Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Does anyone on here use a DASHCAM ?

0 Not allowed!
    I'm kicking around the idea of getting one. I've thought about doing it a few times but never quite got round to it. Then the other day I was westbound on the inside lane of the Old Shoreham Road near Benfield, and some utter NIMROD cut right across me from the outside lane, jammed on his brakes and pulled straight into that offroad parking bit just before the library, almost taking my front wing with him. I've only had this car a couple of weeks, so frustratingly couldn't find my HORN in time to give him a good BLAST.

Anyways, its got me back to thinking about installing a dashcam. I've heard it can also slightly reduce your insurance premiums. Anyone else invested ? Recommendations ? Looks like there's some decent ones floating about for £25-£30. Over to the wise sages of NSC (and I await Enrests inevitable thread with anticipation).
    "But you accept that there is an increased risk of vehicle/bat collision"

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      I've had one in the glove box of my car for about 6 months as I've never got round to fitting it, the more I drive the more I need to find time to fit it.

I'm no angel when it comes to driving but some of the stuff I've seen is an argument for capital punishment, my problem is I hate having wires all over the place so I want it to be hardwired in and the wires tucked away out of sight.

From what I found when I did my research the cheap ones can be fine in daylight but virtually useless at night, the extra money goes towards a better sensor that has better low light performance.

0 Not allowed!
      Ive got a Next base Dash cam. Was around £100 a couple of years back. Came in very handy after an accident I had on the M42, long story short I was hit in the back by a van [fleet vehicle]. The driver admitted responsibility at the scene however the companies insurance did everything they could to avoid paying up, saying I was changing lanes, braking unnecessarily etc. Because it was a motorway crash no other driver stopped / no witnesses so the dash cam was the only evidence available and enabled me to claim back costs / prove the accident was their fault. Would 100% recomend,

Edit: This is the one I have - if buying use Bozzas link! https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nextbase-31...s%2C130&sr=8-3
      You can tell them all that we'll stand or fall for Sussex by the Sea

2 Not allowed!
      You’ll want one with automatic saving upon impact.
      No good crashing, taken to hospital etc., meanwhile the dash cam is still recording (as plugged in etc.) and overwriting the SD cars that has the footage/evidence you need.
      Members

8 Not allowed!
      The wife has one but never remembers to get it out the glove box and use it. Its an ugly thing (cam not my wife) with a wire to the power. You have to remember to set it up and record every journey just in case which is a pain.

As more and more cars have parking cameras now, it would be easy be factory fitted, then it would be neat, discrete and the car can have a hidden hard drive making life and insurance much easier.
      You put your left leg in, your left leg out.

In, out, in, out and shake it all about...............

0 Not allowed!
      A couple of years ago when shopping around for car insurance, I found that one particular deal saved me £90 with a dashcam, so bought one for £50. Effectively a £40 saving and a free dash cam.

However last year, I struggled to find any insurance deals that took into account the dash cam. I now use it on my work vehicle for peace of mind really - the odds of an idiot on the road causing an accident and making it look like your fault is pretty likely. You could always use it as evidence for insurers/police/employers. Or, if the accident were your fault, you are not obligated to release the footage.

4 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by marcos3263 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      The wife has one but never remembers to get it out the glove box and use it. Its an ugly thing (cam not my wife) with a wire to the power. You have to remember to set it up and record every journey just in case which is a pain.
      I have always just left mine plugged in all the time. It turns itself on and off with the engine, and is always recording while the power is on. Not painful at all.
      On the BHA rollercoaster Icy Gull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I have always just left mine plugged in all the time. It turns itself on and off with the engine, and is always recording while the power is on. Not painful at all.
      Same. I feel much more comfortable having it too, as there is some seriously shit driving going on. In the event of an accident at least you have the footage. If it’s your fault remember to remove the dash cam before you get out of the car though
      Show me a good loser and I will show you a loser - Toto Wolff

0 Not allowed!
      Mine was about £30 from Amazon. Leave it plugged in. It has impact and proximity sensors so records anyone that comes near the front area of the car. Can't remember the name off hand. Wires are tucked into edge of windscreen and edge of door lining under the carpet and to the power outlet (cigarette lighter).
      face piles of trials, with smiles
      it riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      I’ve got a Garmin Nuvii satnav with a built in dash cam. Works for me