Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton leaves with immediate effect

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
It was diabolical. Out of 38 PL matches, we only played well with attacking threats, against:

Watford H
Newcastle H (last 30 minutes)
ManU H
CP H
CP A
Fulham A (first half)
Leicester H against 10 men possibly?
Hudd A from the moment Mounie was sent off?

Leaving 60+ PL halves of losing football or mass 10 man Alamo defending.

Whether it was CH’s fault, or a lack of squad quality, crikey it was dire.

Disagree entirely - Loads of games we showed attacking intent. Burnley home for example - battered them to start with with Heaton having a world class showing in goal. Even if we pick our worst performance of the season (Cardiff at home) we started with attacking intent.
Not saying everything was great just disagreeing that the WHOLE season was poor.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Disagree entirely - Loads of games we showed attacking intent. Burnley home for example - battered them to start with with Heaton having a world class showing in goal. Even if we pick our worst performance of the season (Cardiff at home) we started with attacking intent.
Not saying everything was great just disagreeing that the WHOLE season was poor.

Let’s face it, at least 80% of the season was pretty shocking.

I’d rather we go down than watch another season like the one we had.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Simon Jordan nails it

@talkSPORT: “Sometimes you just run your course, it doesn’t mean you’ve done a bad job.”

“It’s just a change of direction that might be beneficial to the club,” ��

@Sjopinion10 on why Chris Hughton leaving #BHAFC isn’t a bad thing. �� https://twitter.com/talkSPORT/status/1128291927152103424/video/1

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think on balance there will be a lot of people now pondering this, I'm not in that space and not sure I ever will be but to each their own. Personally I still think some in the squad are too big for their boots, and are at best a championship team. But whatever the reason and the whys and wherefores, I still cannot reconcile the way it was done. That is not who we are nor how we operate. He will go down in history as one of our best, and we cut him off at the knees the day after celebrating on the pitch with his family. That is disrespectful and TB has lost a lot of cred with me for that alone. Very very unnecessary.

Yes but...........you don’t know how it happened. TB may, and I suspect he did, offer a ‘mutual consent’ option as a compromise. If he did, CH may have turned it down for reasons of pride, stubbornness or cash. Both outcomes entirely possible and likely in this situation. If that is the case, then TB had little option having made his decision. Don’t damn TB when you don’t know the circumstances ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yes but...........you don’t know how it happened. TB may, and I suspect he did, offer a ‘mutual consent’ option as a compromise. If he did, CH may have turned it down for reasons of pride, stubbornness or cash. Both outcomes entirely possible and likely in this situation. If that is the case, then TB had little option having made his decision. Don’t damn TB when you don’t know the circumstances ?

Agreed. Well, mainly agreed - I'm sure Bloom would have offered the same amount of cash regardless - I think he's honourable in that regard.

I have no inside knowledge but it feels like Hughton, if he really wasn't expecting this and believes he has done all asked of him, made Bloom sack him.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Let’s face it, at least 80% of the season was pretty shocking.

I’d rather we go down than watch another season like the one we had.

That's where we will have to agree to disagree.
Firstly I didn't find it that shocking (Feb onwards mostly but not before for me)
Secondly I would far rather we stay up and build than go down. I'm pretty sure TB would rather that too.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Agreed. Well, mainly agreed - I'm sure Bloom would have offered the same amount of cash regardless - I think he's honourable in that regard.

I have no inside knowledge but it feels like Hughton, if he really wasn't expecting this and believes he has done all asked of him, made Bloom sack him.

I agree re the cash element - no way Bloom would have shafted him....but it’s sometimes the reason why people won’t accept a compromise agreement. As you say, probably not in this case.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Having had a day and a half now to get over the shock of CH sacking, my initial feelings have changed.I’ve read a lot on here, and in the press, the Telegraph article , the Guardian one, and I can understand why Chris was sacked. Had our manager (ex) been a complete arsehat like Pardew, Alladyce, or even Mourinhio, I would have wanted him out 2 months ago, the football was dire, and , unfortunately the results weren’t good enough to justify it. However, Chris is such a decent human being, and taking our club from down among the dead men of the Championship to securing a third season in the PL, I thought he deserved the benefit of the doubt.

