Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Jofra Archer - can someone explain

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Obviously a very good cricketer. It appears he's played a couple times for Sussex over the past three years, but no regular appearances. Now, suddenly he's English and still with Sussex. He's played for England this year, but has he yet played for Sussex? Is he likely to actually turn out for Sussex this summer? I can't understand the point of Sussex (or any other County for that matter) having a player on their books who never plays for them.

I would love to understand how this whole process works, and what benefit, if any, a county gains from having an England player in their squad.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Obviously a very good cricketer. It appears he's played a couple times for Sussex over the past three years, but no regular appearances. Now, suddenly he's English and still with Sussex. He's played for England this year, but has he yet played for Sussex? Is he likely to actually turn out for Sussex this summer? I can't understand the point of Sussex (or any other County for that matter) having a player on their books who never plays for them.

I would love to understand how this whole process works, and what benefit, if any, a county gains from having an England player in their squad.

I think that if a player gets a Central Contract the ECB takes over paying his wages and I think some cash goes to the players county for " Services lost " .

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Will probably be in the test team so doubt if he will play for Sussex this season.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Will probably be in the test team so doubt if he will play for Sussex this season.

Almost certainly. Michael Vaughn said he fully expected Archer to make the Ashes squad.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
How many players do BHA ‘have’ at the moment who’ll never play for the Albion? Tau, MacAllister, the bloke in Romania, the one in Norway?

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 5, 2014
I think that if a player gets a Central Contract the ECB takes over paying his wages and I think some cash goes to the players county for " Services lost " .

He's not centrally contracted as yet. Only called up recently.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
He's not centrally contracted as yet. Only called up recently.
Sussex will be well compensated for Jofra's time with England. Hopefully we might see him at Hove once or twice.

Eeyore

Apr 5, 2014

He's been a regular since the 2016 season.

Before then he was playing at Horsham. His father is English and he went through the qualification period which was seven years although I think it may now be about four. Hence his call up.

Eeyore

Apr 5, 2014
Sussex will be well compensated for Jofra's time with England. Hopefully we might see him at Hove once or twice.

I guess it depends on whether he gets a Test call up. He'll be contracted to the one day squad soon for sure. I think he has the potential to be the new Joel Garner- only a far better batsman !

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Pre-season and whenever he needs to blow some cobwebs out I reckon.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
In my view, Archer is a better red ball cricketer than white ball and if fit, should be nailed on for the Ashes.

Quite simply the most exciting young player I have seen at Sussex in decades, and a very genuine, humble guy. He deserves all his success because in addition to his obvious talent, he has worked hard to hone his skills and is always ready to learn.

Hope he tears the Australians a new one.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
In my view, Archer is a better red ball cricketer than white ball

and if fit, should be nailed on for the Ashes.

Quite simply the most exciting young player I have seen at Sussex in decades,

and a very genuine, humble guy.

He deserves all his success because in addition to his obvious talent,

he has worked hard to hone his skills and is always ready to learn.

Hope he tears the Australians a new one.

yep
yep
yep
yep
yep
yep
and
yep

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Quite simply the most exciting young player I have seen at Sussex in decades.

But that's my point, he's so good we'll never see him playing for Sussex. Problem is there's far too much international cricket. Ted Dexter was a great cricketer and played regularly for England, but also played regularly for Sussex.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
The game has certainly changed. Older gits will remember the Sussex teams of the 60s with predominantly 'authentically' Sussex-based players (the Buss brothers, Langridge, Lenham, and the like). Mind you, Ted Dexter was born in Rome.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The game has certainly changed. Older gits will remember the Sussex teams of the 60s with predominantly 'authentically' Sussex-based players (the Buss brothers, Langridge, Lenham, and the like). Mind you, Ted Dexter was born in Rome.

Old gits older than you would know Sussex Captain from the 1930's Duleepsinhji http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/player/11951.html

Old gits not even alive would have known Sussex cricket captain 1899-1903 Ranjitsinhji https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranjitsinhji

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Old gits older than you would know Sussex Captain from the 1930's Duleepsinhji http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/player/11951.html

Old gits not even alive would have known Sussex cricket captain 1899-1903 Ranjitsinhji https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranjitsinhji

Oh come on - Duleepsinhji was from Lancing (head prefect at Boundstone Comp), and Rantisinhji's parents ran the corner shop in Ferring.

But I do remember the Nawab of Pataudi who tunred out for Sussex in the 60s and who seemed impossibly exotic (well, compared to Ken Suttle he did)..

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I remember some of the old Sussex batting order. Parker and Graves were stalwarts in the order for years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here