Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] HCGS for boys. History of. the School.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
Marvellous memories - all my recollections are of Mick Aitken, Neil Shepherd and Geoff Garland. Also got whacked by Williamson, who told me in my careers interview that my ideas weren't realistic. Happily proved him totally wrong. Can't remember the name of the rather ineffective music teacher, who never actually taught any music that I can recall, and spent pretty much every lesson covering sex education matters. Bill Lawrence was the king though - "it's with an apostrophe means it is" repeat after me........
Remember all those. Then there was skull the biology teacher. Gave one of our class a good hiding for throwing a pen across the classroom. Excused himself by saying the perpetrator would be throwing scalpels next.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
Add me to the list of the Tabby beatings. I had the audacity of stopping at his dinner table to talk to a mate. I was a skinhead in those days and he balled me out to a silent dining hall and called me a gutter snipe.

Anyone remember the scandal around Dickie Henderson?
Remember that scandal. I believe he was acquitted.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

That's correct, I caught that direct train from Hassocks and back every day till leaving in 1962. A few days after I started at the school (early November 1959) I got a bollocking from a prefect for leaning out the window. He told me that a someone had been killed a couple of weeks earlier leaning out off the window just as the train was going into Clayton tunnel.

I never did find out if this was true or whether he was just winding me up. You know what prefects were like!
This actually happened just a few months ago, although I can't remember where. A girl or young woman lost her life when her head struck the branch of an overgrown tree.

100 words of 14 letters ...

He scared everyone in my class into passing maths O Level. Even without the gun.
I've no idea what happened but this reminds me of that American film when a new yob student ( a Dutch immigrant?) wore down a teacher and finally broke him after killing animals kept in the school (I think). I remember his colleague subsequently bursting into his classroom to find him teaching and getting answers from the now ultra-attentive class by pointing a loaded gun at them. "What the hell do you think you're doing?" he asked. "I'm teaching, for the first time in my career I'm actually teaching!"

Last edited:

NickPattenden

Oct 12, 2023
That's correct, I caught that direct train from Hassocks and back every day till leaving in 1962. A few days after I started at the school (early November 1959) I got a bollocking from a prefect for leaning out the window. He told me that a someone had been killed a couple of weeks earlier leaning out off the window just as the train was going into Clayton tunnel.

I never did find out if this was true or whether he was just winding me up. You know what prefects were like!
That really did happen during my time at the school! I was told about it by a few of the train boys who were in the compartment with the unfortunate victim.

NickPattenden

Oct 12, 2023
Nowhere in all these threads have I read anything about the Woodwork teacher Harry Barker. He was one of a kind. I spent 4 fruitless years trying to make a Mortise and Tenon joint. Whenever I would make one and offer it for inspection, Harry would glance at it, throw it backwards over his shoulder into the waste bin and tell me to start again. Any infractions would trigger a punishment which was to run around the school field a certain number of times, depending on the severity of the infraction. At times Harry would gather the whole class around him and tell us how soft we had it, and how his generation were all buried in France due to the 1st World War.
By the way, I too was caned by Tabby along with several others for marching up the stairs in unison after the whole school was called together for a warning about some behavior that was unacceptable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here