Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lewis Hammans

Status
Not open for further replies.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
What a wonderful tribute to your much loved son and fellow Albion fan.

We’ve all lost something today.

As others have said speak to your GP and use NSC as much or as little as you need. We’re one big and diverse family.

RIP Lewis and mum

That’s what I was thinking ....shows so much love

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
What a beautiful and moving post.

The loss of a child is just mind-numbing. We lost our youngest to cancer in 2017. Aged 28, he had so much to look forward to, yet achieved so much, just as Lewis did. His blog set out the starkness of his situation. It was turned into a book, that has sold over 1,000 copies.

Thoughts are with you. Someone once said to us: "You will never get over this; just learn to live with it." Hope you can.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Tonight I’d like to pay tribute on this thread to my beautiful, funny and extraordinary talented nephew Lewis. He was only 20 years old and yet in spite of his disability he achieved incredible feats and brought so much joy to his family and friends during his short life. Our pride in his achievements like our love for him as a family will never diminish. His auntie and I will miss him enormously. We are heartbroken too, the pain my dear brother, sister in law and 3 nieces are enduring tonight is indescribable. Only 7 days ago we buried our mum, Lewis’s gran, who loved him more than words can describe and who raised tens of thousands of pounds to help fight Duchennes Muscular Dystrophy. It was her dying wish to be there to support her eldest son and beloved daughter in law through the inevitable day this wretched disease would finally break all our hearts. Alas after battling her own terminal illness for nearly 3 years she finally succumbed to it last month. And so my wife, our dear old dad and I will instead do our best with others to take care of them now. We are a small but very close knit family who care about each other deeply and are similarly blessed with a caring circle of friends, many of whom are fellow Albion fans and we have shared decades of treasured memories with up and down the land, in the Van of Brothers.

But I’d like to also pay tribute tonight to my brother, Lewis’s dad, Chris. I speak for hundreds I know when I say no father has ever lived that did or tried to do more for his son. He wasn’t just his dad. But his carer. His inspiration. And best friend too. They’ve been inseparable as he’s taken Lewis around the world to see and do so many things in his short life that many of us may not despite a lifetime three or four times as long. And yet he also found time to manage the Albions Powerchair team, driving through terrible conditions with other dedicated parents to compete in countries as far away as Denmark and Russia as well as the regular domestic fixtures centred in Nottingham that meant early Saturday departures and late Sunday night journeys home to Sussex. I like the rest of our family have always been in awe of his sheer stamina and devotion to his family and yet he still found time to run his local scout group and other community groups on weekday evenings.

I hope one day that we will be able to watch the Albion together as a family in Lewis’s memory. For now though my dear brother, know that you and Sue did everything you could for your darling son and that we, your family, will forever hold him in our hearts too.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Tonight I’d like to pay tribute on this thread to my beautiful, funny and extraordinary talented nephew Lewis. He was only 20 years old and yet in spite of his disability he achieved incredible feats and brought so much joy to his family and friends during his short life. Our pride in his achievements like our love for him as a family will never diminish. His auntie and I will miss him enormously. We are heartbroken too, the pain my dear brother, sister in law and 3 nieces are enduring tonight is indescribable. Only 7 days ago we buried our mum, Lewis’s gran, who loved him more than words can describe and who raised tens of thousands of pounds to help fight Duchennes Muscular Dystrophy. It was her dying wish to be there to support her eldest son and beloved daughter in law through the inevitable day this wretched disease would finally break all our hearts. Alas after battling her own terminal illness for nearly 3 years she finally succumbed to it last month. And so my wife, our dear old dad and I will instead do our best with others to take care of them now. We are a small but very close knit family who care about each other deeply and are similarly blessed with a caring circle of friends, many of whom are fellow Albion fans and we have shared decades of treasured memories with up and down the land, in the Van of Brothers.

But I’d like to also pay tribute tonight to my brother, Lewis’s dad, Chris. I speak for hundreds I know when I say no father has ever lived that did or tried to do more for his son. He wasn’t just his dad. But his carer. His inspiration. And best friend too. They’ve been inseparable as he’s taken Lewis around the world to see and do so many things in his short life that many of us may not despite a lifetime three or four times as long. And yet he also found time to manage the Albions Powerchair team, driving through terrible conditions with other dedicated parents to compete in countries as far away as Denmark and Russia as well as the regular domestic fixtures centred in Nottingham that meant early Saturday departures and late Sunday night journeys home to Sussex. I like the rest of our family have always been in awe of his sheer stamina and devotion to his family and yet he still found time to run his local scout group and other community groups on weekday evenings.

I hope one day that we will be able to watch the Albion together as a family in Lewis’s memory. For now though my dear brother, know that you and Sue did everything you could for your darling son and that we, your family, will forever hold him in our hearts too.

****, now you’ve set me off again... can’t someone find something inappropriately funny to say.

I really really feel the pain and loss in the two posts you have both made... heartbreaking, but at the same time warming, for the amount of love that clearly emanates from your family.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
My sincerest condolences to you and to [MENTION=663]portlock seagull[/MENTION] and anyone else connected to Lewis at this time.

Football is one thing, arguments on this forum are another thing. Human lives are entirely different and this place is a family so we are all behind you during this time.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Just writing this for my own selfish/cathartic reasons, but I've been here long enough to know that sometimes it helps ease some pain.

My lad died this morning at 5am.
Oh god Chris I'm so sorry. I was thinking of Lewis just last week and thinking about how this day would come one day long into the future. I had no idea the day could come so soon. I know you dedicated a lot of time to spend with him, so at least he was lucky to have such a dedicated dad.

Best wishes
M

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
It sounds like you had many good times together. At some stage the joy of looking back on those will be at least slightly stronger than the loss of not having more, but that takes a long time. Just now everyone’s thoughts and sympathy are with you in your grief.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Really sorry for your loss. This thread has me in tears. Sounds like even though Lewis got dealt a crap hand in life he played it the best way he possibly could. Hope your pain eases soon and you get to remember him and celebrate him without too much sadness.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
...We are a small but very close knit family who care about each other deeply and are similarly blessed with a caring circle of friends, many of whom are fellow Albion fans and we have shared decades of treasured memories with up and down the land, in the Van of Brothers.

I just love this... We have so many happy family memories of football trips, first in Dad's campervan in the 70's... right up to trips with my boys in the 'Gus Bus'... we have been struggling for a new name... you guys have nailed it.

It's only football, but it a huge part of the cement in our family lives.

Up the Albion!

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
So sorry to hear this. My thoughts are with you and all of Lewis's family. It sounds like he was an exceptional young man with an exceptional family around him.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I'm truly sorry about your loss. All the best for the future. From experience I can say that life changes but there will still be happy times to come, just those silly little memories that bring you back down.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I can't add really add anything to what has already been said. I've never met you, but obviously I've read your posts over the years and knew about your son, and all I can say is am extremely sorry for your terrible loss. I simply cannot think of anything worse than losing a child, even if you knew their life was going to be shorter than most. It's probably no consolation, but you DID do your very very best for him - and I'm sure he knew it.

Stay strong for him. God bless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here