Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Didn’t think you’d be brave enough to sack him

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We're talking about 'the best decision the club has EVER made'.

Please remind me how many seasons we have had in the top flight in our history?

Please remind me how many FA Cup semi finals we have reached in our history?

Please remind me where we were when Hughton took over?

Are you in a room with [MENTION=24517]Silk[/MENTION]? Perhaps between the two of you you could work out what that statement is in reference to.

In the history of this football club, sacking Hughton because the football wasn't quite good enough but keeping us in the top flight won't be the best decision we've ever made, because there are plenty of other times we've had to make a decision in a far worse predicament.

The best decision this club has made, in recent history at least, was the appointment of Chris Hughton and turning us from staring League One in the face, to sacking a manager for keeping us up in not quite enough style. Think on that if you will.

Nice attempt, but I'm afraid 'in not quite enough style' is the understatement of the decade... how about 'playing the worst football we've seen since Sam H was boss'?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Nice attempt, but I'm afraid 'in not quite enough style' is the understatement of the decade... how about 'playing the worst football we've seen since Sam H was boss'?

Backs up my argument still. Thanks. :thumbsup:

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
We're talking about 'the best decision the club has EVER made'.

Please remind me how many seasons we have had in the top flight in our history?

Please remind me how many FA Cup semi finals we have reached in our history?

Please remind me where we were when Hughton took over?

Are you in a room with [MENTION=24517]Silk[/MENTION]? Perhaps between the two of you you could work out what that statement is in reference to.

In the history of this football club, sacking Hughton because the football wasn't quite good enough but keeping us in the top flight won't be the best decision we've ever made, because there are plenty of other times we've had to make a decision in a far worse predicament.

The best decision this club has made, in recent history at least, was the appointment of Chris Hughton and turning us from staring League One in the face, to sacking a manager for keeping us up in not quite enough style. Think on that if you will.

I don’t quite get this. It may not be the best decision we have ever made, but how do you measure that? You can’t rerun history.

And, frankly it doesn’t matter whether it is not the best ever made, it matters only whether it is the best in the current circumstances, and IMO it is.

FA cup semi was lucky because an opposing keeper from a lower League team resulting from a fortunate QF draw chucked the ball in the net. I wish he hadn’t, and we had gone out then just because the SF was another bit of wallpaper covering serious cracks. Yes, it was a great day, but it ain’t a Final and who remembers FA cup semi finalists?

The problem for you and many others is dwelling on what CH has done. It has been great, and I am grateful for his services and achievements, I was too to GP (who actually took us up more League places than CH) but he ended as damaged goods too. BUT CH was not the FUTURE. That is all that matters, not what he has done in the past.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I don’t quite get this. It may not be the best decision we have ever made, but how do you measure that? You can’t rerun history.

And, frankly it doesn’t matter whether it is not the best ever made, it matters only whether it is the best in the current circumstances, and IMO it is.

Why did you continue passed this point if it doesn't matter? I made a comment to another poster who said it might be the best decision we've ever made. If it doesn't matter, why have you commented on a post I made to someone else?

I'm not dwelling on anything, you've just caught the wrong end of the stick.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Why did you continue passed this point if it doesn't matter? I made a comment to another poster who said it might be the best decision we've ever made. If it doesn't matter, why have you commented on a post I made to someone else?

Did you not post: Doesn't matter if we go on to win the league then the European Cup, sacking Hughton still won't be the best decision we've ever made, because he STILL would have been the person to set that up. Easy to understand right?

I am responding to this.

D

Deleted member 2719

This.

Norwich fans have been waiting 5 years to say "told you so". Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

That's because this leopard couldn't change his spots and they knew it and some Albion cottoned on to this early doors.

Hoping for a chameleon next time.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Sorry to see all the criticism the club has had in the media

Far more than even we had at Norwich

You can enjoy watching football again now ��

Hopefully not at our expense next season

I'm not 'happy' that he has been sacked, even if I'm not surprised. I guess that unlike you guys, we'll always hold him in the highest regard.

If Tony Bloom had stuck by him, I'd have been OK with that. I'd have been prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt.

However, I trust Tony's judgment.

I'm sure that Tony is like the rest of us and takes no joy from this decision.

Wish you well next year - except for against us, obviously.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Did you not post: Doesn't matter if we go on to win the league then the European Cup, sacking Hughton still won't be the best decision we've ever made, because he STILL would have been the person to set that up. Easy to understand right?

I am responding to this.

Which I then explained my thinking to you, which you then said "and, frankly it doesn’t matter whether it is or not the best ever made". So where do we go with it? That is the only point I was making. I don't disagree, every decision has a context, hence no one will ever be in a position to say 'that's the best decision we've ever made'. So in essence you are agreeing with my point.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think next season could be one of the toughest ever to survive especially if Villa win the playoffs

What? I thought Norwich were going to be a "breath of fresh air" in the Premier League, with your goals galore and your expansive attacking football? I'm pretty sure that's what BT Sport's Jake Humphrey recently informed us. Not like boring old Brighton!

