Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] BHA & Motherwell, an overhyped view.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
After reading this article by Scottish journo, Ben Banks, I've come to the conclusion that he may know a lot about Scottish footy, but his views on the Albion may be a tad far fetched.
He describes the Albion as attracting day trippers, whereas Motherwell attract from the grass roots level.
Apart from the tenuous effort of the Jamie Murphy link, I think he needs to get to know our club, before spouting............

'Both sides lean towards one demographic. Brighton target the day trippers and Motherwell go after the season ticket holders and regulars'

https://www.nottheoldfirm.com/columnist/brighton-mwell-learn-from-each-other/

Last edited:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
As the OP knows the Brighton Motherwell link will always interest me . I got part way through it and stopped reading because it is Bank Holiday and I am out on the piss. Wit all due respect to the writer of the article. I have been to the Amex in a different Capacity than he has and I have been supporting Motherwell since I was in awe of Peter Marinello at about age 10 so I shall respond without being drunk. So leave this one with me until you slaughter the article. I would like to defend Motherwell fans properly

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I agree with him. He should have come when we were at Withdean. Sitting in the rain in the pitch dark and the club “shop” being a caravan with an awning. We’re frantically trying to bed in the 20k diehards among our support (who somehow managed to miss the theatre of shit) to worry about STHs and other moaners.

Oh...and by the way mr Porridge...I’ve been to Motherwell. Good luck attracting tourists to that shithole.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
After reading this article by Scottish journo, Ben Banks, I've come to the conclusion that he may know a lot about Scottish footy, but his views on the Albion may be a tad far fetched.
He describes the Albion as attracting day trippers, whereas Motherwell attract from the grass roots level.
Apart from the tenuous effort of the Jamie Murphy link, I think he needs to get to know our club, before spouting............

'Both sides lean towards one demographic. Brighton target the day trippers and Motherwell go after the season ticket holders and regulars'

Strange quote. Most of our ground is season ticket holders.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Strange quote. Most of our ground is season ticket holders.

That said, there does seem to be an inordinate number of people at matches who want the selfie by the badge, who queue for the shop and spend an age trying to find their seats.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
May 8, 2007
Toronto
That said, there does seem to be an inordinate number of people at matches who want the selfie by the badge, who queue for the shop and spend an age trying to find their seats.

giphy.gif

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Just greater numbers of people. Means more of every type of supporter. Hopefully the ‘daytrippers’ will come again. Doesn’t bother me. That article is quite bizarre. Apparantly amongst the bad things at football are meeting friends and family, enjoying a pre match pint whilst watching music, having a post match pint in the concourse. The message seems to be to go to the football but don’t enjoy yourself.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I agree with him. He should have come when we were at Withdean. Sitting in the rain in the pitch dark and the club “shop” being a caravan with an awning. We’re frantically trying to bed in the 20k diehards among our support (who somehow managed to miss the theatre of shit) to worry about STHs and other moaners.

Oh...and by the way mr Porridge...I’ve been to Motherwell. Good luck attracting tourists to that shithole.

There were over 20,000 Brighton fans who bought tickets for Withdean. Some more than others, some less. Probably not many day trippers though. Easy to imagine that most ended up buying season tickets at Falmer.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Just greater numbers of people. Means more of every type of supporter. Hopefully the ‘daytrippers’ will come again. Doesn’t bother me. That article is quite bizarre. Apparantly amongst the bad things at football are meeting friends and family, enjoying a pre match pint whilst watching music, having a post match pint in the concourse. The message seems to be to go to the football but don’t enjoy yourself.

To be fair, it's probably quite hard to enjoy yourself if you're watching Motherwell Vs St Mirren.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
May 8, 2007
Toronto
There were over 20,000 Brighton fans who bought tickets for Withdean. Some more than others, some less. Probably not many day trippers though. Easy to imagine that most ended up buying season tickets at Falmer.

Indeed. I went to maybe 5 or 6 games a season at Withdean, along with the odd away game (which was usually a lot more fun). As soon as we moved into Falmer I bought a season ticket. Quite a few of my friends did exactly the same. I'd say that's the majority of the season ticket holders now.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Just read it all and still on the piss. It's a """green with envy article" In fact it's a load of push" If he got paid for it he is Dick Turrpin. He is correct in everything he says about Brighton they do target the Tourist and that's what the PL brings.

Motherwell can never get gates over 5k constantly. That's where he is correct and it's because Rangers and Celtic are in close proximity. They follow those teams due to the Catholic/ Prodestant links. Address that before you think a "match day experience " will make a difference . Then I will be happy to give his article any credance.

I am a proud Motherwell fan but until we eradicate Racism and Sectarianism. Parents and their political views will always determine who attends Motherwell matches.

Brighton on the other hand are trying to attract a Worldwide audience

I am a wee bit embarrassed by the article if I am honest and to put Jamie Murphy's name to it is shameful

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I was about to write that some journalism is so lazy now that.....then I remembered how The Sun operated in the 70s and 80s.....and the Express and Mail and, yes, the Mirror in the 60s, 70s and, er, forevermore.

My theory is that when the powers of communication (the press, then the telly) realised the working class had money they tried to tailor their output for the masses, dumbing down sometimes to the point of grotesquery. When I was working class I felt continually patronized by ex public school boys giving me a plastic 'wotcher mate' and 'ows yer farver'.

Now we have tinternet, bloggers, youtubers...if they sing a song with a tune you like, and you prefer to hear a tune you like than flex your head....then you listen to the tune, and like.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I have just sent this Ben chap an email. Politely and succinctly correcting him on the bollocks that he has been spouting. I await a reply.

Hope you didn’t give him too hard a time - from his photo he looks about 14 years old. His ridiculous article reinforces that he’s about 14 too.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I remember going to a game at Withdean and my other half of the time decided she didn't fancy it so we went on a day trip to the sea front. Then it started to rain so she said 'shall we go to the game after all?' and we did (catching the second half). So, yes, I was a day tripper at Withdean :lolol:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I remember going to a game at Withdean and my other half of the time decided she didn't fancy it so we went on a day trip to the sea front. Then it started to rain so she said 'shall we go to the game after all?' and we did (catching the second half). So, yes, I was a day tripper at Withdean :lolol:

It started to rain, so you went to Withdean? Was she not familiar with the "stadium"?

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
The bloke's a clueless idiot. I stopped reading after one or two silly uninformed, speculative nonsense comments and finally this: "....the atmosphere is worse **for where.**"

I where trousers most days, but wear I put them of a day is anyone's guess.

14 year old - GCSE English fail in the making.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Luckily for him then that grounds are dry in Scotland.

:facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here