Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Say's it all

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
BBC are basically like the mafia I’m sure Nick Ferrari hasn’t paid it for years in protest.

Go and spend some years living abroad and you will soon appreciate that the BBC is one of the few things that is still great about Britain.
I'd happily pay the licence fee just for the radio services let alone the TV channels, iPlayer and websites.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
...and how would you pay for TV from the BBC? By monthly subscription, like Sky, Netflix, Amazon, Virgin? What's the difference?

By the way, the BBC has been in a process of disbanding it's core activities - it used to be a world leader in broadcast engineering, now it barely does anything in that area.

Except the obvious... I don't need to pay for Sky in order to legally use Netflix.

Pretty Plnk Fairy

NSC Patron
Jan 30, 2008
Bbc is bad value for money to as it costs £154 to pay for it each time but Sky is only £70 so im not happy that twice as much money is going to the snowflakes and the only thing i watch on there channels is CBeebies anyway

Regards
DR

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
People are treating this as some slanderous act - free licences for the over 75s was only brought in in 2000. It is no longer sustainable so it's going.

Younger people who don't watch the BBC so much are effectively subsidising the elderly, who do watch it. I don't think that's particularly fair. And for all those saying it should be means tested, to an extent it will be with a licence not needed if one person in the household is getting pension credit. Fact is we all know people of 75+ who are doing very well for themselves, who are embarrassed to get the winter fuel allowance and it is right that those people cough up for the TV they watch.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Another shower that can't keep their word! Said they would absorb the cost for the over 75s if they were allowed to put up the TV Licence fee, which they did, also said they would make a small profit on the increase. It's about time the BBC went the same way as the other stations, pay to view, see who watches EastEnders then...

It is pay to view. Subscription slightly more than Netflix but offers more.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Why do you think the BBC is having to make this move? Because its hands are tied politically and it can't raise the TV license fee.

Free, independent news is just as much of a national treasure as the NHS, but you wouldn't think so reading some of the comments online.

Eh?
The licence fee went up from £150.50 to £154.50 from April 1st 2019.
Regarding your point re the 'dreaded national treasuring' , what that means, is that emotion completely takes over from common sense, rational discussion becomes impossible and people get nasty and throw milkshakes at each other........metaphorically speaking ,of course!:lolol::tantrum:

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Bbc is bad value for money to as it costs £154 to pay for it each time but Sky is only £70 so im not happy that twice as much money is going to the snowflakes and the only thing i watch on there channels is CBeebies anyway

Regards
DR

So you get Sky for £5.83 / month. ? Does it give you as much as the BBC does ?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Govt: We're not paying for over 75s any more. You tell em.
BBC: We're not paying for over 75s any more.
Govt: That's so snide what you're doing.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
People are treating this as some slanderous act - free licences for the over 75s was only brought in in 2000. It is no longer sustainable so it's going.

Younger people who don't watch the BBC so much are effectively subsidising the elderly, who do watch it. I don't think that's particularly fair. And for all those saying it should be means tested, to an extent it will be with a licence not needed if one person in the household is getting pension credit. Fact is we all know people of 75+ who are doing very well for themselves, who are embarrassed to get the winter fuel allowance and it is right that those people cough up for the TV they watch.

Yep

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Eh?
The licence fee went up from £150.50 to £154.50 from April 1st 2019.
Regarding your point re the 'dreaded national treasuring' , what that means, is that emotion completely takes over from common sense, rational discussion becomes impossible and people get nasty and throw milkshakes at each other........metaphorically speaking ,of course!:lolol::tantrum:

Nowhere near as much as it should have gone up, due to political pressure. The ever-present threat from the Tories is always there for the BBC.

There's a completely rational argument in favour of the BBC, and calling it a national treasure is useful shorthand rather than anything else. Or perhaps you'd rather not pay the licence fee and get a Government voice-piece to issue the news? A sort of British equivalent of Russia Today? Not for me, thanks.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Govt: We're not paying for over 75s any more. You tell em.
BBC: We're not paying for over 75s any more.
Govt: That's so snide what you're doing.
Over 75’s: This is a disgrace, you’ll be taking away my mortgage free house, free bus travel, heating allowance all subsidised by those pesky young people who are out working.

Edited for you. [emoji106]

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Why do you think the BBC is having to make this move? Because its hands are tied politically and it can't raise the TV license fee.

Free, independent news is just as much of a national treasure as the NHS, but you wouldn't think so reading some of the comments online.

The BBC is as far from independent news as it can be. How many times do you see Farage & Rees-Mogg interviewed compared with Caroline Lucas or Vince Cable.

Channel 4 news is far more balanced.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Worth also remembering it's not everyone over 75 who will suddenly have to pay but those who are sufficiently well off not to have to claim a particular pension credit.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
The BBC is as far from independent news as it can be. How many times do you see Farage & Rees-Mogg interviewed compared with Caroline Lucas or Vince Cable.

Channel 4 news is far more balanced.

They're trying to strike a balance between educating and informing. I hope you're exagerating to make a point re "far from independent news as it can be" - I'd say Fox News falls into that category, not the BBC.

Oh, and FWIW C4 also receive a percentage of the license fee.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Nowhere near as much as it should have gone up, due to political pressure. The ever-present threat from the Tories is always there for the BBC.

There's a completely rational argument in favour of the BBC, and calling it a national treasure is useful shorthand rather than anything else. Or perhaps you'd rather not pay the licence fee and get a Government voice-piece to issue the news? A sort of British equivalent of Russia Today? Not for me, thanks.

There we go Biscuit, emotions running high.
Of course I don't want Russia Today.
Why should I?

P.S. Would a Labour Government also be an ever present threat to the Beeb?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here