Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] The New Brighton Station taxi rank

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Some more progressive countries realised quite early that the car would eventually bring with it issues that couldn't be resolved with simply expanding roads and parking. The Dutch half way through the 70s projected the growth to it's natural conclusion and started it's transformation projects fairly early so that culturally they are more accepting of transformations they have made to city centres, so that economically they see benefits in retail and productivity through ease of commuting. It is not unusual for Northern European cities to have 50% of commutes done by bike, and over 80% done by either public transport, bike or walking.

Brighton centre could be transformed into a great European style pizza and avenues stretching from the station to the sea front, chairs and tables spilling out around a pedestrianised Clock Tower and Churchill Square. Retail would be boasted and you could start to have markets and other offerings that online shopping simply cannot offer. Can the mentality of 'where will I park my car' be transformed?

Cars driving in and through the North Laine's says it all.

There's hardly enough room for pedestrians and yet everybody is supposed to make room for one person in a tonne of metal polluting the air.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Cars driving in and through the North Laine's says it all.

There's hardly enough room for pedestrians and yet everybody is supposed to make room for one person in a tonne of metal polluting the air.

Utterly ridiculous. Should be resident vehicles only with restricted designated access routes for them alone, single carriageway where possible with shared surfaces with cobbles rather than raised curbs.

Brighton has this wonderful heritage, and yet you've got the bit of car free piazza in front of the Theatre Royal, then through The Lanes themselves, and that is about it. It is ludicrous that Trafalgar Road, Gloucester Road, North Road, North Street have so much traffic down them. :mad::shrug:

On a busy day actually walking from Churchill Square to North Street is a nightmare with pinch points barely 3 across.

A city with no vision. Too many stuck in a mindset of 'not enough parking'. There's too much bloody parking because there are too many cars and there is only going to be more unless we sort out our thinking!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Some more progressive countries realised quite early that the car would eventually bring with it issues that couldn't be resolved with simply expanding roads and parking. The Dutch half way through the 70s projected the growth to it's natural conclusion and started it's transformation projects fairly early so that culturally they are more accepting of transformations they have made to city centres, so that economically they see benefits in retail and productivity through ease of commuting. It is not unusual for Northern European cities to have 50% of commutes done by bike, and over 80% done by either public transport, bike or walking.

Brighton centre could be transformed into a great European style pizza and avenues stretching from the station to the sea front, chairs and tables spilling out around a pedestrianised Clock Tower and Churchill Square. Retail would be boasted and you could start to have markets and other offerings that online shopping simply cannot offer. Can the mentality of 'where will I park my car' be transformed?

Pedestrianisation of the route from Brighton Station to the sea front would be the most wonderful thing for our city. There would be huge challenges, not least in re-routing buses to the station and parking to Churchill Square, but it could lead to the total transformation of our city centre

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
A city with no vision. Too many stuck in a mindset of 'not enough parking'. There's too much bloody parking because there are too many cars and there is only going to be more unless we sort out our thinking!

The tide does seem to be turning tho, albeit slowly. The Valley Gardens scheme is a tremendous start and giving over the front of the station to pedestrians can only be a good thing also. Once people start to see the benefits of a cleaner less car-centric town, the more clamour there will be for more of the same. Who knows, having kicked the private car out of town maybe one day we'll even be able to do the same to buses, replaced largely by a smart modern tram system. Even Croydon managed to do that FFS.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Who knows, having kicked the private car out of town maybe one day we'll even be able to do the same to buses, replaced largely by a smart modern tram system. Even Croydon managed to do that FFS.

They're lovely and warm, as well:-

maxresdefault.jpg

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Utterly ridiculous. Should be resident vehicles only with restricted designated access routes for them alone, single carriageway where possible with shared surfaces with cobbles rather than raised curbs.

Brighton has this wonderful heritage, and yet you've got the bit of car free piazza in front of the Theatre Royal, then through The Lanes themselves, and that is about it. It is ludicrous that Trafalgar Road, Gloucester Road, North Road, North Street have so much traffic down them. :mad::shrug:

On a busy day actually walking from Churchill Square to North Street is a nightmare with pinch points barely 3 across.

