Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2020

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
I know this is Film 2020, but I watched Mad Max: Fury Road again the other night.

I'm giving it 95%. Probably the best action flick of the last 10 years. Its bold, ridiculous, and absolutely non-stop. Its IMPOSSIBLE not to enjoy this movie - the number of times I laughed a "f*cking hell" out loud is testament to its brashness. The various vehicles are a ridiculous work of art, the deliberate lack of CGI in the chases and the crashes are a joy. Its cuffing brilliant from start to finish. Max (Tom Hardy) is actually quite underwhelming, but Furiosa (a one-armed Charlize Theron) and Immortal Joe more than make up for it.

If you haven't seen this flick yet - you're missing out. Its absolutely bonkers brilliant

[yt]hEJnMQG9ev8[/yt]

Described as one long music video. A non-stop cartoonesque romp, but not one for repeat viewings imho.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
(I could not disagree more. Its stupendous.)

Same here, Easy. One of my all time favourites.
Never get fed up watching it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
For those who (like me) had A Quiet Place II booked for next week (I was going on Thursday to see it at Crawley's 4DX screen) you might want to know that it has (quite aptly) quietly been put back to an unspecified date in the future.

I'll wait and see if Cineworld contact me about it...looking on the schedule for Thursday, at roughly the same time as AQP2 was going to screen, Onward is in its place, and there's no mention of AQP2 at all. However, in My Account it is still showing as an active booking...

I had booked to see No Time To Die, which was the first to get postponed. It was postponed on 4th March. It took until 12th for Cineworld to email confirming the booking was cancelled. Though mine was via cineworld unlimited, so there was no refund involved - they may have prioritised cancellations that included refunds.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
******POSSIBLE SPOILERS*******

Rockwell is just an actor I’ve never much liked but I can’t deny his talent.

There’s a lot to recommend in this film. I get the impression Jewell was on some kind of Spectrum but luckily for him, his ignorance of boundaries leads him to getting to know the lawyer.
I did chuckle when the lawyer says to Jewell “before they come in here is there any more weird shit about you I need to know” :)
I watched that last night, and thoroughly enjoyed it, thanks.

My Neighbour Totoro - Netflix (rewatch).

Wonderful, gorgeously drawn, relaxing, happy film. Watched it with my young son who was absolutely transfixed.

8/10
===

OMG omg omg - Does this mean you have only just dipped into the Ghibli world.

If it does you are so so lucky, watching a Ghibli film with the kids was one of my parental highlights.
With the exception of Close Encounters, nothing has ever stopped my kids (and any others who happen to be in the house) in their tracks, like a Ghibli film.

I'll not bore you senseless rating them all, now, but am more than happy to do so, if you want!!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I watched that last night, and thoroughly enjoyed it, thanks.

OMG omg omg - Does this mean you have only just dipped into the Ghibli world.

If it does you are so so lucky, watching a Ghibli film with the kids was one of my parental highlights.
With the exception of Close Encounters, nothing has ever stopped my kids (and any others who happen to be in the house) in their tracks, like a Ghibli film.

I'll not bore you senseless rating them all, now, but am more than happy to do so, if you want!!

No ha, I’m a pretty seasoned Ghibli veteran, but my son’s just turned 2 so it’s all new for him.

But I’d like to see your top 5, why, and how it ranks against mine.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No ha, I’m a pretty seasoned Ghibli veteran, but my son’s just turned 2 so it’s all new for him.

But I’d like to see your top 5, why, and how it ranks against mine.

Still very jealous of you, doing it all over again.

I genuinely don't think I can do a top 5.

1 - Totoro - I loves Totoro and need to ride on the cat bus.

2 - Howl's Moving Castle.
2 - Spirited Away.
2 - Ponyo
2 - Laputa Castle in the Sky.

Honourable mentions for the not Miyazaki The Cat Returns & Grave of the Fireflies - Jeeeez that's a watch!

I do need to revisit The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, as I think I've only watched it once and might have undercut by the hype surrounding it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Still very jealous of you, doing it all over again.

I genuinely don't think I can do a top 5.

1 - Totoro - I loves Totoro and need to ride on the cat bus.

2 - Howl's Moving Castle.
2 - Spirited Away.
2 - Ponyo
2 - Laputa Castle in the Sky.

Honourable mentions for the not Miyazaki The Cat Returns & Grave of the Fireflies - Jeeeez that's a watch!

I do need to revisit The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, as I think I've only watched it once and might have undercut by the hype surrounding it.

We’re doing Ponyo for the first time RIGHT NOW. He’s loving it. Totoro is his favourite.

My top 5:

1. Spirited Away
2. Prince Kaguya - unbelievably beautiful. Saw it twice at the cinema.
3. My Neighbour Totoro
4. Howl’s Moving Castle
5. Ponyo

I think this list might change through watching with my son. Totoro is a superb film.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We’re doing Ponyo for the first time RIGHT NOW. He’s loving it. Totoro is his favourite.

My top 5:

1. Spirited Away
3. My Neighbour Totoro
4. Howl’s Moving Castle
5. Ponyo

I think this list might change through watching with my son. Totoro is a superb film.

Spirited Away was my introduction.
I was into that long before I knew of Ghibli, if you know what I mean.

