Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Jo Brand Comment

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
If Piers Morgan had said the same about throwing acid in Jeremy Corbyn's face there would be calls for him to be sacked, and quite rightly. I really don't see the difference here. Brand should not be allowed on the BBC again. 1) because of this, 2) because she is a Palace fan and 3) because she isn't funny.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I don't find Jo Brand very funny but when she talks about serious topics, such as mental health and equality I find her very enlightened and engaging.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
If Piers Morgan had said the same about throwing acid in Jeremy Corbyn's face there would be calls for him to be sacked, and quite rightly. I really don't see the difference here. Brand should not be allowed on the BBC again. 1) because of this, 2) because she is a Palace fan and 3) because she isn't funny.

Are you saying there AREN'T calls for her to be sacked? There clearly ARE calls for Brand to be sacked. YOU, amongst others, are doing it. Doesn't mean it has to happen.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It was a stupid comment. But then saying you want to rape a female MP gets you a gig in politics these days so who knows what is and isn't appropriate anymore.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Leave snowflakes are jumping on anything at the moment. Anything they think can strengthen their pathetically weak case. Which is why Brand shouldn't have given them the fuel.

This has nothing to do with snowflakes, it's the hypocrisy. My personal opinion is we lose too many politicians, comedians etc etc for minor indiscretions and we'll up end with sterile speaking MPs, sterile comedy etc etc.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
This has nothing to do with snowflakes, it's the hypocrisy. My personal opinion is we lose too many politicians, comedians etc etc for minor indiscretions and we'll up end with sterile speaking MPs, sterile comedy etc etc.

I think both our points stand.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Are you saying there AREN'T calls for her to be sacked? There clearly ARE calls for Brand to be sacked. YOU, amongst others, are doing it. Doesn't mean it has to happen.

But the BBC sacked Baker and they are supporting Brand

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
The BBC said the jokes made on Heresy are "deliberately provocative as the title implies". [ the programme is Heresy - which is a long running Radio 4 programme that "Discussion programme which challenges established ideas and questions received wisdom"

via https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48611424
It added they are "not intended to be taken seriously."

Brand, speaking after Mr Farage and a number of far-right European election candidates were covered in milkshakes during campaign walkabouts in May, said "Why bother with a milkshake when you could get some battery acid?"
The comic then went on to immediately make clear she was joking and criticised the milkshake stunts.
"That's just me. I'm not going to do it," she said. "It's purely a fantasy, but I think milkshakes are pathetic, I honestly do, sorry."

Under no circumstances post context on here. It stops a good binfest. It's her turn today, Danny Baker and John Cleese had theirs a couple of weeks ago and tomorrow it will be someone else. Just pleased for once the BBC have stood by her comments and stressed IT'S A JOKE idiots. And it's obviously very different to a politician saying it and even then it would depend on context.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Right answer

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
They defended Clarkson to begin with from what I recall?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Under no circumstances post context on here. It stops a good binfest. It's her turn today, Danny Baker and John Cleese had theirs a couple of weeks ago and tomorrow it will be someone else. Just pleased for once the BBC have stood by her comments and stressed IT'S A JOKE idiots. And it's obviously very different to a politician saying it and even then it would depend on context.

So they'll reinstate Baker then?

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010

But the BBC sacked Baker and they are supporting Brand

That's up to them.

I'm not sure I understand your point of view though. In the top post you think too many comedians are sacked for minor discretions, in the post below you insinuate a comedian should be sacked for making a minor discretion?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Probably unwise.

Just needs an apology for any offence caused.

Then folk can stop getting sore bums on those faux righteous saddles. Those horses are a bit high anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here