Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Neil Maupay - has he had the credit he deserves yet?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
See post #36

Ta. I think I do understand now.
I was thinking of his goal on Saturday (which, surely, was a 'free and easy header') whereas you were thinking of a different opportunity that you now concede was neither a free and easy header nor a howler of a miss.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
3 goals in 8 games is a very acceptable return for a player who is just finding his feet at this level. He's quick, alert and composed in the box, three totally different types of goals. Very much like the look of him, except for the hair, dunno what thats all about. From my perch in the WSU I kept mistaking him for Mooy.

I, too, kept on wondering who this other bald bloke was.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I'm quite surprised, I've checked this whole thread and can't see one mention of Sam Baldock... As I'm thinking there are distinct similarities, in style of play and appreciation (or lack of) for what they do.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Did anyone else notice that when Connolly shot, Maupay was following in like he meant it, and vice versa.

Haven't seen that from a Brighton strike partnership in years and it will get us goals this season

Aye, and that alone should encourage the rest of our players to shoot more often knowing these two are zooming around looking to pounce.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I like him. I think he suits the current style of football, which is positive. He’d be absolutely wasted if managed by a more agricultural manager however.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
He is doing well and is clearly a Premier League level striker but I actually think Potter optimally wants a stronger player as his no 9, as that has always been his preferred choice earlier. In the long run I think Maupay will be converted to a "scoring winger" type of player - someone who makes runs behind the defense and cuts inside from the left. I think he has been good so far and will score about 10-15 goals which is all you could expect, but in the long run I think a different type of player will take his place.

And hopefully isn't made of glass and sticky tape

His history of injuries is close to empty so I doubt that will be a concern.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Talking of Maupay, do we have the definitive pronunciation? I have heard mo-pay, mo-pie, more-pay and more-pie. And I am guessing Warren goes with Moppy. But which one is it?

The first time I heard Warren pronounce it was during the Watford game. He pronounced it Mäenpää which is ironic really because when he actually used to try and say Mäenpää I think he pronounced it Moppy or something similar.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Looks a lot more effective with a similar player alongside him. More isolated when he is on his own as defenders can shut him down but the pace and movement of two small players puts doubt in their minds. If we could ever get Connolly, Maupay and Trossard in the same team, defenders could be having nightmares for weeks. Problem is that you also need supply for them to work so getting all 3 together plus Gross or Mooy might be a stretch. But not having to worry that we have strikers under 6ft is very nice.

Talking of Maupay, do we have the definitive pronunciation? I have heard mo-pay, mo-pie, more-pay and more-pie. And I am guessing Warren goes with Moppy. But which one is it?

It needs to happen - we must get Trossard, Connolly and Maupay in the same side

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Loved the fact that he did not celebrate scoring the penalty, but run to pick the ball up and returning to center spot, asking the ref how long was left. He knew we could go on and get another.

Who did he also have a go at when he ran back?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Loved the fact that he did not celebrate scoring the penalty, but run to pick the ball up and returning to center spot, asking the ref how long was left. He knew we could go on and get another.

Who did he also have a go at when he ran back?

Watch the video of him after the OG winner. Grabs the ball from Pickford and won't let him have it back. Ends up chucking it at him :lol:

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Neal Maupay is a very astute signing, his runs, energy and finishing ability make him ideal for us & Potterball. He has strength and good feet and is involved in link up play, surely he can only improve over the season. I think he is much better in a central 2 than wider in a 3. Anywhere near 15 goals would be a great season

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here