But, that wouldn’t have counted for anything next season, which I feel will be our hardest, no matter who is in charge, and, I don’t think Chris is up to it. I really hate saying that, and I feel a bit ashamed, but, it is my conclusion after the last 15 or so games.
Tony Bloom has got a huge amount of money invested in the club, and needs PL football at the club, and unfortunately, Chris has become a casualty of this essential requirement.

Yep, that's pretty much what I thought by last night. Although I think he *might* have been up to it – but we'll never know...

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands

Maybe, maybe not but it is clear he wasn't expecting this in the immediate aftermath of Man City.
100% wrong to allow a gent like CH to be interviewed on the pitch about next season when the chairman had already decided he was going.
Should have been done before the game (preferably by mutual consent) to allow fans to give him the send off he deserved.
Not sure how honourable Bloom is to be honest given he didn't even thank CH for his efforts in his programme notes. He has gone down a lot in my estimation over his handling of this.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I agree re the cash element - no way Bloom would have shafted him....but it’s sometimes the reason why people won’t accept a compromise agreement. As you say, probably not in this case.

Half the time football managers leave by 'mutual consent' it's a sacking anyway, isn't it? Just don't get why the official announcement couldn't say that, even if it had panned out as you suggest it might have?

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Because the club appointed a clown to succeed Mike Bailey aka Jimmy Melia.
I trust Bloom, Ashworth and Barber not to make the same mistake.

If they hadn't sacked Bailey in the first place ...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Half the time football managers leave by 'mutual consent' it's a sacking anyway, isn't it? Just don't get why the official announcement couldn't say that, even if it had panned out as you suggest it might have?

Kind of.......can only say that it if it’s actually the case though. Here, I’d guess it’s either CH wouldn’t agree to leave, or TB fired him without giving him the chance to agree. I suspect it’s the former - then, as we’ve seen, the club looks like the bad guy and CH gets all the sympathy. Mutual consent would imply some degree of admission of failure on CH’s part.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer

Well I do hope for TB's sake something comes out that makes what you say plausible. I really struggle to believe it would have been as bad as to deserve the treatment CH got.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Well I do hope for TB's sake something comes out that makes what you say plausible. I really struggle to believe it would have been as bad as to deserve the treatment CH got.

Unlikely anything will be communicated. CH is too private and too much of a gent to say anything and Bloom tries to keep any club business private. It’s not a question of it being ‘plausible’ - it’s perfectly normal in contract-terminating discussions. Also likely that Chris’s pay off precludes him from saying anything.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

An abiding memory will be heading down to the NS concourse after Bmuff stroked home their third on 74 minutes, to be greeted by literally 100’s boozing already singing “We f*cking shit ....”. In the great British traditions of irony and black humour, it was hilarious.

They’re the sort of results that get managers the sack, and so it came to pass.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Unlikely anything will be communicated. CH is too private and too much of a gent to say anything and Bloom tries to keep any club business private. It’s not a question of it being ‘plausible’ - it’s perfectly normal in contract-terminating discussions. Also likely that Chris’s pay off precludes him from saying anything.

I wasn't suggesting it would be communicated.

I don't think you understood. My use of the word plausible was only in relation to your suggestion that TB had "little option" to do it the way he did, ie your suggestion that TB has some plausible reason to support his approach. In my humble opinion there was no grounds to do it the way he did, but we will indeed never know.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I wasn't suggesting it would be communicated.

I don't think you understood. My use of the word plausible was only in relation to your suggestion that TB had "little option" to do it the way he did, ie your suggestion that TB has some plausible reason to support his approach. In my humble opinion there was no grounds to do it the way he did, but we will indeed never know.

Yes, but you’re judging ‘the way he did it’ without knowing how he did it.........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here