Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Ashworth

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I find it incredible that people don't believe a person of Ashworth's stature, with a glowing reputation, supposedly linked with ManUtd and other jobs, is going to turn up at Brighton and not give his opinion, or start to shape what he feels should be going on across the coaching spectrum from first team to U8s. Whether that is a negative impact or not is pure conjecture, to suggest there has been no impact is just naive.

The decisiveness of the decision to sack Hughton doesn't ring true of an owner than procrastinated over Hyppia, turned the Poyet situation into a saga, struggled to acknowledge Burke wasn't right for the club. Conjecture of course, but the swift confidence of this decision strikes me as coming beyond just Bloom and Barber.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I find it incredible that people don't believe a person of Ashworth's stature, with a glowing reputation, supposedly linked with ManUtd and other jobs, is going to turn up at Brighton and not give his opinion, or start to shape what he feels should be going on across the coaching spectrum from first team to U8s. Whether that is a negative impact or not is pure conjecture, to suggest there has been no impact is just naive.

The decisiveness of the decision to sack Hughton doesn't ring true of an owner than procrastinated over Hyppia, turned the Poyet situation into a saga, struggled to acknowledge Burke wasn't right for the club. Conjecture of course, but the swift confidence of this decision strikes me as coming beyond just Bloom and Barber.

Bloom might not be as daft as you imagine.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

This

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Bloom might not be as daft as you imagine.

Bloom is not daft in the slightest. What people seem to forget is he is a fan first sometimes who's heart is in the club as much as his head when they talk business decisions. He has employed Ashworth to help him make these kind of calls. Therefore I don't see how people can say the appointment is irrelevant, or has had no impact.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
We're all experts on here, especially when emotionally charged and pissed! ;-)

he must have done something since arriving . . .obviously no one here knows.

I’m not one to criticise,@zafarelly, but, I think that the critics within our fan base have had as much influence as Ashworth has.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
'The Vision' as described by those who have heard it is along the lines of ..... if an alien arrived in the outer atmosphere and peered down to see a football match with Albion (first team , U23's or U18/U16's) V a.n.other team in simple non de script colours then the alien would be able to identify Albion by the style of play , formation & tactics.

The idea probably got the answer , " they can already tell that as we are the only team with 10 defenders plus a goalkeeper " and that would not have gone down too well with DA , PB or TB. The idea being all squads will use the same basic system , formation & tactics to give consistency through the club so players could make the step up more easily than they currently do.

Just one of the reasons CH had to be shown the door in the end and that DA will be over seeing the implementation similar to he did at England.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
I said this on another thread

Dan Ashworth is now the most powerful employee at Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club.

He has the power to influence (or actioning himself), hiring and firing of everyone on the football side of the club.

From the manager\coach to the new youth team trainee.

Not bad considering he’s only been here four months.

He is the “conduit” between the football management and the Board.

It’s a bit like on a company board, when you have a Director of Strategy or an IT Director. Most of the Board won’t understand IT, and Strategy is always in the future, so there’s never much accountability and someone else can always be blamed.

The new manager will not have as much access to the Board as CH has had, if I was DA I would make sure of that.

He’s obviously a very clever guy, and I think we will see two to three more managers here, before he moves on to bigger clubs than ours.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere

Dan Ashworth is now the most powerful employee at Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club.

He has the power to influence (or actioning himself), hiring and firing of everyone on the football side of the club.

It’s a bit like on a company board, when you have a Director of Strategy or an IT Director. Most of the Board won’t understand IT, and Strategy is always in the future, so there’s never much accountability and someone else can always be blamed.

The new manager will not have as much access to the Board as CH has had, if I was DA I would make sure of that.

He’s obviously a very clever guy, and I think we will see two to three more managers here, before he moves on to bigger clubs than ours.

The IT Director at my work acts as a conduit between the coffee machine and the kharzi.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton

Although he reports into Barber... an employee of the club

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
In 2016 Dan Ashworth appointed Steve Cooper as England u16 head coach, the following year they won the u17 World Cup.

In 2017 Ashworth appointed Paul Simpson as England u20 head coach, they went on to win the u20 World Cup that year.

The guy seems to know what he is doing when identifying good coaches.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Identification must be the easy bit, luring them to your side is the challenge, aided and abetted by a fat wadd or three no doubt.

In 2016 Dan Ashworth appointed Steve Cooper as England u16 head coach, the following year they won the u17 World Cup.

In 2017 Ashworth appointed Paul Simpson as England u20 head coach, they went on to win the u20 World Cup that year.

The guy seems to know what he is doing when identifying good coaches.

Albion Prem

Nov 23, 2018
Lindfield
Its so funny how so many people on here are mentioning his name every time something bad happens with the club. He has had no impact on team formation, tactics, selection or anything else that has caused the unfortunate departure of CH. Look at his track record for crying out loud, especially how he transformed the whole England set up. Clubs much bigger than us were coveting him. We have one of the most modern and forward thinking brains in the game today at our club.

Would he be a relation of yours?????

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Its so funny how so many people on here are mentioning his name every time something bad happens with the club. He has had no impact on team formation, tactics, selection or anything else that has caused the unfortunate departure of CH. Look at his track record for crying out loud, especially how he transformed the whole England set up. Clubs much bigger than us were coveting him. We have one of the most modern and forward thinking brains in the game today at our club.

Funny isn’t it. Paul Barber now gets some breathing space from the keyboard haters.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
So once again, NSC proves that nobody has a clue whats going on....Ashworth is either the main cause of this or had nothing to do with it, or any shade of grey inbetween...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Tony Bloom didn’t turn the Poyet ending into a saga - the club simply followed advice on employment law, due process took time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Mr Bloom wanted to sack Hughton after the Cardiff game.
So there was some procrastination, on his part.

Bloom is not daft in the slightest. What people seem to forget is he is a fan first sometimes who's heart is in the club as much as his head when they talk business decisions. He has employed Ashworth to help him make these kind of calls. Therefore I don't see how people can say the appointment is irrelevant, or has had no impact.

As said elsewhere, the 'rot' had well and truly set in long before Ashworth arrived.
If this decision was a power play, coup d'état, fait accompli, whatever fancy phrase you like, Mr Hughton made the decision very very easy by seemingly doing nothing to stop the inevitable.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here