By rights that should be my #1, but I just love Totoro so much, there was a time when I was just like him/her :lolol:

If you haven't seen Grave of the Fireflies, you really much seek it out, after jnrs bedtime and when you're feeling 'stable'.
You'll never make it through if you're had a emotional day.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
It's one of those times, isn't it. For me, i sought to do the right thing and have the mother in law visit now, with the thought that the virus will quash the possibility of travel and she best get it out of the way now. So, she came, about 2 weeks ago. It was originally to be for a week, with the missus' sister coming for a few days at the end. So, what happened, of course, was, on the day before departure, the sister to vomit, faint, and break her wrist in doing so. An operation was carried out yesterday, and the stay is now to last another 2 weeks. During the 2 weeks thus far, with me feeling a stranger in my own home, i've fled to the cinema, in spite of warnings from the deeply concerned missus of what i am bound to catch there, and slay our child.
The last 3 films i've seen though, had me with no more than 15 fellow viewers in total, all of us a considerable distance apart. The first was The Invisible Man, in Leicester Square, with around 9 scattered people around. The title of the film had me reticent to attend - nothing could be better than Chevy Chase's take on it surely - , but a mention or two on here had me more intrigued. I have to say that it was indeed quite good. And that was so much down to Elizabeth Moss. She's such an actress, with that level of strength and uncertainty on screen that has one hooked and wanting to know more. The film itself wasn't bad, thrilling and shocking in occasional aplomb, but it's a bit like a Freddy Kreuger flick with someone who could act in it. Imagine.

The second was The True History of the Kelly Gang, and for this only 1 other fellow was in the cinema. Not a wheeze or sniffle came from him, so i reckon i got by.
The film unfolded in 3 parts, with the first introducing Ned Kelly to an adulthood, at the age of 12 or so, that no one of any age should witness. Death and vengeance and debauchery, attached to family loyalty and hating the damn Brits. He has an array of father figures, but Russell Crowe stands out for a while giving what i thought was a decent enough performance. The second section of the film was Ned away from his family and George MacKay as Ned with an intensity that fits in with the violence that is to continue and follow. It was a searing watch with many an encounter erupting, and the Brits rightly portrayed as worthy of being felled. It didn't drag me into itself emotionally at all times, but had its visual moments.

Finally, just last night, i saw Calm with Horses, with 4 other folk in a cinema of 150 seats. I quite liked it. The music was occasionally with an odd 80s synth feel, which wasn't right, but throughout it had violence with a slight sense of feeling from its main perpetrator, Arm. He was a monstrous and imposing figure, carrying out acts for a family of rotters in western Ireland, punching people with a shocking amount of power. He's trapped into being this figure, made out to be a family member when he's really just a weapon. His yearning, in coke-free moments, to be with his actual son begins to entangle his sense of responsibility. I was quite moved here and there, and tickled with some of the drugged-up dialogue that came through at times. Cosmo Jarvis gave quite a performance as Arm, and some other actors did cartoonishly well.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

My top 5:

1. Spirited Away
3. My Neighbour Totoro
4. Howl’s Moving Castle
5. Ponyo

Im a 50 year old man, sat indoors with various teenagers plugged into their own screens and have found myself watching Totoro, with no guilt or shame.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
I think it would be good to keep this thread going through these odd times. With the cinemas all closed (AFAIK) there's clearly not going to be any new releases for us to talk about - other than if they start releasing them early online to stream (I think Universal might be about to do this). So, do you all think it is worth talking about slightly older films that maybe our home-based nature at the moment has given us the opportunity to catch up on?

To my mind, this can range from really old, to very recent. Your recommendation (or warning to avoid) a film might come in useful to those who are self-isolating or stuck at home anyway, with little else to do. It would still live up to the thread title if you take it as films you've seen in 2020.

On Tuesday I finally got to see Richard Jewell, which I missed at the cinemas. I didn't know the story (must've missed it when it originally happened and was in the news) and thought it was an interesting tale, well told. It was a bombing during the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, during a concert, when the titular security guard initially hailed a hero, quickly became a suspect by the authorities goaded by the press. Clint Eastwood directed, and did a fair job of this.

I also caught up with The Aeronauts on Amazon Prime (the film is free on there at the moment) which I didn't really fancy while it was at the cinema, but thought I'd give it a try. Quite different to my expectations, with a story that focused on just one balloon flight, but effectively so. A diverting way to pass the time, with Eddie Redmayne and Felicity Jones (who put in a very good performance I thought, once the initial theatrics were out the way).

Last edited:

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Watched The Brighton Miracle yesterday afternoon, which came out last year, and is a docudrama(?) about Eddie Jones transforming the fortunes of the Japan rugby team, culminating in the win against South Africa at the Amex. It's in documentary style, with the key people interviewed, alongside dramatised footage from each stage of the action. The actors they got in are really close in appearance to the real people - I thought the "behind the scenes" shots of Eddie Jones, WAS Eddie himself! Despite me not having much interest in rugby these days (I loved playing it at school, around 40 years ago, but have never developed an interest in watching/following it) it was a fascinating look at how Eddie did an incredible job with the squad, completely transforming their view on their abilities, and their fitness - two things which made a big difference. I initially chose to watch it to see how the Amex looked/was represented on screen, but so glad I saw this film. Absorbing and well done.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Just enjoyed 'The Gentlemen'

Typical Ritchie fayre, particularly enjoyed Hugh Grant and Colin Farrell.

"There is no posh part of Croydon" :clap2::D
I found it an unexpected pleasure. Hugh Grant in particular I thought worth the price of admission! Not a classic, but a very enjoyable romp. A good bit of escapism for these uncertain times.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Just watched Fisherman's friends. For me, utter gash. 3/10

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Escape from Warsaw. Relatively unknown but very good. It's on Amazon. 8/10

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Meant to update this thread with a note about Downhill - Will Ferrell and Julia Louis-Dreyfus. Probably one of the more misleading recent trailers, making it look like a comedy of sorts, yet one of the dourest, downbeat story of a marriage in jeopardy that I've seen in a long while. Saving grace was that it was fairly short (less than 90 minutes, although felt longer). Would not recommend this for when it appears on streaming services, or DVD...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here