Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ostigard - Sold To Napoli 18/07/2022

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
“I need to take a choice and as I have always said, I need to play. I am not going to risk my career to sit on the bench so that’s my main thing as a football player.

So I want to play for a team where I can play rather than sit on the bench for a better team, so that’s my opinion on being a footballer, and that will be my main thing to think about.”

While its not exactly the same thing, I think it kind of indicates that he would be unwilling to sign a long term contract if he sees little chance of getting into the starting eleven - which is apparently not the case right now.

I'm beginning to doubt that we will ever see Ostigard in the Albion first team. There clearly is a disconnect in the player/club relationship (either from one side or other, or both).

We know that Albion's preferred method of doing business is to tie down their most promising young players on long term deals (even if they then go out on loan).

Ostigard has been on Albion's books for three years now - we must have all the info we need to make a decision on whether we see him as a key part of the first team moving forward, and yet apparently Potter wanted to "have a good look" at him in pre-season. As you suggest, we are currently short in the centre-back department right now, but he moves out on loan and only signs a one-year contract (although presumably with a further one-year option).

I just don't think Potter sees him as a mid/long term part of the Albion first team.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I just don't think Potter sees him as a mid/long term part of the Albion first team.

We have Dunk, Webster, Burn, Duffy and Veltman now (perhaps another one incoming)

In the mid/long term we have Roberts, Van Hecke, Tsengui and Dendoncker coming through, perhaps Potter rates them more than he does Ostigard

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'm beginning to doubt that we will ever see Ostigard in the Albion first team. There clearly is a disconnect in the player/club relationship (either from one side or other, or both).

We know that Albion's preferred method of doing business is to tie down their most promising young players on long term deals (even if they then go out on loan).

Ostigard has been on Albion's books for three years now - we must have all the info we need to make a decision on whether we see him as a key part of the first team moving forward, and yet apparently Potter wanted to "have a good look" at him in pre-season. As you suggest, we are currently short in the centre-back department right now, but he moves out on loan and only signs a one-year contract (although presumably with a further one-year option).

Possible.

He is not making it easy for himself though with the "either I'm a starter or I want to play elsewhere" thing - struggle to see what PL club would accept those demands from a player with no experience at PL level.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Poor decision IMO, really thought he’d start in the match day squad…..

Feels in this instance we’ve weakened our squad.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We have Dunk, Webster, Burn, Duffy and Veltman now (perhaps another one incoming)

In the mid/long term we have Roberts, Van Hecke, Tsengui and Dendoncker coming through, perhaps Potter rates them more than he does Ostigard

Indeed. And Van Hecke is only just over 7 months younger than Østigård so maybe the competition is closer than might be assumed.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Yes, good post - makes you wonder

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Absolutely agree. He had the option of playing three at the back on Saturday night with JV at right wing back and Ostigard playing, say, the first half and Duffy trying to fit in during the second.

Ostigard got one minute plus stoppage time and Duffy not much more. That suggests to me that Potter doesn't fancy him (nor does he much more fancy Duffy in that role).

It does beg the question "what are we going to do with our fringe CBs?". Clarke seems to be another permanent loanee and I've absolutely no idea what our long term plans for Dendonker, van Hecke and Roberts are. Presumably we'll try and get something out of one of the three in the future? With your expert knowledge do you see any one of them in the box seat and / or close to the firsts this season?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I suspect he has been sent out on loan and given a particular issue to address, and I think that issue is the number of bookings he picks up. I know he was booked 12 times last season, the most of any player in the division, but do you know if he is just a bit too fiery, can't time his tackles well enough, or was left horribly exposed often and had to stop his man whatever the cost?

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

I think the next few weeks will be telling.

If we sign another CB then I think that signals we don't see a future for Ostigard. If we don't sign anyone and Duffy stays, then I could see Ostigard moving into the 1st team next season (assuming he does well at Stoke).

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Absolutely agree. He had the option of playing three at the back on Saturday night with JV at right wing back and Ostigard playing, say, the first half and Duffy trying to fit in during the second.

Ostigard got one minute plus stoppage time and Duffy not much more. That suggests to me that Potter doesn't fancy him (nor does he much more fancy Duffy in that role).

It does beg the question "what are we going to do with our fringe CBs?". Clarke seems to be another permanent loanee and I've absolutely no idea what our long term plans for Dendonker, van Hecke and Roberts are. Presumably we'll try and get something out of one of the three in the future? With your expert knowledge do you see any one of them in the box seat and / or close to the firsts this season?

I appreciate the compliment but I certainly wouldn't claim to have any special ability to pick out a future first-teamer. I've literally never seen van Hecke play, so I have no insight on him (he is apparently injured at the moment, although I have no idea how serious that is). I simply can't imagine Roberts being involved in the PL squad this season (it was Antef Tsoungui who had some involvement at Luton and Rangers with no sign of Haydon). And you would think Dendoncker would need to have a spell out on loan as the next step in his development.

Based upon what we have seen in pre-season it is difficult to imagine any of our young CBs are going to make the PL squad this campaign.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I appreciate the compliment but I certainly wouldn't claim to have any special ability to pick out a future first-teamer. I've literally never seen van Hecke play, so I have no insight on him (he is apparently injured at the moment, although I have no idea how serious that is). I simply can't imagine Roberts being involved in the PL squad this season (it was Antef Tsoungui who had some involvement at Luton and Rangers with no sign of Haydon). And you would think Dendoncker would need to have a spell out on loan as the next step in his development.

Based upon what we have seen in pre-season it is difficult to imagine any of our young CBs are going to make the PL squad this campaign.

I've seen a bit of Van Hecke and he is clearly a very promising player, it was rumoured that PSV wanted him on loan for next season and they are not shabby. And Heerenveen immediatly wanted to extend the loan as well but Brighton wanted to bring him back for pre-season and take a look. I have a feeling the club wants to loan him elsewhere than to Holland since they play man-man defense there which is something no one else is doing and it would take time to adapt to English football. But he looks promising - struggle to see him playing in the PL this season though. Hopefully his injury isnt too bad and a nice loan deal can be found.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Got to be a chance that GPott is going with a back 4 - that means less pressure to have multiple centre halves and also means big Shane can be utilised in an orthodox 2.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Got to be a chance that GPott is going with a back 4 - that means less pressure to have multiple centre halves and also means big Shane can be utilised in an orthodox 2.

Seems like a bit of a backward step if Duffy is the answer - but maybe he'll only be back-up in case of injuries. It will leave GP with the option of squeezing another of our growing army of midfielders into the elevin though.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Seems like a bit of a backward step if Duffy is the answer - but maybe he'll only be back-up in case of injuries. It will leave GP with the option of squeezing another of our growing army of midfielders into the elevin though.

It is easy to forget (especially as it’s been a while) that at his best Shane Duffy is a very good player. He’d be fine in a 4 and I wouldn’t see it as a backwards step.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

If four at the back is indeed the preferred situation, Webster and Dunk will be the first choices by a gigantic margin.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

Sometimes you have to take a step sidewards or even backwards to progress. After last year might be difficult to loan Duffy out so we will be saddled with hi wages so keep him as your reserve, you know what you have and lack of playing won't damage him . The youngsters will all progress by playing real meaningful games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here