Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Loony labour vote to abolish private education

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Oh dear. KEEP on topic, this is NOT the brexit thread nor my political 'willy' is bigger than yours. The proposed and voted on manifesto policy is a non starter and will likely antagonise even more than it will appeal to. You Labour supporters are going to be humiliated when you come 3rd in the next GE.

Who is a Labour Supporter ?

You've swallowed the populist pill.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I really wouldn't worry. Nobody is going to abolish private schools. Firstly, I suspect it wouldn't be lawful and secondly it's just lip service to the loony left to lose even more votes by 'no compromise with the electorate'.

Modified a bit....

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm thinking the Lib Dems will do "quite well", with their single policy and whatever else they have nicked opportunistically off the Greens.

They will definitely pick up the "**** this" vote.

Honestly, you have a habitual liar in No 10 led by the UK version of Steve Bannon and Labour now promising to turn the playing fields of Eton into "a safe place" for debates about the teachings of Karl Marx and the role of bearded politicians in a post feminist world.

If you think it's fun now, imagine how any of this lot are gonna form a coalition.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
There are all sorts of imbalance that need sorting though and the charitable status needs abolishing.

It's the poor that require "benefits", not the wealthy.

As for the paying twice argument, well I pay all sorts of taxes "once" that goes to things I don't benefit from.

I have no problem with Private Health insurance or education, just staff it with people who haven't had their education massively subsided from the public purse.

If you want to "opt out", do it properly,

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I've not read past the first page of the thread as that was enough to annoy me. What pisses me off is the assumption that it's only rich people that use the private schools. My two sons went to private primary school and a good percentage of parents there had made financial decisions to be able to afford the fees - no holidays, little or no eating out, driving old bangers. Indeed the mother of one of my son's friends was a single mum who worked a modest job during the day and then evenings on the till at Asda to send her son there. The suggestion of Labour is nothing but the politics of envy ..... and hyprocracy.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
how would you know if children are falling behind? or if schools are letting standards fall? OFSTED is will just be replaced by different process, underslightly different managment with same staff. we had yr 2 SAT with no bother, bearly even mentioned. they are a "problem" where they may expose poor standards.

Poor standards, how simplistic, in my area there are schools where large numbers of disadvantaged pupils attend. Unfortunately disadvantaged often means under achievers too. Consequently in those schools the emphasise is very much on getting good SATS results to improve the school’s standing.

The pressure is immense on the staff and head teachers of these schools to prove that the results they achieve are not, because of people like you assuming, down to poor standards...

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It is a Conference resolution NOT “from Corbyn”...

However, the abolition of private schools - and the wider reduction in passing of privilege down through families (e.g. 100% inheritance tax over £50,000) - WILL be a very good thing when the country comes to its senses at some point. May well not be in our lifetime but I hope it will be some time...

Presumably we can look forward to capital controls as well ? Otherwise there will be an enormous capital outflow as people move their wealth abroad. The problem with these types of ideas is that it reminds people of why they shouldn’t vote Labour.

sahel

Jan 24, 2014
I've not read past the first page of the thread as that was enough to annoy me. What pisses me off is the assumption that it's only rich people that use the private schools. My two sons went to private primary school and a good percentage of parents there had made financial decisions to be able to afford the fees - no holidays, little or no eating out, driving old bangers. Indeed the mother of one of my son's friends was a single mum who worked a modest job during the day and then evenings on the till at Asda to send her son there. The suggestion of Labour is nothing but the politics of envy ..... and hyprocracy.

Finland decided to integrate private schools some 30 to 40 years ago and now has one of the best education systems in the world. Private education is ineffiicient and grossly unfiar becuase it promotes mediocre talent and reduces the life chances of the 93% who are state educated. The remaing 7% dominate every aspect of British society - the law, business, the arts, sport, politics etc etc. If you have children who are in the 93% why would you accept this gross distortion?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
"Redistribution of assets" really?

Lawyers up and down the country will be licking their lips.

As rubbish as the Tories have been, this utter shambles of a Labour Party really does exacerbate the problem, as without a strong opposition, Parliament as a whole is massively weakened. Currently we have a Government without the majority to Govern, and the rest of the House opposing a General Election, and scrambling to make policies that make them completely unelectable anyway.

