Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
iako.gif

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I loved watching boxing since I was a nipper .... from the later Ali fights, Sugar Ray Leonard, you name it. I’ve watched Calzaghe and know exactly what you mean. His trainer Dad created an intelligent boxer, I think his opponents and a load of English punters under-rated him, realising almost too late when it was coming to the end. Kessler was a deceptively brutal fighter, but JC overcame him too.

Even though I was too young to see Ali in his prime, watching his video's its hard to doubt that he was the most skilful and charismatic heavyweights of all time. Its hard to argue with his self statement that he was the greatest. Its also sad due to boxing that his health suffered for it shortly after retirement.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Even though I was too young to see Ali in his prime, watching his video's its hard to doubt that he was the most skilful and charismatic heavyweights of all time. Its hard to argue with his self statement that he was the greatest. Its also sad due to boxing that his health suffered for it shortly after retirement.

In the 60's, he had the hand speed and mobility around the ring of a much lower weight class. Unbelievable for a huge man in his day. Behind the charisma and smiles, he took opponents apart with measured brutality.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
While obviously not up there with the likes of 1966, the RWC, Headingley 81 and 19 etc, as a lifelong sailor there are two moments that are special to me.

One is Ellen MacArthur coming 2nd in the 2000-1 Vendee Globe. Basically a young woman from Derbyshire totally outclassing the male-dominated elite of offshore sailing, it remains an incredible achievement.

Second is the final race of the Sydney 2000 Olympics Laser sailing. A fantastic masterclass for anyone who's ever sailed competitively.

This video covers it – oddly there's a blank screen at the beginning, but it does start properly at 01:25.

documentary

The story had begun 4 years previously, when Brazilian Robert Scheidt managed to get British sailor Ben Ainslie disqualified in the final race of the 1996 Olympics, thus pipping him to the gold medal.

Four years later, Scheidt was poised to win gold again. However Ainslie went into the final race with an outside chance of overcoming him. Because of the way the series works (racers are allowed to scratch any one race from the series when calculating their overall score), this didn't lie in just beating him. It lay in somehow making Scheidt finish worse than 22nd. This would force Scheidt to include one poor finish in his final tally, and Ainslie would overtake him, no matter where he finished himself.

So that's what Ainslie did. While dozens of other racers sailed a normal race, Ainslie focused entirely on stopping Scheidt from racing. To anyone unfamiliar with sailing, it looks odd and maybe even unsporting. To anyone who's ever sailed, it's possibly the greatest demonstration of mind games and incredible tactical control ever. Not to mention the ultimate payback.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I was at the Gazza goal match but no others unfortunately.

One only vaguely mentioned is Faldo but his win against Norman at the masters on the last day is right up there for me. 6 shots behind Norman going into the final day and finishing 5 ahead. Faldo shot 67, Norman 78. The 5 wood he took at amen corner was awesome.

Aug 7, 2014
In terms of English boxers, yes he is one of the greats (and English sporting moments is what this thread s about).

I understand the topic is about English sporting moments but i read it that he was stating because of defeating Holyfield and Tyson that made him one of the all time greats (in boxing).

Apologies, must of got that wrong.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Froome holding all three grand tours at once, the Giro D'Italia breakaway - unreal.

Cue, "not British" and "drug-fuelled" comments...

The Giro d'Italia breakaway was one of the great sporting performances of 2018.

FIVESTEPS

Nov 3, 2014
Jonathan Edward's world record triple jump of 18.29 metres (60ft) set at the world championships in Gothenburg in 1995,seemed to be almost superhuman.At the same championships Inessa Kravets of the the Ukraine also set the womens triple jump record of 15.50(50ft10inches)both records still stand today.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
A bit controversial but this is mine. My Oz Brother in Law, self styled expert in boxing with a large collection of Ring magazines.
McClellan was his favorite fighter pound for pound the best around he said.
I got back from the UK about 1989. I said watch out for Nigel Benn he's an absolute animal. He replied typical POM hyping up someone cause your desperate for a World Champion.
The rest as they say is history.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here