Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potterball, your opinions so far?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Of course we did, but fewer from a pure defensive perspective. A lot of the goals we’ve conceded have been preventable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t have the stats but it doesn’t feel like we’re conceding more to me this season and I’m pretty sure we’re scoring more. I take your point about defensive lapses from set pieces but we had those last season too and Duffy is your man if you are going to spend the game defending, he’s not ideal for the way we now play though. That’s the balance Potter has considered and decided to put the emphasis on retention, ball skills and attacking.

We all feel differently and it’s obviously personal. You seem to prefer CH’s approach, I prefer Potters. They both have their upsides and downsides.

Last edited:

kentgully

Jan 10, 2016
Worthing
Other than we drew there last season.

Edit - Reading your other posts, totally understand you don’t like CH’s brand of football, it’s all opinions..... but the fact is on a bottom 3 budget for two seasons, he kept us in the league, and has put us in a place for Potter to move us forward.

Forever grateful

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I am concerned about a weakness in our defence but I am sure that GP will address that. I think the telling comment at Arsenal was a match pundit, not sure whether it was Shearer in the commentary or Pardew, said the difference was 11 players playing against a team in Black. Which summed us and our performance up well.

Agree entirely

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

Edit - Reading your other posts, totally understand you don’t like CH’s brand of football, it’s all opinions..... but the fact is on a bottom 3 budget for two seasons, he kept us in the league, and has put us in a place for Potter to move us forward.

my apologies, i mean no offence. i have the utmost respect for CH as a man and what he achieved, but we have moved on to a higher plane, well most of us have ???

kentgully

Jan 10, 2016
Worthing

Forever grateful

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Hit nail on head last post last season we survived by skin of our teeth playing like a team who shouldn't be in the premier league. Tottenham away and 1St half Newcastle at home when we were appalling to say the least. It seemed the players dare I say it weren't playing for sir Chris for whatever reasons and yes we stank the league out with our boring football. Now we have a manager who is coaching the players making them better bringing some young talent through from under 23s and they are thriving. We are now being looked at as a good side and even the top teams don't take Brighton as a routine victory. Pep last game said he knew city would win once we took the lead not necessarily through arrogance but he knew the only way we could play. He won't be saying that again when he visits the amex later this season that's for sure

insightful........ we are thriving, as opposed to surviving :D

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
This is what slightly exasperates me about talking about the past and why I always feel bad debating JRG.

You've acknowledged you agree with my analysis of the current style. ALL I am saying is that Potter represents more risk and reward than Hughton did in the Premier League. In The Championship it was a different story, of course. We attacked teams we knew were lesser than us. We hit teams that were our match on the break (in a different way, often the long diagonal or Knocky dribbling out, both of which are risky, but different). But in the PL we sat back too much. It drove me mad. It drove the people I sit with mad. And Bloom is far more of a risk taker than me.

The only way you can truly appreciate the present is to compare it with the past. You have to do so fairly, of course. Hughton isn't off limits but mentioning his caution in the last six months isn't giving him shit. It's a fact. It's also a fact that he's the most successful manager we've ever had, or certainly tied with Mullery. Both are true.

Mate, what you have just said there is measured and fair. I picked you up because you were comparing watching Hughton's playing style to water torture. There's too many comments like that flying around. Too much casual disrespect

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Stay up this season with exciting good to watch football then he could really crack on next season with 2 transfer windows under his belt.

What's not to like.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Can somebody explain to me as to why after a player has been booked we never seem to play on the player and take him on. 3 Arsenal defenders were booked and nobody took them on 1 on 1.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I don’t have the stats but it doesn’t feel like we’re conceding more to me this season and I’m pretty sure we’re scoring more. I take your point about defensive lapses from set pieces but we had those last season too and Duffy is your man if you are going to spend the game defending, he’s not ideal for the way we now play though. That’s the balance Potter has considered and decided to put the emphasis on retention, ball skills and attacking.

We all feel differently and it’s obviously personal. You seem to prefer CH’s approach, I prefer Potters. They both have their upsides and downsides.

After 15 games last year, we had scored 19 and conceded 21.

First PL season we had scored 14 and conceded 19.

This year we have scored 18 and conceded 22.

However, this year we have played 5 of the big 6 away from home already.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
my apologies, i mean no offence. i have the utmost respect for CH as a man and what he achieved, but we have moved on to a higher plane, well most of us have ???

Sure, and sorry if my post caused any offence as we are all fans.

I loved Hughton, but surely the Tottenham performance alone would/should have swayed any doubters.

However, it’s not about being better IMO, just a different style. What is better is the integration of younger players.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
:lolol: Behave CH only managed 1pt in two seasons at the so called big six. Now you have him down for a shoe in 1-0 win at the Emirates.

Yes, you know that Arsenal did not play all that well. Albion earned the victory but in the first half of the season CH's team was capable of beating a team such as the way Arsenal played on Thursday evening.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Not saying that I prefer Hughton, I just find the ongoing comparison’s and apparent lack of respect a little irksome.

When we are in possession, it reminds me of Poyet.

That said I certainly prefer Hughton’s style when we haven’t got possession, which fortunately these days isn’t very often [emoji2]

In terms of conceding, it’s the manner of how we have conceded.

I would always have Duffy in.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I will forever love Sir Chris, but this team under Potter is by far the best Albion team I've ever seen.

I know this sounds ridiculously optimistic, but I have seen enough to suggest we can finish in the top 10, maybe even top 6 this season.

Put it this way, how many teams have actually looked noticeably better than us? Man City, Man Utd (the best they've played this season), Leicester, and Chelsea. I suppose you could say Southampton but that wasn't the case until Andone had strop. And you'll note that Champions elect Liverpool are absent from that list.

So yes, Potter amazes me. He is tactically brilliant, he's given the right youngsters a chance, and he knows our weakness is a partner for Dunk at the back.

Next season worries me when both Potter and Dunk get jobs at Champions League clubs. Can anyone seriously see Arsenal not making a massive bid for Dunk in the summer? They won't be alone.

Last edited:

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Sure, and sorry if my post caused any offence as we are all fans.

I loved Hughton, but surely the Tottenham performance alone would/should have swayed any doubters.

However, it’s not about being better IMO, just a different style. What is better is the integration of younger players.

the greatest difference for me, as many people have said, is the excitement, football as it's meant to be :D

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Really? You seem to be suggesting we never had a lapse in defence under CH.

Not nearly as many as lapses in offense. But there were a significant amount of good games under CH last year. Mostly at the beginning of the season. We are still in the first half of this season under Potter and have yet to have a better point total. Many here are counting their chicks before they hatch.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Not saying that I prefer Hughton, I just find the ongoing comparison’s and apparent lack of respect a little irksome.

When we are in possession, it reminds me of Poyet.

That said I certainly prefer Hughton’s style when we haven’t got possession, which fortunately these days isn’t very often [emoji2]

In terms of conceding, it’s the manner of how we have conceded.

I would always have Duffy in.

I'd say both Duffy and Webster have deficiencies that expose Potter's style. Webster is a decent footballer, especially coming forward - but a below average defender at this level, esp at set pieces. Duffy is a great defender but lacking in skill and lacks a range of passing.

I reckon he plays whichever suits us depending on the opposition.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here