Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Motd 31/8/2019

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
First game up on MOTD tonight - at least, Manchester City were. In terms of being discussed, Pep Guardiola said more about Brighton than the whole MOTD team put together. In fact, they're main point of interest about Brighton seemed to be when they were introducing the Southampton game ("Southampton, who gained their first win of the season at Brighton last week").

As far as the video editing, all we saw was wave after wave of Manchester City attacks, with 11 Brighton (or 10 at least) in our own half - could have been Hughton's set up. I can only recall two bits of footage of play in their half - one brief one where the Manchester City defender suffered that terrible injury - how worrying for Manchester City (I don't think they even showed the free kick we got for the foul) - and one where we did buzz around their penalty area and get a shot off. Now I know we were well beaten by the sheer class of Manchester city's attack, but I was listening to the match on BBC Radio 5 (a neutral station, not Albion commentary) and taking in summaries on SSN, and it seemed on there that we were doing a bit better than that. Not likely to win, OK, but taking the game to them, sharing possession almost equally, and posing some threat to their goal at times, especially in the first half.

That's not what we saw on the edited highlights on MOTD. Is it just me getting a bit paranoid about the MOTD coverage of us, or have they really got us on ignore wherever possible?

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I watched it too and while I pretty much agree with most of what you say I really couldn't give a toss one way or the other.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
First game up on MOTD tonight - at least, Manchester City were. In terms of being discussed, Pep Guardiola said more about Brighton than the whole MOTD team put together. In fact, they're main point of interest about Brighton seemed to be when they were introducing the Southampton game ("Southampton, who gained their first win of the season at Brighton last week").

As far as the video editing, all we saw was wave after wave of Manchester City attacks, with 11 Brighton (or 10 at least) in our own half - could have been Hughton's set up. I can only recall two bits of footage of play in their half - one brief one where the Manchester City defender suffered that terrible injury - how worrying for Manchester City (I don't think they even showed the free kick we got for the foul) - and one where we did buzz around their penalty area and get a shot off. Now I know we were well beaten by the sheer class of Manchester city's attack, but I was listening to the match on BBC Radio 5 (a neutral station, not Albion commentary) and taking in summaries on SSN, and it seemed on there that we were doing a bit better than that. Not likely to win, OK, but taking the game to them, sharing possession almost equally, and posing some threat to their goal at times, especially in the first half.

That's not what we saw on the edited highlights on MOTD. Is it just me getting a bit paranoid about the MOTD coverage of us, or have they really got us on ignore wherever possible?

Agree. Very predictable. However, they have to show the best chances in the short time available, and Man City created nearly all of them. It does give a false impression, though.

Am I the only who thought Laporte desrved the injury for clattering Webster? In the studio they were all 'we hope he's ok', instead of criticising the foul. They also suggested our player should have been taken out earlier in the move (Man City's normal tactic of committing 'small fouls' deep in the opposition half to break up attacks). So I guess that's to be encouraged then, in case one of your players gets an injury by having to make a worse challenge? Pretty gobsmacked by that part of the discussion, tbh.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
No need to worry too much, our home game against Burnley is nailed on to be shown last, and the main part of the coverage will be Dyche moaning.

The Optimist

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Am I the only who thought Laporte desrved the injury for clattering Webster? In the studio they were all 'we hope he's ok', instead of criticising the foul. They also suggested our player should have been taken out earlier in the move (Man City's normal tactic of committing 'small fouls' deep in the opposition half to break up attacks). So I guess that's to be encouraged then, in case one of your players gets an injury by having to make a worse challenge? Pretty gobsmacked by that part of the discussion, tbh.

Couldn’t agree more. People moan about diving but why is deliberately fouling to prevent a counterattack, especially early on when more likely to escape a booking, any better. At least with diving you aren’t going to injure someone else and luckily for us Laporte injured himself and not Webster.

DavidinSouthampton

Jan 3, 2012

No it's not you being paranoid.

My wife feels the same about the Saints. They have their favourites, mostly to do with being in the top two.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
I’ve just watched the Seagulls Player highlights.
From those, looks like we could have lost 8-0

PILTDOWN MAN

Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Agree. Very predictable. However, they have to show the best chances in the short time available, and Man City created nearly all of them. It does give a false impression, though.

That was outrageous. Suggesting Laporte had no choice but to hack down Webster due to him not being hacked down earlier. If it had been the other way round they’d be shouting for a policeman.

Wankers all of them especially jug eared runt.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green

Ive said it before , not worth watching I record the 30min highlight show sky put together on all prem games ,100 times better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boik

I think it was a fair representation of the match. City had a host of chances and we only had a few. We competed well and had good possession, but without creating a chance at the end of it it’s never going to make the time-limited highlights.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
I think people are looking for reasons to be offended here. When we beat Watford we got huge coverage including an interview between Linekar and Potter. We can’t have it both ways.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Absolutely disgraceful comments about challenge on Webster,am I alone in thinking that challenge could have been a career changer for Webster and a red card ,I have seen lesser fouls punished more.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London

I agree but then again it is always like that. From watching the highlights I got the impression that we only touched the ball occasionally but had 46% possession, 6 shots at goal, 2 on target. Apparently Pep hugged most of our team after the game and was complimentary about us taking the game to them.

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
Absolutely disgraceful comments about challenge on Webster,am I alone in thinking that challenge could have been a career changer for Webster and a red card ,I have seen lesser fouls punished more.

Shouldn't a deliberate, dangerous, cynical foul like that, in which Laporte launched himself at Webster from several yards away be a straight-up red card? But then I guess that as one of the four areas that VAR is used to review is red card situations the officials were happy with it - as confirmed by the expert pundits on MOTD

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Couldn’t agree more. People moan about diving but why is deliberately fouling to prevent a counterattack, especially early on when more likely to escape a booking, any better. At least with diving you aren’t going to injure someone else and luckily for us Laporte injured himself and not Webster.

Serves them right IMO blame lies sole on their manager for his anti football when the opposition have the ball.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Why is anyone surprised. The BBC regard every team outside the top 6 as just cannon fodder. I can't listen to 5 live these days for more than about 30 seconds before somebody starts arse-licking one of the "big" clubs. It's become nauseating.

Fungus

May 21, 2004
Truro

Apparently, it was Rodri's fault for not fouling Webster in the middle of the pitch!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here