Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Webster Fan Club

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Has Montoya became the latest which hunt player. How can Richarlason, a central striker, have been his man when Webster a CB jumoed with him for the cross but was out jumped or out muscled.

I have defended him for a few games now but his decision making and execution on passes was appalling yesterday. Few players had great games as Everton played much like us and gave us no time on the ball whilst using the long ball very effectively. Potter took him off for a reason. I am not a hater but he was a weak link yesterday.

Sometimes you also have to give credit to the opposition, Everton were as good as any team I’ve seen at the Amex this season, they disrupted our passing game and were the better team for most of the game, whatever the stats say..imo

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Which begs the question why was Webster, who has shown to be poor in the air, marking Keane who is known to be good at set pieces.

[tweet]1156210336514682880[/tweet]

Screenshot 2019-10-27 at 3.28.26 PM.png

Against Newcastle "Webster was a monster in the air, winning 10 aerial duels throughout the game against a physical Newcastle side – more than double that of any other player on the pitch." https://punditarena.com/features/oisinmcqueirns2758/shane-duffy-brighton-1/

???

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Which begs the question why was Webster, who has shown to be poor in the air, marking Keane who is known to be good at set pieces.

One you would have to ask Potter about but I don’t recall seeing Keane winning anything at set plays so he didn’t do a bad job in that respect. More of why was Montoya someone who clearly is a fair bit shorter and defiantly not as athletic as Richarlison left with him.

The annoying thing is that Richarlison is not even very big, just a dogged little shit

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I have defended him for a few games now but his decision making and execution on passes was appalling yesterday. Few players had great games as Everton played much like us and gave us no time on the ball whilst using the long ball very effectively. Potter took him off for a reason. I am not a hater but he was a weak link yesterday.

Sometimes you also have to give credit to the opposition, Everton were as good as any team I’ve seen at the Amex this season, they disrupted our passing game and were the better team for most of the game, whatever the stats say..imo

Started the season well. Dipped a bit but was decent v spurs and villa. Yesterday was worst seen him in a while. He lost Richarlison for the goal and decision making and passing was poor. RB or RWB is a place I would love an upgrade in due course

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
Webster looks mostly decent but I was a bit surprised and disappointed by the ease that Calvert-Lewin simply spun between the two centre backs and Webster just jogged after him for Everton's second goal yesterday.

stingray

Jan 23, 2018
Webster looks mostly decent but I was a bit surprised and disappointed by the ease that Calvert-Lewin simply spun between the two centre backs and Webster just jogged after him for Everton's second goal yesterday.

Mostly poor for me yesterday, and keeps dozing off or making silly errors when it matters. needs to up his game considerably.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have just watched it again a few times on BBC news and cannot see how Montoya was ever considered to be marking Richarlason. Could somebody provide a conclusive link please?

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
After watching the extended highlights of Saturday, Webster leaves a lot to be desired defensively.

His marauding runs do not make up for or excuse him from poor defending.

More to come in that department I hope, otherwise still firmly in the Duffy fan club.

ifightbears

Jul 19, 2010
Cornwall
Enqja65XMAQOIU1.jpeg

Along with with ball carrying skills you can see why they persist with him even on his 'weaker' left side.

You wonder if the plan is have Matt Clarke as the left footed left sided defender in the future with White in the middle and Webster on the right. This is 3 years in the future when Dunk, Veltman and Burn would possibly be considered 'old'. Roberts & Ostigard as backups pushing close for first team like Burn & Veltman are now.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
https://www.footballcritic.com/prem...s/defenders/errors/possesion-lost-p90/2/41756

Webster is the 2nd worst defender in the PL (min 500 mins played) in terms of losing possession (14.4 times per 90 mins).

He looks lost at left CB. Invariably out on the left touchline having to play off his weaker foot. I think this is why he tries to bring the ball out more, but he seems to stride confidently past 1 or 2 players and the lose the ball. I also thought he got too much underneath the crossfield pass that led to the pen last night and couldn't recover.

I have been a fan of his in the centre but I would strongly prefer BDB at LCB.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
He looked incredibly ropey last night, when his position was crying out for someone with the better ball skills offered by White (and even Burn). End this White in midfield nonsense, drop him back and move Webster to the bench, it can't just be Maupay and Ryan who pay the price for poor performances.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Webster has been poor the last 2 games on the left side of 3 centre backs. Dan burn in for him imo

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Bag o shite last night. Ball playing centre back my arse. I lost count of the number of times he tried to bring it out of defence only to lose possession with a heavy touch, slipping on the turf or tripping over his own feet. Put White in defence where he ought to be.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He looked incredibly ropey last night, when his position was crying out for someone with the better ball skills offered by White (and even Burn). End this White in midfield nonsense, drop him back and move Webster to the bench, it can't just be Maupay and Ryan who pay the price for poor performances.

Well, I was the OP on this thread, and got to say can't disagree with what you're saying, however I thought all our centre halves on the pitch looked ropey last night to be fair. Dunk made several mistakes, as did Veltman. White looked a little lost, which is why Bissouma stood out so much as he was having to snuff out from lots of positions.

Southampton got their tactics right by overloading a particular side of the pitch. It meant a CB got pulled out, and had the wingback as cover, but other than that, there was a hole left. In a 4, you have your wide midfielder and fullback, plus a CB coming across to plug the game - that didn't really happen and we looked a bit of a mess.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
https://www.footballcritic.com/prem...s/defenders/errors/possesion-lost-p90/2/41756

Webster is the 2nd worst defender in the PL (min 500 mins played) in terms of losing possession (14.4 times per 90 mins).

He looks lost at left CB. Invariably out on the left touchline having to play off his weaker foot. I think this is why he tries to bring the ball out more, but he seems to stride confidently past 1 or 2 players and the lose the ball. I also thought he got too much underneath the crossfield pass that led to the pen last night and couldn't recover.

I have been a fan of his in the centre but I would strongly prefer BDB at LCB.

He is doing fine, just needs to be a bit more careful with his passing when he breaks the lines, bringing the ball out of defence.

Considering the media love for Ben White, Webster is holding his own by comparison, according to stats from infogol.net

Total passes
Webster 690
White 534

Pass Accuracy
Webster 80%
White 84%

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here