Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Defending Corners

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I do think we miss Shane and Glenn at corners and look much more vulnerable without them. As well as the first goal conceded Saturday, other Everton corners looked dangerous. Also, although I like the idea of leaving Connolly up the pitch, if the oppos fake or work a short corner routine, we can be short of numbers in the box.

Perhaps it's just a price we have to pay for Potterball.

Views?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I do think we miss Shane and Glenn at corners and look much more vulnerable without them. As well as the first goal conceded Saturday, other Everton corners looked dangerous. Also, although I like the idea of leaving Connolly up the pitch, if the oppos fake or work a short corner routine, we can be short of numbers in the box.

Not sure why - or even if - we look more vulnerable. Even without Duffy, we're not exactly midgets at the back; should be competitive in the air.

And leaving Connolly upfield - yes, yes, yes all the way! Keeps two of their defenders out of our penalty area. I was a great fan of Hughton, but his insistence that no-one be left upfield was the one thing that always baffled and annoyed me. TBH. I think the likes of Knocky scampering around in the penalty area was more likely to get in the way of defenders rather than helping them out!

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
What I would like to see sorted out is this short goal kick routine, everyone can see we cant do it and we nearely give the ball away every time we try it.

Shhh, it's a ruse to draw everyone in until we unleash the full tactical might against Palace.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Not sure why - or even if - we look more vulnerable. Even without Duffy, we're not exactly midgets at the back; should be competitive in the air.

And leaving Connolly upfield - yes, yes, yes all the way! Keeps two of their defenders out of our penalty area. I was a great fan of Hughton, but his insistence that no-one be left upfield was the one thing that always baffled and annoyed me. TBH. I think the likes of Knocky scampering around in the penalty area was more likely to get in the way of defenders rather than helping them out!

Apart from that time he cleared one off the line away at Stoke. :wink:

But agreed, much prefer a player left up for a quick counter.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I think Duffy is the key man for this. TBH if there was an asteroid on it's way I'd back sending him into space to head it away.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld

Views?

Wasn’t that the first goal we’ve conceded from a set piece all season? I think we’ve looked pretty solid so far

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX

Views?

Spot on, we certainly miss Duffy's aerial ability at set pieces.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Views?

Unlucky on Saturday, glanced off Richarlison and on to Webster's head. Don't think we look much more vulnerable this season although we do miss Duffy in the air - he's immense.

What I would like to see sorted out is this short goal kick routine, everyone can see we cant do it and we nearely give the ball away every time we try it.

...but we haven't given it away though. It's how we play now - play out from the back. Look at the number of times it's drawn a press from the opposition, leaving Stephens or Propper free to take a pass in the middle and set things up from there, as opposed to a hopeful/misguided hoof upfield..........

kjgood

Could be wrong but didnt we give a goal away the other week directly from this routine?

Unlucky on Saturday, glanced off Richarlison and on to Webster's head. Don't think we look much more vulnerable this season although we do miss Duffy in the air - he's immense.

...but we haven't given it away though. It's how we play now - play out from the back. Look at the number of times it's drawn a press from the opposition, leaving Stephens or Propper free to take a pass in the middle and set things up from there, as opposed to a hopeful/misguided hoof upfield..........

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Another corner stat. When was the last time we scored 3 times without forcing a single corner in the whole game? I'd suggest never.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Stolen from Paddy Power.

Actually I think you'll find it was nicked from someone I work with who obviously nicked it from Paddy Power.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My view is that we are likely to concede more goals but we are likely to score more.

The long and short is that I don’t now automatically accept that we have lost or drawn a game once we concede a goal, and by Christ that is a good feeling after thinking we weren’t going to win the game every time we conceded over the last couple of years.

It’s gonna be a roller coaster and as I keep saying I think we’ll be in the mix for relegation all season, but hey, it’s fun again :thumbsup:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

This. Its bloody nervy as fans but if we can bypass the front of the other team with some Potterball, then we can run at their defence much faster.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
My view is that we are likely to concede more goals but we are likely to score more.

The long and short is that I don’t now automatically accept that we have lost or drawn a game once we concede a goal, and by Christ that is a good feeling after thinking we weren’t going to win the game every time we conceded over the last couple of years.

It’s gonna be a roller coaster and as I keep saying I think we’ll be in the mix for relegation all season, but hey, it’s fun again :thumbsup:

This. Even going from 1 up to 2-1 down on Sat, I thought we could get a draw. Couldn't see the win until the Trossard came on.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Possibly, although I think it'll pay off more times that it doesn't and we'll be OK. Already struggling to see how we're going to be below Watford, Saints, Newcastle and Norwich at least - and we'll continue to improve. I absolutely loved seeing 5 players in their box, at 2-2, on 94 minutes having been 2-1 down. No 'settling for a point' likely under Potter.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Possibly, although I think it'll pay off more times that it doesn't and we'll be OK. Already struggling to see how we're going to be below Watford, Saints, Newcastle and Norwich at least - and we'll continue to improve. I absolutely loved seeing 5 players in their box, at 2-2, on 94 minutes having been 2-1 down. No 'settling for a point' likely under Potter.

Watch us lose to Norwich on Saturday :wink:

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

We can't do it? Many opportunities have opened up for us because of our persistence in playing it out from a GK.

Yes it's nervy at times, but we have the players to do it.

Problem arises when we have players like Duffy and Bong in the team who have their strengths, but possession football is not one of them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here