Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] **** England v Australia, 1st Specsavers Ashes Test, Edgbaston. Official match thread ****

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Outside off ****ing leave, it really is that simple

Thing is Bairstow has been bowled 40% of his dismissals and his average against straight balls is rubbish, so where does he score runs? Amazing how a player looks so good in the one day game but looks absolutely hapless at the moment in this format

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Oh f**k off, so much for this mega strong middle order.

Bairstow & Ali are so out of nick. Definite case for Foakes now. Not sure I’d go with Rashid, too expensive and lacks control. Leach seems the more obvious replacement. That being said Ali is picked for his bowling so let’s see how he gets on there.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
:facepalm: Need to get Rashid in this team, Ali is not good enough.

He’s selected as a bowler, as per his excellent year he’s has as a test bowler.

No doubt his batting is no good now. But that doesn’t matter when he’s selected as 1 of the 4 main line bowlers. Woakes should be ahead of Ali in the batting order. Why Buttler was coming in before Stokes is another question that needs answering.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Yeah, Rashid was probably a rash call from me as Ali is probably a more solid bowler than him in tests, got to feel like next innings bowling is going to be very important for Moeen on a spinning surface to produce a decent wicket haul. His batting has really gone to pot though he looks as bad as Monty Panesar nowadays, needs to be sent down the order.

larus

Yesterday, things went our way.

Today, quite the reverse. Too many players can't graft now. Ali has the occasional good innings, but too rare (IMO).

We have a lot of attacking, fast scoring players in the test team (Roy, Butler, Bairstow), but can they cut it in tests? Debatable - even though I really want them to.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Yesterday, things went our way.

Today, quite the reverse. Too many players can't graft now. Ali has the occasional good innings, but too rare (IMO).

We have a lot of attacking, fast scoring players in the test team (Roy, Butler, Bairstow), but can they cut it in tests? Debatable - even though I really want them to.

They probably can, if we stop asking them to play an unnatural game, yes don’t be quite so aggressive but you have to feel all those players could do more damage just playing their natural game style, at least that way for every time they get out cheaply you can forgive it if they make a quick 50. Roy is the biggest example, he’s an aggressive player who takes the game away from teams and if you take that away from him you lose all his strengths.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
As usual not a test quality player. either as a batsman or bowler.. Disastrous morning, we are in trouble having to bat 4th with a very slender 1st innings lead.
I give up. I used to enjoy NSC cricket threads, but this is ****wittery of the highest order. I'm out of here.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Think we can safely say that was Australias session.

Lunch Day 3

Eng 328/8 lead Aus by 44

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Think we can safely say that was Australias session.

Lunch Day 3

Eng 328/8 lead Aus by 44

Very good session for Australia, right back in the match. Their outfielding was excellent throughout the session probably saved them 10/15 runs, all of which could be crucial.

Brave man to call this now. Although the bookies have the Aussies at 11/5 which feels generous.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here