Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] How does a Firestick work?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
From my experience the "free" streams the quality is very questionable especially when upscaling it to a big TV. They can also be a right royal pain in the arse to find using something like Kodi (not so much with web streams). For <£10 a month you can get a subscription to an IPTV provider and get everything. Can be a faff and if you use a major UK ISP then you'll probably need a VPN. They still aren't the most reliable but the ones I've used have pretty good support and when it works the quality is pretty good. But you suffer the same problems you do with any streaming service you can be up to a minute behind the live picture at times so no good if you are in play punting.

Yep, a mate of mine has IPTV and we worked out how far behind it was when we were discussing games on whatsapp and I was describing goals he hadn't seen yet :lol:

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Brilliant for us ex-pats. Running 2 Firesticks with 'downloader' - redbox - live tv and cinema HD loaded, plus a decent VPN for BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub etc. With 300 mbts internet not much causes a problem, except for some Arabic commentaries on Albion games:lol:

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015
Brilliant for us ex-pats. Running 2 Firesticks with 'downloader' - redbox - live tv and cinema HD loaded, plus a decent VPN for BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub etc. With 300 mbts internet not much causes a problem, except for some Arabic commentaries on Albion games:lol:

What VPN do you use if dont mind me asking? Im in Thailand and have never been able to get BBC iPlayer working through a VPN. Currently use Digibit which gets me through ITV Hub but not BBC.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Has anyone worked out a way to get SkyGo on one of these USB devices? Or do sky block that?
You get access to all Sky channels, Inc Sky Italia! through whichever sports/entertainment hub you go with.

I find Sky a bit of a handful during peak hours, but have got up at 1am and watched Packers matches in all their glory.

If a match is on Sky it'll also be on one of the 100+ other sports providers you have access too.

TBH I'm surprised we're allowed to openly discuss this, into it's second page.

Last edited:

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
VPN's

What VPN do you use if dont mind me asking? Im in Thailand and have never been able to get BBC iPlayer working through a VPN. Currently use Digibit which gets me through ITV Hub but not BBC.

Hi there....I use UK expat VPN. They guarantee BBC, ITV, My5, More 4 connections or your money refunded. £60 per year. You will find it on apps search on Firestick. However register with UK expat first to obtain your password, you can use it on up to 5 devices.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Yep, a mate of mine has IPTV and we worked out how far behind it was when we were discussing games on whatsapp and I was describing goals he hadn't seen yet :lol:

Had similar in the summer with the Ashes several times. Had calls with people who had it on in the office whilst I was at home in mine watching over IPTV. Conversation would go something like:

Colleague: Cricket is going well
Me: Yeah 57/2
C: 3
M: Oh really?
C: Warner just gone

I look up to my TV and sure enough next ball Warner is out.

The worst I've seen was the BT App. Was away for the UEFA cup final last year so got the Chelsea Arsenal game on my iPad and then casted it to the TV. I had a corners bet on so was following it on my phone on a bookmakers site. The TV was over 2 minutes behind.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Had similar in the summer with the Ashes several times. Had calls with people who had it on in the office whilst I was at home in mine watching over IPTV. Conversation would go something like:

Colleague: Cricket is going well
Me: Yeah 57/2
C: 3
M: Oh really?
C: Warner just gone

I look up to my TV and sure enough next ball Warner is out.

The worst I've seen was the BT App. Was away for the UEFA cup final last year so got the Chelsea Arsenal game on my iPad and then casted it to the TV. I had a corners bet on so was following it on my phone on a bookmakers site. The TV was over 2 minutes behind.
Clearly I now can't get to the punchline, but I'll go for it anyway.

We have 2, 50 inch TV, screens in the canteen at work.

The nearest tables are bar height.
During the W/C 1 fella is sat there, headphones, staring down at his lap.

My shift walks in behind him, I turn the football on.

About 30 people celebrate whatever goal it was that happened to be scored.
We watched the replays.
We saw kick off.

Only then did matey jump up and celebrate.
But to ice the cake he spun round in doing so, celebrating to the canteen, while the game was being played behind him.

Last edited:

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015
Hi there....I use UK expat VPN. They guarantee BBC, ITV, My5, More 4 connections or your money refunded. £60 per year. You will find it on apps search on Firestick. However register with UK expat first to obtain your password, you can use it on up to 5 devices.

Cheers bud will give it a spin!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My new 4k FireStick arrived earlier, replacing my 1st Gen version.

T'is mightily impressive, esp for £30, and thanks to a Youtube tutorial after less than 10 minutes it's now 'full stocked' for free sport.

I'll do movies and TV when I have time.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I'm bumping this thread for BG and anyone else. Took me 40 minutes to find it! Went through all Stat Brother's posts and the history didn't go back far enough. Managed to track it down by searching for Amazon Firestick 6 months and newer in the search function.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Bottom line is now tv is expensive and you only get sky sports.

If you want 3pm sat kick offs you need kodi or iptv. (One off payment more or less vpn)

I use iptv these days but if anyone can suggest a good kodi addon as a back up that would be great.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I use iptv these days but if anyone can suggest a good kodi addon as a back up that would be great.
Thanks for being the next poster to prove my point.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Come again?

I've been completely titsy about this due to repeatedly trying to help the great and the good on this subject, only for my help to be completely ignored.

Proved again now by you asking the one question on the very thread that has answered it at least 5 times already.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It also proves the search function is shit and that you were not prepared to help with finding this thread !
In his opening post BG references Firestick.

If he and you are to blooming stupid to write 'Firestick' in the box with search written in, and next to it, then that's on you not me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here