[Albion] Lewis Hammans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
What an incredibly moving story. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.

It sounded like you really did help him live his life to the fullest he possibly could. I hope you're able to take some comfort in that.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
A worthy tribute about a short life, well lived.
My sincere condolences, to you and your loved ones.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Just writing this for my own selfish/cathartic reasons, but I've been here long enough to know that sometimes it helps ease some pain.

My lad died this morning at 5am. He had Muscular Dystrophy so we knew this day would come for the last 17 years, but it was still very unexpected. He was a massive Brighton fan, which was my fault. We were season ticket holders at Withdean and I used to park his wheelchair under the steps of south stand and carry him up the stairs to his seat. We would discuss the games on the way home, listening to Radio Sussex.

In the move to the Amex, I spunked my redundancy on a 1901 seat, primarily so he could stay warm before, at HT, and after games, and we have had seats there since the Amex opened. We travelled home and away together, his first away game being Northampton, and the number of away grounds he went to increased well into the forties.

He was a mainstay of the Brighton Hove Albion Powerchair football team, playing for them for 8-9 years, scoring more than 170 goals in that time. He was top goal scorer in the country in 2016/17 season, qualifying for Champions League football, where BHAPFC finished 5th in Europe.

He never got to represent his country in powerchair football, which was his dream, but he was close. He did participate in a Paralympic sport called Boccia, and did qualify for England playing tournaments in Moscow and Prague. He missed out on Rio Paralympics by 1 place, finishing several years as England number 2, and GB number 4.

He suffered 6 cardiac arrests since Friday morning, and the staff at RSCH were brilliant. Air ambulance in Lindfield in early hours of Friday, and scenes from ER on Friday / Sat. Stabilised after that and yesterday, we thought we saw light at end of long tunnel, but 5&6 happened in quick succession this morning. They got him going after 5, but could not after 6.

That was my boy, and I miss him so much. The pain is unbearable, and so I thought I'd type some stuff to help me remember all the stuff we did together. Buckleys Sore Hamstring never posted much, but will not post again, and I have no idea where to turn. We are all in bits.:cry::down:

I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of your son.
It takes a great deal of courage to come on here to give such sad news, whilst you're in the process of grieving.
You'll always be amongst friends on NSC, even if you don't know them :)

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
Your son couldn’t have wished for a better father.

And you couldn’t have wished for a better son.

Your memories of him will never fade.

TB

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
So incredibly sad, and such a terrible loss. Like most I don’t know you but please feel the love and support from the big NSC family. You sound like an amazing dad and he sounds like an amazing son.

RIP Lewis

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Anyone recommend any counsellors? Have lived with this possibility for 17 years now, and have blocked it, thinking I didn't need any help. With Mum going 5 weeks ago, a friend going 3 weeks ago, my son today, and other sad news in the last 2 weeks, I am struggling. Haywards Heath area? So tired of feeling sad. All cried out.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Anyone recommend any counsellors? Have lived with this possibility for 17 years now, and have blocked it, thinking I didn't need any help. With Mum going 5 weeks ago, a friend going 3 weeks ago, my son today, and other sad news in the last 2 weeks, I am struggling. Haywards Heath area? So tired of feeling sad. All cried out.

Contact your GP's surgery. The receptionists will have details of bereavement services in your area. Don't be afraid to let your GP know what's going on as well.

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
Devasted to hear this, sending my best wishes. You should be proud of your son.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Found that a good place to start is your GP, who can make recommendations.

Or, there's these...

https://www.yell.com/s/bereavement+counselling-haywards+heath.html

A start.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Thank you for sharing that.

Life enhancing.

With best wishes, HWT.

ps tears shed.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
What a wonderful tribute to your much loved son and fellow Albion fan.

We’ve all lost something today.

As others have said speak to your GP and use NSC as much or as little as you need. We’re one big and diverse family.

RIP Lewis and mum

Last edited:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Abide with me; fast falls the eventide;
The darkness deepens; Lord with me abide.
When other helpers fail and comforts flee,
Help of the helpless, O abide with me.

A football hymn for a football lad.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
No words that I, a total stranger, can type will ease your grief at this dreadful time, but know that I will be thinking of you and your family and send you my warmest condolences. Your son sounds like he lived as a full a life as it is possible for anyone with that debilitating condition can - indeed, a fuller life than many people I know who do not have anything like the problems he inevitably faced. You too are to be applauded - from what you say, you played a major part in bringing him joy and happiness in following and playing for the Albion and at higher levels.

I'm glad that you feel the NSC community is an outlet for your thoughts at this sad time - it really can be an amazing place.

RIP Lewis. RIP Mum too.

This says everything I would like to have said, if I had the eloquence.

RIP Son and Mum

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
You have my deepest and heartfelt sympathy after two tragic losses in such a short period.RIP to both.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
As horrible as it is for you now, and no I don’t know how you get through it. At least, as you have demonstrated, your son has battled against the hand he was dealt and made you a clearly very proud Dad.

Too many people complain about their lot, when they have nothing to complain about. People like your boy, who battle so hard to make the most of their lives are a credit to society.

Life can be really shit sometimes, I just hope you can get through this short term pain!

All the best for you and your family at this hard time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here