to better things, to be fair. Quite clearly a step above the MTL (and most of the Scottish team). Comes across as a lad with a fantastic attitude too.

Victor Wanyama is another one who left the MTL, but he seems to have disappeared off the radar, so hardly qualifies as a towering success.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Yep, agree with those. Tierney always looked like he'd be one who would go on to better things, to be fair. Quite clearly a step above the MTL (and most of the Scottish team). Comes across as a lad with a fantastic attitude too.

Victor Wanyama is another one who left the MTL, but he seems to have disappeared off the radar, so hardly qualifies as a towering success.

He was a good PL midfield for a fair few seasons with two separate sides, so I’d say it was a relative success. Think people under rate the SPL. The top players generally do well in the Prem (sometimes after a year or so in L1 or the champ). A lot of these players are attracted to being able to play in Europe so Celtic do have pulling power of decent European talent

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here