Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Still keeping the faith with Potter?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I am enjoying the football and think it has potential. We are certainly not at the point where we can be complaining about losing 2-1 away at Spurs.

We are about where I expected this season. As mentioned the team needs some work for Potter's vision to be successful. Two more transfer windows will give us a better indication of where we are at.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Well watching Bournemouth put 5 past us last season wasn't entertaining. Watching us lose 2-1 to Tottenham today was.

Potter, if he can be accused of anything, could be accused of trying to get the team to play beyond its means. That's raising the bar.

Lol both were crap, don’t have to play the juvenile Hughton v Potter game to realise that

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Is it really ‘more entertaining’ when there’s the same air of inevitability we’ll get nothing? It’s starting to get a bit predictable and won’t be long before we get labelled ‘plucky’

Like the inevitable 3 points at Arsenal ? Like the 5 players attacking the Everton box at 2-2 on 94 mins ? It’s massively more entertaining to me - today was a good example of that. Last season at Spurs was the very definition of inevitability IMO - all behind the ball, Alamo for as long as we could, hoofing it to no-one, then eventually conceding a goal we had no chance of matching.

I’ll be happy with 17th this season, knowing it’ll take at least 2 seasons and maybe 4 transfer windows (or a few U23 step-ups) to start fully delivering Project Potter. We’re still in the very early stages.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I am sure that I read at the start of the season that he wasn't going to be involved in coaching but more on the link between players and management in a sort of liaison role.

So at no point this season you’ve read anything (official, press, twitter, on here etc) that suggests he might actually be coaching, completed his badges or seen him on the pitch organising drills in virtually every pre-match warm up, but think he takes the pizza order for the player’s journey home on the bus ? Seriously?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I’m a big fan of GP and I see no reason to change my mind. However, it’s clear he needs two or three more players that can carry out his instructions. The way I see it is that we currently have two big problems:

1) We are trying to play like a Guardiola team, which is fantastic. However, for me the key players in this are the midfielders (or sometimes full-backs) who can either carry or pass the ball forwards quickly and accurately once the press is beaten. Our defenders are good enough on the ball to beat the press, but once they do it so frequently leads to Stephens, Gross or Mooy dithering, taking an extra touch or simply not moving the ball fast enough. We need someone faster in both body and mind in the middle.

2) Lack of options/quality in the front three. Maupay has been excellent, Connolly has done OK and Trossard has shown glimpses. But it’s not enough. We need to be more clinical and we need to be able to change games. Having Murray and Jahanbaksh as first changes is effectively tying one hand before GP’s back before we even start.

For me, we need a technically excellent central midfielder and a quick wide attacker to boost the ranks for the second half of the season. Do that and Graham’s sexy football that has been so impressively implemented will yield more points.

Interestingly, I don’t see our defence as a huge problem like many do. Sure, we are a bit looser than the last two seasons but that’s inevitable with the change in style. We’ve conceded fewer or the same number of goals as 10 other teams. But we’ve only scored more than six others, which considering our attacking approach shows me the problem is converting performance into goals.

Excellent post.

I’ve been banging on for ages to much criticism on here that we need a Stephens upgrade. Probably the most important position in the way we now play and he’s just not good enough defensively or going forward.

He’s hugely over rated on here as the last 2 games have shown, he needs to be dropped for the Bournemouth game. Mooy, Propper and Alzate are really talented midfielders ideally suited to play the Potter way but they need that better, more dynamic pivot behind them.

We should be aiming to sign that replacement along with another attacker and an upgrade on Montoya. Hopefully Bernardo’s return will solve the left back issue.

Those upgrades and a little more luck and we’re going places.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Like the inevitable 3 points at Arsenal ? Like the 5 players attacking the Everton box at 2-2 on 94 mins ? It’s massively more entertaining to me - today was a good example of that. Last season at Spurs was the very definition of inevitability IMO - all behind the ball, Alamo for as long as we could, hoofing it to no-one, then eventually conceding a goal we had no chance of matching.

I’ll be happy with 17th this season, knowing it’ll take at least 2 seasons and maybe 4 transfer windows (or a few U23 step-ups) to start fully delivering Project Potter. We’re still in the very early stages.

Is the correct answer

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Excellent post.

I’ve been banging on for ages to much criticism on here that we need a Stephens upgrade. Probably the most important position in the way we now play and he’s just not good enough defensively or going forward.

He’s hugely over rated on here as the last 2 games have shown, he needs to be dropped for the Bournemouth game. Mooy, Propper and Alzate are really talented midfielders ideally suited to play the Potter way but they need that better, more dynamic pivot behind them.

We should be aiming to sign that replacement along with another attacker and an upgrade on Montoya. Hopefully Bernardo’s return will solve the left back issue.

Those upgrades and a little more luck and we’re going places.

I’m with you on this.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
For me yes. But he does have a blind spot with Webster and its ****ing annoying picking a defender that cant actually defend. Its emporers new clothes with him. Couple of runs out of defence with the ball and people have him as Der Kaiser. He isnt. He cant tackle, he cannot defensively head the ball and is always out of position. Ball playing centre back my Japs eye amd at least three or four mistakes a game.

Dropping him would be a start. But he seems to be a teachers pet.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The answer to the question is when we drop Webster then the silly mistakes and sloppy goals will stop.

Droping Webster would help defensively.

For me yes. But he does have a blind spot with Webster and its ****ing annoying picking a defender that cant actually defend. Its emporers new clothes with him. Couple of runs out of defence with the ball and people have him as Der Kaiser. He isnt. He cant tackle, he cannot defensively head the ball and is always out of position. Ball playing centre back my Japs eye amd at least three or four mistakes a game.

Dropping him would be a start. But he seems to be a teachers pet.

You think Webster should be dropped? Have I got this right? :lolol:

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
I am enjoying the football and think it has potential. We are certainly not at the point where we can be complaining about losing 2-1 away at Spurs.

We are about where I expected this season. As mentioned the team needs some work for Potter's vision to be successful. Two more transfer windows will give us a better indication of where we are at.

I wish I could be confident that there will be an influx of quality first team players this January

This will be the first window Potters man in recruitment has a chance to show us what players we can expect to see come to the club This does assume he really has a say and the Club are prepared to financially back Potter and his team. It will be an interesting window as we know how TB and PB feel about January transfer windows

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I wish I could be confident that there will be an influx of quality first team players this January

This will be the first window Potters man in recruitment has a chance to show us what players we can expect to see come to the club This does assume he really has a say and the Club are prepared to financially back Potter and his team. It will be an interesting window as we know how TB and PB feel about January transfer windows
I'll not confident of our expecting and influx of quality. I am hoping for a striker.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
I'll not confident of our expecting and influx of quality. I am hoping for a striker.

Reasonable expectations in my view considering we shot two out the door no sooner the season had started, leaving Potter with limited firepower

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
We are stuck with him whether we like it or not. He has only just signed a new improved deal so Bloom needs to back him in Jan with funds.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Potter will take us back to the brink of non-league football if we stick with him. Big Sam only a phone call away. Please Tony! Do the honourable thing.

In all seriousness, even though we have less points now than at this stage last season(Everton home win), agree with those saying we are moving in the right direction with Potter in charge.

Recent performances against the likes of Arsenal and Spurs have been encouraging. Wolves at the Amex too. They're a very good side and we more than matched them, on the front foot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here