Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] VAR - will football ever be the same again?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
It's unlikely that VAR in it's current form will survive the coming season. The sheer WELTER of criticism will ensure that it gets swiftly modified so it doesn't ruin the flow of the game.

I hope you're right there Tom... I'd be delighted if it can work, as it should make the game less randomly (human error driven) agonising - BUT it needs refining before a club loses out on a place in any division (or indeed winning a major trophy) due to it's current glaring omissions (or should that be too many inclusions?!?) and toddler learning to walkisms.

I have to say, I don't like it one little bit - it's just too mechanical in a game driven by emotive artistry - the two just don't mix. Kind of like a physics teacher covering for an art teacher, gamely giving a lesson to a group of sixth formers about the renaissance period.

Uncomfortably numb.

wealdgull

NSC Patron
Dec 7, 2017
"Welcome back to The Amex/Old Trafford/Anfield where the away team's goal has just been disallowed by the VAR ref"

Not picking on you specifically, but the phrase "VAR ref" is going to be really irritating every time I hear it (and suspect I'll hear it a lot).

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I've posted already about why I dislike VAR as it stands. Problem is, we moan when referees get key decisions wrong, and when the governing bodies introduce technology to reduce that, we moan about that as well.

Crucially, it's the fact that we're moaning about the technology with good reason. It takes too long, it's still subjective, and even the objective calls have been wrong...making a farce of the whole concept. But, as I've admitted on other threads, there's no stopping it now. We can only hope that it does improve over time, and without adversely impacting our season or love of the game.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not picking on you specifically, but the phrase "VAR ref" is going to be really irritating every time I hear it (and suspect I'll hear it a lot).

Language evolves. 'VAR' has virtually arrived as a word in its own right, regardless of the 'R' standing for referee. VAR ref, - just get used to it!

I'd rather people (particularly the football authorities and the VAR refs.(sorry!) themselves) worried about the 'A' rather than the 'R'. 'A' stands for 'assistant' - but basically it mainly seems to be there to over-rule the on-field referee, not to assist him (or her).

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Could be quite amazing this season, a little will depend on how it is interpreted by the officials especially for the first few games. Would love to see the end of all the clotheslining and handbags in the area at corners and free kicks !

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The women’s World Cup is not it’s ‘initial use’ though, it’s been in use for multiple seasons and has been used in multiple cup competitions, including ones in this country! (Remember Andone’s red card in the FA Cup?). The women’s World Cup has absolutely awful standards of officiating, it should be no surprise that VAR was a shitshow in that competition when it is refereed by clowns.

Isn't the latter part of your post what football is all about for the fans ??? I would much rather go batshit mental when something like Ulloa@Forest happens than see the goal go in an wait thirty seconds until the ref signals the goal. Yes some goals go against you and some don't. Penalty decisions are fine as they can be looked at while the game is still going on but if somebody is ruled offside because they have long hair which proves to be 1mm offside when the ball might have been kicked will kill the game.

There is so much analysis on if a player is 1mm offside but how much is looked at when the ball is kicked forward what is the margin of error there.

Yes - it has been used in other competitions, and look at the farce it made of Sterling's 'winner' in the European Cup. For me, the damage VAR did in that game to the pure unadulterated joy round the Etihad was enough to put me right off it. Nothing I've seen since has converted me.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Yes - it has been used in other competitions, and look at the farce it made of Sterling's 'winner' in the European Cup. For me, the damage VAR did in that game to the pure unadulterated joy round the Etihad was enough to put me right off it. Nothing I've seen since has converted me.

It was offside though, imagine if we went out of the CL because of an offside goal in the last minute of the match. It works both ways and both teams know the rules.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
It was offside though, imagine if we went out of the CL because of an offside goal in the last minute of the match. It works both ways and both teams know the rules.

Yes - but that's not what all the discussion is about. It's not so much whether it is the 'right' decision, but the effect it has on our enjoyment. And to be fair, it didn't look offside, wasn't really played through by a city player (just came off one), no-one appealed, no-one had any inkling there might have been any sort of offside, and there was about two minutes of delirium before there was any indication that it might have been a toenail offside. That's what we're discussing really - it's ruining the live game I think.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
My enjoyment is ruined when we let a goal in that should or could have been disallowed, especially if it is winning goal.
VAR does need tightening up though with very clear rules as to when to use it and it has to be quicker with someone watching it on a TV and making a decision to the ref in 30 seconds or less.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Very good point and well made.

For offside it needs to be 'clear blue daylight'. There will still be tight decisions but they will feel fairer.

Essentially the equivalent of umpire’s call in cricket. If the offside is within a pre-agreed margin, such as the clear blue sky suggested above, then it stands. Cricket manages it pretty well so it seems daft not to learn from other sports that have been here before.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
...it's ruining the live game I think.

Abso-bloody-exactly! Our cup match against Palace was the first match in the UK to have VAR. Normally a late winner against that mob would have me going utterly loopy but that night the celebration stuck in my throat. Possibly the single most beautiful moment in this sport is being removed. I know I’m swimming against the tide of progress but I’d happily stick with goal line technology and leave it at that.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Did anyone actually ask for VAR, I thought all most people wanted was goal line technology to stop travesties like the Frank Lampard effort against Germany. The rest should be left to the refs...

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Did anyone actually ask for VAR, I thought all most people wanted was goal line technology to stop travesties like the Frank Lampard effort against Germany. The rest should be left to the refs...

If only the refs were any good, but they are pants, they even miss a clear bad foul which should have been carded from less than 5 yards away with a clear view, almost every week.

Bod

Dec 8, 2015

The broadcasters.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here