Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The England game tonight

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
One of the problems with the dullness of the qualifying, is the group stage has been devalued by too many teams qualifying, playoffs and the Nations League. A format change would make it more watchable.

Ideally I’d reduce the number of teams in the tournament, but as we know that won’t happen. As we have to work with in that, I think the qualifying format should be ……

For the Euros there are 24 places in the tournament and 55 teams.

I’d have 10 groups of 4 and 3 groups of 5

13 Winners qualify
6 best runners up records
4 more from the Nations league winners
1 host nation qualifies, (clearly we need to go back to having one host)

Each team then gets 6 or 8 qualifying games and could get badly punished for a slip

For world cups, last time Europe had 18 qualifiers. I’d still have 10 groups of 4 and 3 groups of 5

13 group winners
5 best runners up.

Again, bin the play offs to put more pressure on the group games.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
NB. I read that we are led to expect a young team.. Hope he knows what he is doing ???

I wouldn’t hold your breath, or let me put it another way I am fecking delighted that he is not the Albion’s manager

I think I could manage England in the group stages :smile:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Oh I DO enjoy a thread where people feel the need to tell us they don't watch England games.

I don't watch Coronation Street

oh, actually that was quite fun.

Much more fun on a rugby thread though. I do generally give an England game a watch if I’ve got nothing on, I seldom make it to half time . I did watch the Kosovo game though, thoroughly enjoyable even with the comedy defending.

The last time I watched Coronation Street Ena Sharples and Hilda Ogden were in it

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
the last time i watched coronation street ena sharples and hilda ogden were in it

NN.jpg

n. N.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
I don't usually miss an England game at Wembley but I'll be watching it tonight in the Ship.

And i read on here it was a problem getting football in a ship .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
1,000th game so quite a memento and one to tell the grandkids about for those lucky enough to be going tonight.

Stop it, now, you naughty man :lolol:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I might watch it on TV, frankly never been that bothered. never been to an England game, and don't think I ever will.

Ditto, I really don't think it is worth a, the time, b, the cost, c, the emotional despair.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I bought tickets ages ago. (god knows why they sell them so far in advance). But various members of our group have dropped out, mainly due to the fact it's a thursday night and Wembley is an arse to go to. I suspect that although they've sold a lot many might make the same decision.

I now find myself not bothered either.

They are trialling the mobile tickets tonight which they used at the Nations League games, so will be interesting to see if anyone gets in. It worked well for us in Porto to be fair. In the old days of printed tickets I would have passed these on, but with each individual ticket on each individuals mobile this is now an arse to do.

Anyone else going? Anyone bothered?

I'm going, though I was wavering earlier in the week due to the effort involved in getting home from Wembley (if I miss my one train from Paddington at 11.30 I am totally ****ed). Good opportunity for a few beers and hopefully some good football.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
A flat battery would be a pain

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
1,000th game so quite a memento and one to tell the grandkids about for those lucky enough to be going tonight.

Meh. Although I did go to the last game at the old wembley against Germany this is not one that inspires me. I think we currently have one of the poorest England teams I can remember - and I go back quite a way!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Meh. Although I did go to the last game at the old wembley against Germany this is not one that inspires me. I think we currently have one of the poorest England teams I can remember - and I go back quite a way!

Sorry but that's ridiculous. Do you even go back to the last Euros ??

This team are obviously not world-beaters, but they've come on leaps and bounds under Southgate and are playing a bolder, more progressive style under him. There's not many teams in Europe that wouldn't want a front 3 of Kane, Sterling and Rashford / Sancho. There ARE weaknesses around the team, we still don't have a creative no10 (although Maddison/Grealish could potentially change that), but to say this is the poorest ever that you can remember ?

You don't have to go back very far at all to see us routinely STINKING the place out. This team over the last couple of years has vastly improved.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Does anyone actually give a **** about the england team anymore? I mean apart from the top 6 plastics.

Wait until Dunk and Webster get their call ups. I GUARANTEE that you will be interested then!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Does anyone actually give a **** about the england team anymore? I mean apart from the top 6 plastics.

Well I'm not a top 6 plastic, and I give a ****. I always have, still do and always will. I want to see us win a tournament.

Anyway, its the top 6 plastics who hate England for taking chunks of their squad away on International duty. Look at the flags of St George around the stadiums, its nearly all EFL and lesser PL clubs. You don't see that many flags from our so-called top 6 clubs by comparison.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Sorry but that's ridiculous. Do you even go back to the last Euros ??

This team are obviously not world-beaters, but they've come on leaps and bounds under Southgate and are playing a bolder, more progressive style under him. There's not many teams in Europe that wouldn't want a front 3 of Kane, Sterling and Rashford / Sancho. There ARE weaknesses around the team, we still don't have a creative no10 (although Maddison/Grealish could potentially change that), but to say this is the poorest ever that you can remember ?

You don't have to go back very far at all to see us routinely STINKING the place out. This team over the last couple of years has vastly improved.

Please re-read my post and let me know where I said it is the poorest.
I don’t dispute we have some talent in some positions, but as a team it is not great and whilst they will qualify for international finals I don’t see them being any better than many squads in the past.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well I'm not a top 6 plastic, and I give a ****. I always have, still do and always will. I want to see us win a tournament.

Anyway, its the top 6 plastics who hate England for taking chunks of their squad away on International duty. Look at the flags of St George around the stadiums, its nearly all EFL and lesser PL clubs. You don't see that many flags from our so-called top 6 clubs by comparison.

This.
[MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] writes an excellent blog on following England home and away. It’s very clear, from just a cursory read, that tickets for an away game are still hard to come by and go only to those loyal fans who travel everywhere, and do the same with their clubs. You won’t see any top 6 plastics in the photos on his site. Just genuine football fans.

That Sheffield Wednesday bloke who always has his top off is a regular I believe.

In fact the only embarrassment is the band.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here