New Road you mean. The only bit in the centre of town, where I can say to my kids, OK, you can run around a bit here. Then a taxi comes down the middle of it. No justification for this or any "shared space" and a testament to the power of the car lobby.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Pedestrianisation of the route from Brighton Station to the sea front would be the most wonderful thing for our city. There would be huge challenges, not least in re-routing buses to the station and parking to Churchill Square, but it could lead to the total transformation of our city centre

Bus routes are part of the problem too. Why do so many routes go up North St? With a bit of imagination, things could be changed; for example, the 5, 5A and 5B routes all go from Patcham/Hollingbury to Hangleton via London Rd and Churchill Sq. Why doesn't one of the routes go up Mill Hill and then Dyke Rd/OSR instead? Or the 7 could go along London Rd and up New England Rd to the Dials. A bit more spread across the place would really improve matters

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I'm off to Antwerp soon and will be driving as it's cheaper than train (plus can fill up for Xmas!). I've had to fill in a form to get permission to drive in to the town centre in my diesel car and it seems that from next year most cars are banned.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
What has this new rank done to the dropping off area where you could wait for 20 minutes.

Pretty much removed it. Just a handful of 20 min spaces on the car park side of the turning area which seems to be full of Uber drivers. So basically passenger pick up and drop off has gone during busy times. Clearly judging by the Gridlock caused by 40 to 50 plus taxis waiting in official and unofficial taxi marked spaces all around New England area there are more taxis than there is business for them. Basically all they have achieved is to move the problem from the front of the station to the back.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Pretty much removed it. Just a handful of 20 min spaces on the car park side of the turning area which seems to be full of Uber drivers. So basically passenger pick up and drop off has gone during busy times. Clearly judging by the Gridlock caused by 40 to 50 plus taxis waiting in official and unofficial taxi marked spaces all around New England area there are more taxis than there is business for them. Basically all they have achieved is to move the problem from the front of the station to the back.
Out of sight ...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1190850577325907968[/tweet]

[tweet]1194701951813984259[/tweet]

Last edited:

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
If the central part of Brighton was made pedestrian only I would even forgo cycling in the whole west street, north street, queens road,lanes, north laine area (even though I dont think it could be done legally re a cycling ban). It would be an amazing transformation and boost to the town. Taxi drivers dont like change to the pick at the front because for now customers dont know where to go and they dont get to charge for the 5-10 minute traffic jam right after the pickup. They dont give a shit if the customers get wet or not.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
If the central part of Brighton was made pedestrian only I would even forgo cycling in the whole west street, north street, queens road,lanes, north laine area (even though I dont think it could be done legally re a cycling ban). It would be an amazing transformation and boost to the town. Taxi drivers dont like change to the pick at the front because for now customers dont know where to go and they dont get to charge for the 5-10 minute traffic jam right after the pickup. They dont give a shit if the customers get wet or not.
How would shops get deliveries?

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton

They can deliver outside of busy times not at 8:30 which seems to be their preferred time and not allowed to drive onto the pavement destroying it see North street as evidence of this. And when I say vehicles making deliveries I actually mean making deliveries not looking suspiciously like a car driving through.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

It's a fair question. Every delivery driver i've seen have some sort of trolley or barrow type thing for the last stage of the delivery.

There would have to be some designated delivery stop off sites just outside the and deliveries would take longer and be less efficient, (and of course the price increase would ultimately get passed on)

A price worth paying though. Other cities manage it

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Brighton is a wreck of a place as far as transportation is concerned.

diesel taxis should just be banned, horrible things. electric, superclean petrol hybrid or bikes/scooters, there's no need for diesel in towns. its only more efficient for motorway cruising anyway, and stinky nasty stuff at best.

the buses all need sorting out as well . . . . I'm with Stat Brother, T&C planning and particuarly transport is a shockingly bad, my background is engineering and logistics, it infuriates me how things are made worse by progress!

I agree with this. Whilst I support public transport it’s a total mess in Brighton with the buses in the centre of the city. Brighton is perfectly designed for a tram system; this should be the way forward.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I agree with this. Whilst I support public transport it’s a total mess in Brighton with the buses in the centre of the city. Brighton is perfectly designed for a tram system; this should be the way forward.

Agree. The amount of buses that clog up Churchill Square area down through North Street is ridiculous, really. Air quality around there must be bloody awful

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here