Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Adam Webster *** Signed on 4 year deal ***

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Strikes me as the ideal, realistic signing if we want a back 3. 25M does sound too much but would we realistically get him for 15M? Think back to when we were in the Champ and talking about loosing Dunk for about 15M. Nobody wanted to take that but there would have been pressure on the club to consider it, and the market has gone up quickly since then.

Might be a case of holding out and the player wanting to move, then settling more in the middle, around the 20M range. Exact figure likely affected by how much money is upfront, are there clauses etc.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
£25m is absolute madness for a player who's never set foot in the Premier League and played only for Portsmouth, Ipswich and Bristol City, none of whom really achieved very much when he was there.

I thought Clarke for £5m was a tidy bit of business as his value is almost certain to go up rapidly and he looks to have great potential. This seems mental at the fee mentioned, if we are going to spend £25m surely we should spend this on a proven goalscorer? This isn't a value proposition, Bristol City probably can't believe their luck!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
As long as we don't pay £25M for Webster .......................... !

Hmmm chatting to my Bristol City chum today (he is actually quite sensible on these matters) Webster is destined for PL football, and def deserves at least a £20m price tag.
That is not to say of course that £25m is inflated because transfer fees are ridiculous anyway............but he is very rated anyway as a centre back......well at least by city fans.....which doesnt really help anyway

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
On what basis do you come up with that?

Similar quality of player? Neither have top flight experience. With our current squad I'd see them as 4th and 5th choice CB's.
Anything more than £10M and we've been royally mugged. £20M+ for an unproven lower league CB is crazy money.
Just my opinion.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
£25m is absolute madness for a player who's never set foot in the Premier League and played only for Portsmouth, Ipswich and Bristol City, none of whom really achieved very much when he was there.

I thought Clarke for £5m was a tidy bit of business as his value is almost certain to go up rapidly and he looks to have great potential. This seems mental at the fee mentioned, if we are going to spend £25m surely we should spend this on a proven goalscorer? This isn't a value proposition, Bristol City probably can't believe their luck!

I think you're getting you fees confused with those of 4/5 years ago...

If you think that top Prem CB's are costing £80mil these days then £25mil seems quite realistic to me for a top Champ defender.

I also think you're very naive if you think we'll get a proven goalscorer for £25mil.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I think you're getting you fees confused with those of 4/5 years ago...

If you think that top Prem CB's are costing £80mil these days then £25mil seems quite realistic to me for a top Champ defender.

I also think you're very naive if you think we'll get a proven goalscorer for £25mil.

Agreed, a good goal scorer will be north of £50 mill

a proven one .............well the selling club can make up any figure they want

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
Everything got ****ed up the day Liverpool spent 75 million on VVD.
Some would say good business as he has transformed their defence, on the other scale clubs now use this as a yardstick.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Similar quality of player? Neither have top flight experience. With our current squad I'd see them as 4th and 5th choice CB's.
Anything more than £10M and we've been royally mugged. £20M+ for an unproven lower league CB is crazy money.
Just my opinion.

Fair enough.
You obviously don't know that much about Webster and are probably a wee bit out of step with what the wider football world thinks, including our own management.
I understand Matt Clarke may go out on loan to gain further experience whilst Webster is a very highly rated young player that GP et al appear to be pretty keen on and ,according to rumour, are prepared to pay a substantial fee for. If signed, he would not be going out on loan, but would be an integral and important part of the squad and I would venture to say that he would very soon become an automatic choice for the team.
As far as transfer fees are concerned, valuations have gone mad, as have wages, and everything else connected with the higher echelons of professional football. It is the world we live in, but if we want to attract the best players, you have to pay the going rate.
The club presumably feel that Clarke would benefit from playing regular football at a level he hasn't yet experienced, and if he does well, his value will increase and he will also be in a better position to challenge for a place in the team here.As far as Webster is concerned, he has regularly played at a higher level than Clarke and was voted City's Player of the Year, last season. He has been widely tipped as a Prem player and is obviously a few steps ahead of Clarke in his development. If fees continue at the present level or even increase, he may well turn out to be a bargain, either for us or some other club if we don't sign him.
P.S. Graham Potter is also untried in the top flight, but he was the kind of manager the the Board and Ashworth believed could help establish the Albion as an attractive footballing side capable of holding their own in the Prem. They obviously didn't feel the same about Hughton.
Look to the future, you may enjoy it!

Last edited:

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
We need a striker for goodness sake not another centre back. How difficult can it be? How many more months do we need? The season starts in 2 weeks!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here