Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Virgin Active Brighton

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Are there really any active virgins left in Brighton?

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Was a member there for pretty much my entire childhood between 1994 - 2007 and loved it but went back this year and the place just seemed old and outdated and really looked like it had gone downhill - for the monthly prices surely there are better options?

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
Hi All,

Wondered if any Nsc'ers are members of this facility, views and thoughts on it. Price reflecting what you get for your membership etc

Someone mentioned to me it might be getting taking over so not sure whether to wait and see before looking to find a club to join.

Apologies if there's been a thread previously as it is such a local leisure complex to the Amex it may have been talked about.

TIA
I am a member it’s fairly expensive and in need
of a bit of TLC but outdoor pool and the parking on match days
makes it reasonable VFM

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
was a member a few years ago but couldn't justify the cost especially as we moved to Shoreham and it became a hassle getting there.

facilities are alright although as others have said could do with some TLC especially as membership fees are a lot. If you can afford it and your family are into racket sports and swimming then you could perhaps make a case for it being alright value for money at a push if you're able to use those particularly facilities regularly.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
It's easy (ish) to get to and park unlike gyms in town.

It has a couple of pools so is ok for lane swimming.

It has decent equipment, although if it's busy the squat rack can be a bit of a log jam, but that's the same at any gym.

Coffee/food is ok-ish.

I don't go to any of the classes, but hear they are good, although usually there's a waitlist for them.

Like other people have said, it needs some investment.

I only joined because I have Vitality insurance and so get a 40% discount. If I didn't then I would probably choose one of the following:

For just weight training: Cheetahs. Mega cheap, loads of weights.

For weights plus classes/PTs: Underground

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I think it’s great, yeah it’s not cheap but it has everything I like, I go 2-3 times a week,

I can park for football, which although gets me home same time as when I parked in Woodingdean and walked, you are at least dry and listening to BBC Sussex.

I have a little one not at school yet so it means I can actually go as there is a good Creche there included in our membership. He loves it and I can get some time to use the facilities.

Been to cheaper gyms but due to childcare problems never went. So I pay more but I can actually go, bonus of match day parking.

I find the facilities decent enough and they always seems to be improving something which is good to see.

As for the gym area itself I also like that most who go seem to be rarely decent people, out there weights away and not just posers or groups of LADS dicking about like it’s their private area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
Looks like Virgin Active will be gone in a couple of years, the lease is nearly up so Brighton University will be taking over the site and moving departments across from other campuses.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Looks like Virgin Active will be gone in a couple of years, the lease is nearly up so Brighton University will be taking over the site and moving departments across from other campuses.

Couple of weeks at the Brighton one?

My brother just messaged me saying it was shutting mid November.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

This is absolutely amazing news.

The reason that this is happening is because Brighton University want to relocate their brilliant sport courses from Eastbourne over to Falmer, next door the Amex.

This will create a “corridor of sporting excellence” from the Amex through to the Aldridge cricket academy.

My dream is that if the club and the University get their heads together, a new small stadium (12k max capacity) could be built in or around the campus to house the Women’s team but also provide a better match day facility for the U23’s.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
This is absolutely amazing news.

The reason that this is happening is because Brighton University want to relocate their brilliant sport courses from Eastbourne over to Falmer, next door the Amex.

This will create a “corridor of sporting excellence” from the Amex through to the Aldridge cricket academy.

My dream is that if the club and the University get their heads together, a new small stadium (12k max capacity) could be built in or around the campus to house the Women’s team but also provide a better match day facility for the U23’s.

I immensely enjoyed my uni days down at Darley Rd, Eastbourne.

Nothing to do with the nursing course also being down there of course :whistle:

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
Yep, just got an email to tell me that, last day 21st November.

Bugger!

Just got my email! Gutted!

I thought it was a great gym and easy to get to from Lewes

And I could park my car there on match days.

Oh well! Back to Pure Gym in Burgess Hill/Brighton I guess

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
That leaves a lot of gym goers having to go and find new gyms.

There’s not really a suitable gym in Lewes.

Maybe someone should take over the lease of the now empty Land Rover showroom in Lewes and open a new gym

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Misses and I both signed up for a year membership last month, wtf do we do now? It was only up the road

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The Body Happy gym in Lewes is run by a friend of mine, if people are interested in a Lewes alternative. I shan’t comment further as people are free to check it out for themselves.

Mods feel free to remove if this breaks spamming rules.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
That leaves a lot of gym goers having to go and find new gyms.

There’s not really a suitable gym in Lewes.

Maybe someone should take over the lease of the now empty Land Rover showroom in Lewes and open a new gym

The facility that this gym will replace (in Eastbourne) allows associate members to use it’s facilities. This could be a long term option in the future so all is not completely lost.

https://sport.brighton.ac.uk/facilities/eastbourne

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
A friend of mine joined a brand new gym in Hove last month , I can’t remember the name but it’s in a converted church and my friend is fussy !

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I did look at PHX gym in Hollingbury that Michel Kuipers is involved with, but it looks like a gym for bodybuilders rather than overweight 46 year olds with dodgy knees trying to get a bit fitter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here