Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What was your favourite car

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

I was a bit non plussed at first, but got into it . . theyre good cars . . I've raced at Goodwood a few times, Spa loads, Dijon, Chimay, Brands etc and Sillystone @ the British GP, but LeMans in a reasonably quick old tin box, in the dark, really does take the biscuit.

the Harrington Alpine was a special one too, at LeMans, it was dog slow, finished 35th, although top 10 index, but for sentimental reasons its up there as its a local car,( Harrington coach works was less than a mile from the Goldstone ground) and it was the genuine car raced by Proctor/Harper in 1961 . . .this photo is the car in the HArrington showroom, August 1961, which is now the Audi dealership in Worthing next to the sussex model centre.

3000RW 011small.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 113

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Screenshot_2019-11-14 1977 Ford Granada Dorchester Limousine .png

Granada Dorchester convertion.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Im not a huge car fan and I ride my bike most places, but I have had a few over the last few years. Mazda, Kia, Toyota....
Some may scoff, but my latest car is my favourite...a little red Nissan Micra like the one below (2001, 1.0) that I picked up cheap from an elderly neighbour who was giving up driving. Costs almost nothing to run (about £15 petrol a week), really nippy, cheap insurance, never a problem mechanically, and still less than 47k on the clock (19k miles when I got it in 2012)
Gets me around town doing school runs etc. when needed....which isnt often tbh. It has a few blemishes now, but its a super little lump of metal to drive.

104137675_934.jpg

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
View attachment 117121

:lol: only joking petrolheads :kiss:

I've not thought about Triumph Herald's for a bazillion years, until the 'garage finds' thread.
That said they also had a 2 seater Merc which probably edges it:-

View attachment 117122

But for real world cars.
As far as I'm concerned the money Toyota threw at rallying in my formative years, esp the Celica GT4, was worth every penny.

View attachment 117123

View attachment 117124

Oh sorry misread the title.

The only decent car I ever owned was

View attachment 117127

Which makes my answer quite simple.

MR2 (not GT) was a great car but truly dangerous on the limit. I once spun said motor on the Shooter's Hill Road. Luckily it was only 7am in the morning.

Was (very) lucky enough to drive Nick Mason's F40 at Goodwood. Still the hyper car to beat (imho).

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
this was my last one, about 2000-2003 a very good car, much improved over the mk1, although not as light or quite as good looking. was a very reliable daily driver, did over 20 000 miles init in 2 1/2 years. View attachment 117134 took me to work and back, to albion matches and the first REMF game.

Looking at the first picture reminded me of the time I fitted a smaller sporty steering wheel to my Cortina.
I huffed and puffed trying to pull the one off in your photo.
All of sudden it came loose and smashed my face in :eek:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Just use Google images, choose image, drag and drop onto your desktop and select 'from file' to upload.

:thumbsup:

Forgive my ignorance, I only use my phone or tablet which is why I’ve always favoured photo hosting sites, if it’s a photo on in my phone’s album can I upload that via google somehow or am I still in need of a host site?

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
Standard cars - these have got better as I get older and have more money

So I have evolved through minis and metros, Vauxhall Nova, Citroen BXs, Renault 19, Leguna, Saab 93 Aero Turbo convertible, to my current car Jaguar XF which is the best although enjoyed others at the various times of my life.

Classic /silly cars - Best was TVR Griffith as it was more more practical than the Marcos. it was also silly fast and had a fantastic stereo in it.

TVR.jpg

First car will always be special as it was independence and a fantastic present from my parents.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Looking at the first picture reminded me of the time I fitted a smaller sporty steering wheel to my Cortina.
I huffed and puffed trying to pull the one off in your photo.
All of sudden it came loose and smashed my face in :eek:

Anyone who's had a Cortina has done both of those things!

Steve_PPP

Oct 24, 2017
Burgess Hill
Has to be my trusty scooby, purchased in 2007 and still have her today.... although its been a weekend/toy car for the last 9 years! Me enjoying the Nurburgring...

2013_3.jpg

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
My 2004 Mini Cooper S. It was the last car I owned before I moved to Canada. Such a fun car to drive. It had a decent amount of power, the supercharger made a great noise and the grip when you threw it around a bend was fantastic.

It was blue and white of course :thumbsup:

017.JPG

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I decided to buy my mid life crisis car a few years back. I had always wanted an e-Type, but having looked at a few and test driven a couple, it really wasn't practical for the mileage I wanted to do. Mrs Wz was really pleased that I had 'seen sense' until I came back with this. Far more practical :wink:

3small.jpg

Still have it, but only really use it in the summer these days

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Got a 17 year old S Class as a weekend toy.

Absolutely love it but my favourite has to be the 205GTI I had in the early 90s. Went like greased shit and had an amazing red carpet.

Totally impractical and cost a fortune, but the girls loved it.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Tale of two really..

Someone asked me to look at their brothers fiesta (used to be handy with spanners) as it wouldn't start.. Pitched up, and fairly quickly knew the leads were the in the wrong sequence. In the right order, it started on the button, so quickly turned it off, put leads back in random order, and (snydy i know..) offered him £150 (back in early 90's) - Bagged myself a decent Mk1 XR2, and loved it for years.

Eventually the x-flow engine went, so spent an absolute fortune buying and fitting a XR2i engine, RS Turbo 5 speed gearbox (Slip Diff) - Loads of work to cut out and strengthen inner arches for the longer 5th gear, new wiring loom and 3 sets of drive shafts as the engine was too powerful for them etc. It became a complete beast with torque steer but good fun till it rusted out.

XR2.jpg

MK3 1600 Cortina - Auto box had gone, but a Capri sport had recently crashed over Telscombe Tye, so a mate and i rolled it over, and liberated the gearbox, pedal box etc and fitted it to the Mk3 - Huzzah..!
The a 'mate' had a crash in it, and gave me his Avenger estate as recompense.. Turns out he didnt have a crash in it; he just sold it.. i still get teary..

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
New Fiesta XR2 I bought when I lived in Jersey (max speed limit 40mph) in the heady days of being 21 and paying almost no income tax, accommodation charges and being able to buy tax-free cheap cars.........loved bringing it back to the UK on the boat and giving it a proper blast.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
When I was serving in the army in Germany (1982) I bought one of these:

triumph-tr7.jpg

We could buy cars tax and duty free then so it cost me about £4200.

I know it was only powered by an elastic band but it looked really cool with the roof down. I believe it was originally designed for the US market where the maximum speed was 55mph at the time?
The stated top speed was given at 117mph, so I tried it out on the Paderborn bypass - and yes it made it! Albeit with everything shaking itself to bits, happy days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here