Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton leaves with immediate effect

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So, the day after... I'm still not sure how I feel about this.

I want to believe that next season, Chris would have identified what had gone wrong, made some changes and we would have progressed. We were progressing until January. With some new personnel I think next season we'd be fairly certain to stay up.

I think this would have been a really hard decision for Bloom to make. He's thinking about the liklihood that we start badly next year and the chaos of changing a manager during a campaign. So making a harder decision now might be better than making an easy decision with worse consequences. I can respect that and I think it's what a lot of the pundits and twitter experts are missing.

The split in opinion between fans and the wider footballing community is heavily influenced by what a model pro Hughton has been. He's the perfect figurehead for this club and I don't think any of us will forget that in a hurry.

Saying that, I think that's our biggest problem. We're a bit of an Arsenal. A bit of a soft touch. We never come back from a losing position. We rarely show true courage in matches. We love being the underdog, but can't motivate ourselves against lesser opposition. That's a big problem and one which has ultimately been Hughton's undoing. We show grit at the back, but toothless going forward. That's not really sustainable.

So we bring someone in to fix it. But who? Who is going to be more likely to lead us to safety before May? Graham Potter?... I hope so, but I'm really struggling to have that kind of imagination.

I agree with most of what you say but where has the bit in bold come from? We were 2-0 down against Fulham at home early in the season and drew 2-0, similar at Southampton away, and forced a point from both Newcastle & Arsenal after going 1-0 down.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
What went wrong after we saked Mike Bailey and why won’t the same thing happen now that we’ve sacked Chris Hughton? There are some similarities in the situation, could someone explain (reassure) to me why history isn’t about to repeat itself.

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
I agree with most of what you say but where has the bit in bold come from? We were 2-0 down against Fulham at home early in the season and drew 2-0, similar at Southampton away, and forced a point from both Newcastle & Arsenal after going 1-0 down.

If all our losses were draws we’d be mid table :)

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
This is Chris Hughton's record as a manager -
2009-2010 - promotion with Newcastle
2010-2011 - sacked in December with Newcastle in 11th
2011-2012 - Birmingham finished 4th - lost in the play-off to Blackpool
2012-2013 - Norwich finished 11th
2013-2104 - Sacked in April with Norwich 17th and 5 points above the relegation zone - Norwich are subsequently relegated.
2014-2015 - After leaving Norwich Hughton turns down several offers of assistant manager in the Premiership - December - Brighton sack Hyppia with Brighton in 23rd - Hughton keeps Brighton in Championship
2015-2016 - Brighton finish 3rd and lose in the play-offs
2016-2017 - Brighton promoted
2017-2018 - Brighton finish 15th in Premiership
2018-2019 - Brighton finish 18th in Premiership - and Hughton gets sacked.

Over his entire career Chris Hughton has never had a team in the relegation zone except for a three game stretch in October 2013 with Norwich when they played Chelsea, Arsenal and Man City. He has never been relegated as a manager - he has won two promotions to the Premiership and also been in the play-offs twice. Every single team he has managed improved on where they were before he took over as manager.

As a football manager the guy is incredibly underrated - he knows how to get the job done - and, as is clear from the article by Paul Hayward, he was handed a bit of a dogs dinner this season - and still managed to keep Brighton in the Premiership. He will have teams after him and has already been linked with Celtic and WBA. Bloom made a big mistake by sacking him.

If we had finished 18th in the premier League we would have been relegated

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
2013-2104 - Sacked in April with Norwich 17th and 5 points above the relegation zone - Norwich are subsequently relegated.
2014-2015 - After leaving Norwich Hughton turns down several offers of assistant manager in the Premiership - December - Brighton sack Hyppia with Brighton in 23rd - Hughton keeps Brighton in Championship

Over his entire career Chris Hughton has never had a team in the relegation zone except for a three game stretch in October 2013 with Norwich when they played Chelsea, Arsenal and Man City. He has never been relegated as a manager - he has won two promotions to the Premiership and also been in the play-offs twice. Every single team he has managed improved on where they were before he took over as manager.

As a football manager the guy is incredibly underrated - he knows how to get the job done - and, as is clear from the article by Paul Hayward, he was handed a bit of a dogs dinner this season - and still managed to keep Brighton in the Premiership. He will have teams after him and has already been linked with Celtic and WBA. Bloom made a big mistake by sacking him.

More non-BHA fans letting us know what a mistake we have made.

I didn't want CH out, but boy is this shit becoming tedious now - as if we have unfairly sacked the finest manager we could possibly aspire to and without fault. Forgive me for having a slightly more balanced opinion, having spent a small fortune watching his football home and away for over 4 seasons.