I've never know the like of what we are seeing right now.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I’m not sure how I feel about this. Imagine you rock up to your local state comp and now find you have ***** like JRM and Boris in your class.

Perhaps they wouldn't have turned out the way they have if they had gone to a local state school?

sahel

Jan 24, 2014
"Redistribution of assets" really?

Lawyers up and down the country will be licking their lips.

As rubbish as the Tories have been, this utter shambles of a Labour Party really does exacerbate the problem, as without a strong opposition, Parliament as a whole is massively weakened. Currently we have a Government without the majority to Govern, and the rest of the House opposing a General Election, and scrambling to make policies that make them completely unelectable anyway.

I've never know the like of what we are seeing right now.

I agree with you that the Labour Party is a dreadful let down just when we need it to be strong and united. However, you have to ask yourself why a policy to " integrate" public schools or a polcy to make inheritance more fairly taxed is unpopualar. Common sense says most people should support both. Could it have something to do with the Mail, the Sun the Telegraph and the Express.? These ate not extteme policies

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Finland decided to integrate private schools some 30 to 40 years ago and now has one of the best education systems in the world. Private education is ineffiicient and grossly unfiar becuase it promotes mediocre talent and reduces the life chances of the 93% who are state educated. The remaing 7% dominate every aspect of British society - the law, business, the arts, sport, politics etc etc. If you have children who are in the 93% why would you accept this gross distortion?

My sons went to private school because my ex-wife worked there so our fees were greatly reduced. She left the state sector because it was run so badly and had so much pointless paperwork and tests. Even with reduced fees we went without stuff to afford them. My second son isn't the most acamedically gifted and would have struggled at his state secondary school had it not been for the solid foundation he got from the private sector - something the state sector struggles.to provide thanks to lack of money and stupid processes. I object of the idea that a government can prevent me spending MY money, hard earned and taxed, on what I want to spend it on. Besides, Labours idea is really to make the education of 600k kids worse rather then improving state education. Race to the bottom as some might say.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
"However, you have to ask yourself why a policy to " integrate" public schools or a polcy to make inheritance more fairly taxed is unpopualar. Common sense says most people should support both."

I don't think it would be supported. What's wrong with giving people a choice?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Aside from the moral/practical issues, this analysis brought up a couple of points.

"If private schools are going to be integrated into the state sector, it makes little sense to remove their charitable status, given the fact that they would regain charitable status once they become state run.

The other issue is the extent to which the policy actually dismantles privilege - outstanding state schools already tend to see house prices rise in their catchment areas, so these new proposals could see that form of wealth privilege intensify further.

That's all before you get into the legal thicket of redistributing assets and endowments."

zefarelly

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
My sons went to private school because my ex-wife worked there so our fees were greatly reduced. She left the state sector because it was run so badly and had so much pointless paperwork and tests. Even with reduced fees we went without stuff to afford them. My second son isn't the most acamedically gifted and would have struggled at his state secondary school had it not been for the solid foundation he got from the private sector - something the state sector struggles.to provide thanks to lack of money and stupid processes. I object of the idea that a government can prevent me spending MY money, hard earned and taxed, on what I want to spend it on. Besides, Labours idea is really to make the education of 600k kids worse rather then improving state education. Race to the bottom as some might say.

the whole country is a race to the bottom at the moment. . .I can't see it changing for a while yet.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The fact is the way private schools are propped up the tax system in the UK is state funded sponsorship of our class system. Does this happen elsewhere in the world?

It ridiculous the state funded primary school pays business rates and the private equivalent doesn't.

Labour's headline policy is radical and wouldn't happen. Its good we're having the conversation, things need to change...

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
It is a Conference resolution NOT “from Corbyn”...

However, the abolition of private schools - and the wider reduction in passing of privilege down through families (e.g. 100% inheritance tax over £50,000) - WILL be a very good thing when the country comes to its senses at some point. May well not be in our lifetime but I hope it will be some time...

Are you completely nuts?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here