Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Offers] Pen pushers

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
I think making someone sweat for their money long after the work has been done is a bit below the belt, even in this situation. IMO, a better way of returning the favour is to book him up (along with a different decorator) and then drop him with a few hours notice because you've found somebody else.

There aren’t many trades where you stump up for materials and full labour, complete the job and then have to wait ages for any money. If you aren’t happy with the wait get someone else in who hasn’t anything on. You’ could possibly find out why he isn’t that busy if you are unlucky.

Fair points. Mine was more of a tongue in cheek comment though.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Illegal? :lolol: they could always get someone else.

After they have been told a start date? The customer then has to find somebody else who they feel is suitable, and is available immediately, not too easy I’m sure you will agree. So the customer gets their job done far later than promised through no fault of their own. So maybe illegal is not really correct, just that there should be a written quote with an expected time of work commencement. If there are unreasonable delays in starting the work there should be compensation guidelines put in place.

Would this really be so unfair?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
There aren’t many trades where you stump up for materials and full labour, complete the job and then have to wait ages for any money. If you aren’t happy with the wait get someone else in who hasn’t anything on. You’ could possibly find out why he isn’t that busy if you are unlucky.

That is what many businesses do all the time, buy stock, pay wages, wait for sales. Anyway, seems a lot of tradies expect staggered payments along the way which seems fair enough.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
After they have been told a start date? The customer then has to find somebody else who they feel is suitable, and is available immediately, not too easy I’m sure you will agree. So the customer gets their job done far later than promised through no fault of their own. So maybe illegal is not really correct, just that there should be a written quote with an expected time of work commencement. If there are unreasonable delays in starting the work there should be compensation guidelines put in place.

Would this really be so unfair?
30 years as S/E sparks, every job you take on is a credit risk I work differently to some tradesman insist on a large deposit and payment the moment the last screw is in the wall so to speak. If the deposit is paid the job will be completed on time by me anyway. No deposit no work will be carried out. I have no idea if the poster paid a deposit if he did then he has every right to kick off if he didn’t then he might have a long wait.
I’ve had customers cancel at the last minute I can’t ask them for compensation so it can’t really work the other way round although I do see your point.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Baxi engineer turned up Tuesday to do an annual service, part of a cover plan we pay.

When arrived he said where is the boiler, in the loft I advised, might be too hot to service it in this weather.........

Anyway once he saw it advised under Health & Safety cannot touch it as floor boarding not safe. I showed him the previous service last year and he said oh yeah I trained that engineer and he should not have completed the service.

If ever, anyone arrived, clearly not wanting to do anything this was the man.

Awaiting a response from their customer complaints department.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
often delays are down to other clients , trades having to move rooms full of furniture that the clients have said they would move , client saying "oh while you're here can you do this room too" as self employed trades you can very rarely win , you are either sat at home doing nothing , worrying how to pay your mortgage or rushed off your feet with people hassling you left right and centre........also cash flow , waiting for payments from one job to buy materials for the next .....just saying.

not the same as arguing with some jumped up medical receptionist who is aggressively insisting that you pay a huge sum for an scan / procedure that you have been written up for by your gp as a "no patient charge" item .......

I'm sure they are. In this case though he's got a (more lucrative) contract to do some other work and they've thrown on some extras and this is 'really important'. That's fine - but he could've said when committing to the first date that this might have been likely to happen. Poor communication/customer service is nothing to do with being either penpushers or plumbers - it's down to the individuals.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Baxi engineer turned up Tuesday to do an annual service, part of a cover plan we pay.

When arrived he said where is the boiler, in the loft I advised, might be too hot to service it in this weather.........

Anyway once he saw it advised under Health & Safety cannot touch it as floor boarding not safe. I showed him the previous service last year and he said oh yeah I trained that engineer and he should not have completed the service.

If ever, anyone arrived, clearly not wanting to do anything this was the man.

Awaiting a response from their customer complaints department.
Get up in your loft now and tell us all how long you last

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I think making someone sweat for their money long after the work has been done is a bit below the belt, even in this situation. IMO, a better way of returning the favour is to book him up (along with a different decorator) and then drop him with a few hours notice because you've found somebody else.

I did exactly this last year. It was hugely satisfying.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here