There isn't a single BHA fan out there who wouldn't describe Chris Hughton as a great manager, only those that may argue his time was up and the writing was on the wall. This isn't a set of fans who want to "take the next step" or those thinking above our station, it's based on performances and general stagnation.

Bloom has been decisive in the face of the fanbase being split, this is not fan influenced as we have been collectively supportive throughout. We'll see what happens.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
What went wrong after we saked Mike Bailey and why won’t the same thing happen now that we’ve sacked Chris Hughton? There are some similarities in the situation, could someone explain (reassure) to me why history isn’t about to repeat itself.

How do you know we won't progress? Like Southampton did after Adkins?

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes

Dogs Dinner?? Where the hell do you get that from?
Bloom has not yet made a mistake sacking him, only time will tell on that one.
Oh, and can we drag you kicking and screaming into 2019? The top division hasn't been the Premiership for about 20 years.
We've got your opinion, now bugger off to whoever it is you support.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I didn’t say that, I asked what went wrong last time we were in a similar situation, and why (hopefully) won’t it happen again. I was only 9 when Bailey was sacked and don’t really know why we plummeted so quickly. Was it entirely down to Mike Bamber’s death?

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015

Southampton had -
Nathaniel Clyne
Morgan Schneiderlin
Jay Rodriguez
James Ward-Prowse
Adam Lallana
Luke Shaw
José Fonte
and
Rickie Lambert who scored 15 goals that season.

The following season Rodriquez and Lambert scored 28 goals between them. The also bought Sadio Mane the following year.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
I didn’t say that, I asked what went wrong last time we were in a similar situation, and why (hopefully) won’t it happen again. I was only 9 when Bailey was sacked and don’t really know why we plummeted so quickly. Was it entirely down to Mike Bamber’s death?

It’s a very good question.

Hopefully this time we have the finances to keep investing year on year. That didn’t happen in the latter stages of Mike Bailey’s time.

Bailey did a great job initially, but fans were not happy with the style of play even though we were beating some of the top teams.

After Xmas 81, form fell away winning only two of fourteen games and player unrest started. The club was falling more into debt and hardly any new players came in. Relegation threatened with defensive tactics led to his “mutual consent” exit. Melia took over and it got worse but the Cup run papered over the cracks.

Some similarities to today, but hopefully investment, including wages, will start to match our direct competitors.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

But our recruitment over last three years by this recruitment team has been pretty good. Three summers ago Murray and Duffy to bolster a 3rd place team and get promotion. Two summers ago we got ryan, propper, gross, Izquierdo who were all key in our staying up. Then last summer we got montoya, bissouma, andone, Bernardo who we were all very happy with Christmas time and haven't been the problem since. Jahanbahksh has been disappointing but jury probably out on a player who has only really been past of the side during the defensive dross of the last few months. And then locadia who was a bit of a desperation ploy in January. Can't win them all but it's hardly a dogs dinner

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Hughton has had all the tools to be successful here, and he has been. He's been remarkably successful and that will never be forgotten. This season we did have some dreadful luck with injuries, no Izquierdo all season and with players frequently dipping in and out. Gross was half the player he was last season, and he too struggled with injuries for the majority of the season.

But even considering all of this, we had the squad to cope and we have players who simply didn't perform when they played. Knockaert and March were played frequently but contributed positively in an attacking sense once every 4/5 games. Obviously, that's not good enough. Glenn Murray scored a very healthy number of goals, he couldn't have done any more than he did. Duffy scored a handful as well, but we had just 1 goal from central midfield all season. Gross scored a couple as well, and the wingers contributed another 3/4 (albeit a match winning and season saving winner at Palace from Knockaert). No goals from full backs though. It's obvious what our problem was, and there was never an attempt to address it by altering tactics or utilising the players who were fit and available.

A thoroughly disappointing season but a success in terms of staying up, and dragging ourselves to a Wembley FA Cup Semi-Final - and actually performing pretty well in it.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

So riddle me this: which other Premier League club would employ Chris Hughton as manager right now?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Out of interest, Andy Naylor was repeatedly sneeringly dismissive of Albion fans who were saying we should be doing better and/or calling for Hughton's head. People needed to be realistic and draw in their expectations etc.

Presumably he's said the same about the Albion board over the last 24 hours? Anyone?

Without being explicit, he's made it pretty clear that he thinks it was a shit decision.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I believe Paul Hayward is a Brighton fan, but I can't take his article as fact.
He has tried to present a case that nothing that went wrong this season was down to the manager and his coaching team.
Completely untrue and basically impossible!

'went wrong' - one of the weakest squads and one of the smallest budgets in the PL - and Hughton manages to keep the club from being relegated - jeez :eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here