I must admit, I cannot wait to see how Norwich's thrilling football sets the Premier League alight. I presume you'll be starting out aiming to challenge Wolves for seventh, then perhaps setting your sights more on the top four once you've settled in (say by, what, November?).

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
That's because this leopard couldn't change his spots and they knew it and some Albion cottoned on to this early doors.

Early doors, as in his first full 2 seasons, where we finished top scorers in one season and got promoted the following? Anyone that cancelled their ST prior to those seasons did well in missing out on all of those tedious games where we regularly put 3+ past the opposition and were statistically more likely to score on a lightning quick counter from an opponent's corner than they were from the corner itself.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
But a lot of the Premier League football played by at least six of the clubs is not really anything to get excited about. Norwich will probably find that out next season if you struggle and start losing every week........i think it unfair to shout this about Hughtons tenure at Brighton and Norwich. His departure is a huge gamble by our chairman, understandable but a gamble. If we go down under a new manager we are less likely to return than if we kept Hughton in charge.

I wonder that if we had been relegated we would not have sacked CH...not that would be ironic

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
What? I thought Norwich were going to be a "breath of fresh air" in the Premier League, with your goals galore and your expansive attacking football? I'm pretty sure that's what BT Sport's Jake Humphrey recently informed us. Not like boring old Brighton!

I must admit, I cannot wait to see how Norwich's thrilling football sets the Premier League alight. I presume you'll be starting out aiming to challenge Wolves for seventh, then perhaps setting your sights more on the top four once you've settled in (say by, what, November?).

We have been sensational yes, but would be a bit cocky to just assume survival despite 8 of the last 10 champions staying up the following season. We have some amazing players and a great manager but there are some huge budgets in the premier league compared to ourselves.

Of course we’ll be a breath of fresh air with our dynamic attacking football but the fact remains there shouldn’t be as many awful teams as recent seasons which keeps it quite an open relegation battle

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Kept us up twice. As he would have done you, had your club not been so pig ignorant.

Go back and have a look at Norwich’s form that season, and at who their last five fixtures were against when they fired him. Then say again you think he’d have kept them up.

They were done for, they booted him in the hope of getting a miracle, which they didn’t get.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
No, the biggest difference is that we had 3 years with him PRIOR to the Premier league during which he turned us from Championship relegation candidates to promotion candidates to actually being promoted in 2 short years. Oh and we dicked your shower 5-0 in the process. And whilst that was a couple of years ago now, your fans were harping on about him being boring even then.

So forgive us for taking your "told you so" bollocks with a grain of salt, because some of you bumpkins have been banging on about it for years.

:clap::clap:

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
Go back and have a look at Norwich’s form that season, and at who their last five fixtures were against when they fired him. Then say again you think he’d have kept them up.

They were done for, they booted him in the hope of getting a miracle, which they didn’t get.

Although we did actually finish above the 2 teams directly below us when he was sacked. It was Sunderland who were bottom with 3 games in hand and finished 14th who relegated us. In order to stay up we needed to overtake a team already above us and with that horror run in.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof

Are you for ****ing real? Early doors as in when he kept us in the Championship or early doors as in when he got us promoted to the Premier League?

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

That’s good, then.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Let me explain....

Hughton's sacking is a risk the Albion had to take as we would like to stay in the Premier league beyond next season and a few more years to come.

It will be impossible to say next May, or the one after that, or the one after that, whether a relegation was caused by sacking CH. He may well have taken us down, again, impossible to say.

Instead, time to look to the future, and not to hope for a relegation to ‘prove’ an argument.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We have been sensational yes, but would be a bit cocky to just assume survival despite 8 of the last 10 champions staying up the following season. We have some amazing players and a great manager but there are some huge budgets in the premier league compared to ourselves.

Of course we’ll be a breath of fresh air with our dynamic attacking football but the fact remains there shouldn’t be as many awful teams as recent seasons which keeps it quite an open relegation battle

The problem is that dynamic attacking Championship football soon gets reined in, when the array of PL internationals soon start picking you off with goals and wins.

The attacking football, with countless goals, of Brighton and Huddersfield, had to be tempered as attacking players got sucked back to help overrun FB’s etc.

Wolves maintained it, by ‘acquiring’ a further batch of brilliant continental players on big money.

D

Deleted member 2719

Are you for ****ing real? Early doors as in when he kept us in the Championship or early doors as in when he got us promoted to the Premier League?

I'm not going into this one again, but just a bit especially for you it was after I saw the way he set the team up for the relegation fight. Fecking boring and dead lucky.
I get he got success but with more money and support that any Albion manager has had in our history, and we still didn't go for the jugular of team when we could have.
I assumed you loved our style of football?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here