[Albion] Still keeping the faith with Potter?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Well well well... looks like Tony and co. Clearly still have faith in Mr. Potter that’s for sure [emoji106]

Makes sense to me, not many young progressive England managers around, we love the football philosophy, he’s tactically astute and flexible, and fits the model in terms of bringing the kids through.

I’ve long said if we go down I can see us sticking with GP to bring us back up.

That's what the majority of people on here were saying about Hughton this time last year...

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Still keeping?

I've never had any faith in Potter. You fancy his style but we MAY barely stay in the PL. Hope you feel good.

You honestly don’t see any improvements with our progressive football? Bringing through exciting talents like Alzate and Connolly? Being mid table and on course for safety?

What exactly do you expect? What realistically more can a Brighton manager do to impress you... be in the top 4?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
It feels like we are on an upwards trajectory with this guy at the helm. Already we have shown progress in the short time he has been here and let’s remember this alongside him learning in the league as well.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
It feels like we are on an upwards trajectory with this guy at the helm. Already we have shown progress in the short time he has been here and let’s remember this alongside him learning in the league as well.

I find it very amusing that some fans seriously expected him to come in, revolutionalise our style of play and instantly also propel us up the league. To me, he's surpassed my expectations as he's also shown amazing faith in youth players who have been two of our stand out players this season.

Looking forward to bissouma getting more game time and seeing how he fares in the new system.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I find it very amusing that some fans seriously expected him to come in, revolutionalise our style of play and instantly also propel us up the league. To me, he's surpassed my expectations as he's also shown amazing faith in youth players who have been two of our stand out players this season.

Looking forward to bissouma getting more game time and seeing how he fares in the new system.

Exactly which is why the 5 year commitment has been given and he clearly has a vision of how to get us to where Tony wants us to be. It will take a few seasons and transfer windows for him to really make his mark but if the first 6 months are anything to go by it is going to be a really enjoyable ride. Great to see someone prepared to let the great work of our academy start to show dividends as well. Players all seem hugely on board with it as well

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Lawro seems to be impressed with Potter:

Former Albion defender Mark Lawrenson has been very impressed by the side’s progress under Graham Potter so far this season and supported the club’s decision to give the head coach a new contract extension.

Lawrenson gave the Seagulls a respectable ‘seven out of ten’ with roughly a third of the season played so far, and commented on a wise decision to tie the former Swansea boss down to a new deal.

He said, “Where they are in the table is about right, and their performances have been good. If you were a school teacher marking the books a third of the way through the season, you’d give a seven out of 10 for Brighton.

“They are one of nine to 10 teams which will be in the bottom half of the table, and if you finish top of that, then Brighton could feasibly finish halfway up the league.

“This is in Potter’s first season too, and he’ll be learning every week. It’s important that you look after a good coach when you get one, and Brighton have done that in giving him a new contract.

“He’s part of a group of English coaches, alongside the likes of, [Steve] Bruce, [Chris] Wilder and Eddie Howe, that are all doing well. Other clubs may now do what Brighton have done and look at British managers in the top half of the Championship, and give them a chance in the Premier League.”

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/1505744/lawrenson-impressed-by-potters-progress

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Fail to win at Anfield, especially if the defence is porous, and some NSC’ers will call for his head.

Well I for one will be disappointed if this doesn’t happen, NSC meltdowns whenever we lose are de rigueur and the highlight of the week for some :wink:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Lawro seems to be impressed with Potter:

“They are one of nine to 10 teams which will be in the bottom half of the table, and if you finish top of that, then Brighton could feasibly finish halfway up the league.

Geez! Did he actually get paid for that dazzling piece of analysis? How long did it take him to work out all the complications of that? If we finish top of the bottom half we'll be half way up the league ......... no shit Sherlock, I'd never have believed that!

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I think now, and certainly if we don’t get the 3 points against Bournemouth all the bed wetters will be coming out slating the manager. No doubt the Hughton boys will pile on and tell us how wrong we were to change managers (again).

But I’m still keeping the faith in GP. We look a proper side now, even in defeat. And once we start taking our chances, we are going to be one hell of a team.

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
We need results rather than keep saying how great our football is!!

Too close to relegation zone for comfort as the year ends

Fingesr crossed for Bmouth

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
I think now, and certainly if we don’t get the 3 points against Bournemouth all the bed wetters will be coming out slating the manager. No doubt the Hughton boys will pile on and tell us how wrong we were to change managers (again).

But I’m still keeping the faith in GP. We look a proper side now, even in defeat. And once we start taking our chances, we are going to be one hell of a team.

Ignore them if they do. They know nothing.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green

I was happy when Hughton was dispatched but the table doesn’t lie, you say once we start taking our chances what makes u think we will ?
Make we don’t have enough quality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I wish Potter teams could achieve defensive shut outs.

There’s no shame in having a great defensive set up, and clean sheets.

It’s not as if we’re being served up Champagne attacking football, goals galore and wins, to compensate. We’re not.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
I wish Potter teams could achieve defensive shut outs.

There’s no shame in having a great defensive set up, and clean sheets.

It’s not as if we’re being served up Champagne attacking football, goals galore and wins, to compensate. We’re not.

It’s the one thing that does bug me this season . It wasn’t broken so why have we tinkered with it . Was the best thing about us these last two seasons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
We lost at Spurs last season too. But, from recollection, last season we had one shot on target in the entire match and probably no more than 25% possession. I know we still got the same outcome today in in terms of points - but I know the type and style of performance I prefer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports